It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Back at it
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:19 pm • # 1 

Decided to go back for a little night action. This time it was during the full moon, we got to the creek before sunset.

We sat at the truck and enjoyed some beverages while waiting for it to get a little darker. Finally Time to head down to the water and hopefully have some fun.

We didn't see very many rodents on the way down. The usual loud splashes on the water were absent as well. Fishing was slow but I finally got the skunk off.

and the release

Fished for a couple hours more with no luck so it was decided to head back to the truck around 12:35 for some snacks and more beverages. I attempted a long exposure shot without the help of a tripod. I attempted to hold the camera still on the fence but the shots still came out a little blurry, this was the best of them.

We went back down to the water and fished for about two more hours with nothing to show for it. At that point we decided to call it and headed back to town.

Post subject: Re: Back at it
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:42 am • # 2 

Sasha: what's your overall verdict on night flyfishing? Is it as enjoyable as day fishing? (I wonder if you miss the visual aspects of angling?)
I ask because we are not permitted to fish from two hours after sunset to two hours before sunrise here in NB (at these latitudes, that works out to last light to first light). I have often wondered what we're missing.
(nice photos, as usual)
brent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 am • # 3 

Brent, on the Norfolk River in North Central Arkansas nighttime is considered the best time for catching huge browns and rainbows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:36 am • # 4 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, on the Norfolk River in North Central Arkansas nighttime is considered the best time for catching huge browns and rainbows.

Cliff: Not surprised! Have you tried it yourself? What's it like?

I used to do a lot of backcountry canoe camping, and we'd always hear very large fish smashing around in the darkness, in places where we'd caught smallish fish a few hours earlier. Sadly, our current law is based upon a long history of people poaching atlantic salmon at night on the Miramichi, Restigouche, and a handful of other rivers, mostly with nets. Rather than just rely upon existing laws precluding netting, the 'government' simply shut down the rivers at dark. That way, anyone found on the river at night could be charged. Same deal with a law we have that precludes fishing from bridges - ANY bridges. Poachers used to stand on bridges on salmon rivers and 'jig' salmon in the deep pools that form under bridges. So, no one can fish from bridges anywhere in the Province.
In my time in the dept, I initiated a couple of conversations directed at ending such laws, but there was no political will to do so.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:01 pm • # 5 

Very cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:07 pm • # 6 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Sasha: what's your overall verdict on night flyfishing? Is it as enjoyable as day fishing? (I wonder if you miss the visual aspects of angling?)
I ask because we are not permitted to fish from two hours after sunset to two hours before sunrise here in NB (at these latitudes, that works out to last light to first light). I have often wondered what we're missing.
(nice photos, as usual)
brent

Thank you,

Yes I personally love night fishing. The tactics are totally different and wading is quite interesting. There is something quite cool about being on a river at night, listening to all the sounds and basically blind casting and listening for a splash. There are typically no others on the water and it is quite tranquil. Besides the chance to hook a beast is just far too tempting. There is no sun beating down on you either. Overall, as I stated in my other thread about this, it is my new favorite thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:36 am • # 7 

Sasha:
thanks! That explains it very well.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:31 am • # 8 

Brent, I haven't tried it because after being on the water for 10-12 hrs wading, I was too darn tired to get out there after dark. But I read many stories on http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri.yuku.com/ about guys who have done it and who caught some giants.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply