It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:28 am • # 1 

Been out a few times in local estuary down here in New Zealand summertime and have achieved a goal in finally hooking a legal sized snapper (over 30cm), the most sought after species by a country mile, using a Traper Elite 3 wt glass rod teamed with an OPST Commando Smooth line with a self -tied clouser pattern. Success was short lived as you can see in the brief video I made of the momentous event:
https://youtu.be/mm7SEqgWD_c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:15 pm • # 2 

Cool vid, love the music :)

This qualifies as a long distance/intentional release. If you got it past and through all that underwater foliage, it’s a success.

Pretty fish, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:31 pm • # 3 

knotjoe wrote:
Cool vid, love the music :)

This qualifies as a long distance/intentional release. If you got it past and through all that underwater foliage, it’s a success.

Pretty fish, too.

Not sure on the intentional release as I wanted to check it out for coming home! But problem was I was standing on an underwater rocky outcrop in knee deep water without a place to beach it due to the king tide - and even turning around was tricky as one wrong step and I'd be up to my chest in the water! So lesson learned: next time take a landing net!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:06 am • # 4 

Great video! I've been hesitant to take my 3wt into the local marsh, but need to one of these days. I've landed redfish and black drum on UL spinning gear. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same on my 3wt. Thanks for the motivation and congrats on the catch.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:35 am • # 5 

Great video! That looks like fun!

Chris, there are groups of rocks off the beach I fish that hold tons of little grouper and snapper. I've kicked around the idea...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm • # 6 

strummer wrote:
Great video! That looks like fun!

Chris, there are groups of rocks off the beach I fish that hold tons of little grouper and snapper. I've kicked around the idea...

Oh man...grouper (even a small one) on a 3wt would be an experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 am • # 7 

"I've been hesitant to take my 3wt into the local marsh, but need to one of these days."

I've been using a 2 wt. in the salt for years; have caught a ton of specks, quite a few reds, and assorted other fish. In the winter when the water's cold I use my half weight for schoolie specks. And in spite of all the negative comments surrounding it, I haven't left a trail of dead fish behind me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 am • # 8 

"I've been hesitant to take my 3wt into the local marsh, but need to one of these days."

I've been using a 2 wt. in the salt for years; have caught a ton of specks, quite a few reds, and assorted other fish. In the winter when the water's cold I use my half weight for schoolie specks. And in spite of all the negative comments surrounding it, I haven't left a trail of dead fish behind me.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply