It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Trout Pics
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:32 pm • # 1 

Could not stand this subject staying empty for too long. Let see some trout pics guys.

Here are a few of mine from the past year.

Hoping to get out again soon...

HH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm • # 2 

Where did you catch that brookie? Its a hog.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:19 pm • # 3 

That brookie is a hell of a nice fish ;) Any idea on a measurement?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:20 pm • # 4 

Nice picture, thanks, guess I missed the opening of this new forum. While Im an avid fiberglass fly rodder, I find nothing available for ultra lights yet. So I have fished the Sage 00 much over rated, and am still a constant user of an Orvis 1wt 1 once, an Ovris 2wt Superlight and a Winston 3wt untra light all graphite of course. They meet my needs for winter fishing for trout with midges and nymphs. Its usually short distant casting to weary fish, cold, outside temps below freezing, water temps around 38 degrees and you really have to sight cast and wake the suckers up with your fly. Still you can fish in the middle of town undistrubed and with good wadders a couple of hours isnt bad, water flow is low and the fish are pocketted and while not eager to take a fly won't pass up a tasty well presented morsel.
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:05 am • # 5 

Haven't been trout fishing very much this year but these are a few shots of fish all caught on 3wts from over the years.

Early spring in the Smoky Mtns 16" brown.on a camping trip several years ago.

My son with his first trout on a fly by himself about 3 years ago. 9" brookie on a backcountry stream.

Typical water and size bows from a small smoky mtn stream
notice the bugs crawling out of this bows mouth! stoneflies and caddis

My last trip to a local tailwater back in Sept. for a nice birthday fishing the sulpher hatches

Finally my local waters PB and on a #20 midge with the st. croix 3wt. I joined the 20-20 club.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 am • # 6 
Administrator

Smallieman- Nice pics I especially like seeing the ones with kids, fish, and big smiles. man that takes me back to when I was kid fishing with my grandfather.

Richard,
I like the lightweights too- there is definitely a time and place when a smaller rod shines and will be the better tool. My glass 6'6" 3WT Lami has proved that time and time again- it's a glass rod I would recommend for some of the places you like to fish.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:32 am • # 7 

TNSmallieman- Great photos, that bow is a fatty man!

As for the brookie I posted, he was most likely around 15" or so. Not a wild fish, but a nicely colored up holdover stocker.

MVI_3607.AVI

Here is another brookie that was16" or so from a less popular tailwater here in the Carolinas that is known for browns. There are some holdover brookies here as well that get huge.

HH

��

Last edited by HouzeHead on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 am • # 8 

Hi Les, well Im gonna build a few rods this winter to see if I can find some lightweights. Ive a handful of McFarland blanks, however they are 4wt, 5wt and 6wts. Ive also got one of the Steffen 1-2wt blanks and one of the Steffen 2-3wt blanks, both being S glass. The McFarlands are custom taper E glass from Lamiglass. Depending on how the two Steffens come out and what line weights they favor, I will see how I like ultra light glass. No idea really, Ive been fishing the utra light Graphites in winter for a couple of decades. Here winter is about the only time we don't have alot of wind and a definate lack of turists so I can actually fish the river right through the center of town. Its often quite cold but its alot of fun sight casting close in to those pocketed trout waiting for a tasty bug to come by. Sometimes you will run into a really big trout hold up where some little warm water is trickling in from a warmwater spring. Again for me at least its the absense of wind and people that bring out the ultra lights. Most of the areas I fish in winter are close to home and during good warm weather packed with turists and rafters. The little rods are good too just at the break of spring, again before the crowds and winds, I can pickup the early crappie bit very close to home and some of the big ones are great fun on the ultra lights. We've had alot of 2# plus crappie holdovers the last couple of years and heaven forbid you get a hard take from a big bass after the fry, although to date Ive not landed any of the big bass, they snape off before I have a chance (we have quite a few 8-10 pound LMB here, the turnament guys are always comming up with some nice ones. We are on a couple of circuits for the pro's.
I tend to agree, the ultra lights definately have their place, in my case its dictated by crowds and winds mostly. Hopefully I will have some nice glass ultra lights to play with by early spring. So far Ive only a couple of 4wt glass rods, most of them feel awful noodly to me, nothing like the crisp graphites, so don't know how the new blanks will weigh in.
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 pm • # 9 

The 4wt Lami I had was VERY noodly. I feel like I can land most anything that hits on my 2wt, and Richard, I am excited to hear what you have to say about the Steffen blanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:02 pm • # 10 

WOW guys, those are some fantastic pics of some beautiful fish. Our trout fishing is just now starting to heat up and I'm looking forward to it. I'll try and post some pics if I get lucky. Thanks for sharing.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 pm • # 11 

Well from limited experence I would just guess the Steffen S glass is gonna be much faster and crisper in those small weights "IF" they turn out to be a true 1wt or 2wt, thats my goal. A light glass rod fast, not noodly and able to bring to net a big fish occasionally. Im fishing 1 & 2wt double tapers with sinking furrled leaders, sight casting from 10-20ft to lerking trout, Sort of just let the buggy bump along the bottom to end up going right past his noise, that just gets them if they are awake, its just so easy for them to dart out for a tasty snack.
The Graphite Ive been fishing just is nice, no noodly feel at all, when you get into a fish of 2 pounds or more you know you have a fun fight and the rod is flexed right into the grip in a U fun stuff for sure.
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:41 am • # 12 

Those are some fine shots of great fish. I love the small-stream experience and while I am stuck out here on the boat looking at other's pictures are a way to keep myself motivated. I also like and agree with you and your son's wardrobe choices....I am a firm beliver in either camouflage or earth-tones when afield. No sense in advertising one's presence......

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply