It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 pm • # 1 

Last week my family took a trip to Disneyworld in Florida. we stayed at the Fort Wilderness campground there and
i managed to get one morning in of fishing. i fished the canals there and caught a few bream.

i caught this guy on a black wooley bugger rigged under a popper

this was the biggest i caught. got him on a white floating spider

i used my 7' 4wt "One Ounce" Superfine. not quite ultralight, but i've got a 1wt now- maybe i'll have
some pics with that rod soon : )

all in all it was nice to wet a line. it was about 73-74 degrees that morning, nice fishing weather.
here in NC, the pond i usually fish that's behind my dad's house is still frozen over, and i haven't
had time to get into what i consider my home water: the South Fork of the Reddies River in
Wilkes County. one more pic and i'll wrap it up.

my daughter went with me to fish, but ended up making sand castle with her mom.

she used a little spinning rod and came up empty. actually, there was also another guy
fishing with his son a little ways from me. they were bait fishing, and they gave up after
half an hour of no bites.

didn't catch anything huge, but i had lots of fun.

jd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:56 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Great pics! There was a little discussion earlier about how some light 4wt's qualify as ultralight to several of us. If your 1 oz Orvis 4 wt. doesn't fall into that category then I doubt that anything else would. Image I picked up a 1 wt Orvis Superfine last last month and love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:58 pm • # 3 
Administrator

As long as it's fun and there are kids involved, it's good fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm • # 4 

She looks like she had fun regardless of if she caught anything or not. That rod looks great. Is that the old Superfine or the new Superfine TB?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:51 pm • # 5 

Jerry- it was your review that pushed me over the edge. ; )
i've been saving up for a new rod for awhile and the 1wt just fit the bill for the type of fishing i do.

Andy- my daughter had a blast. we tried to talk my 5 yr old son into going, but he was busy playing with his Poppy (my dad). and my 5 month old little boy was asleep, so it was just Mommy, Daddy, and daughter. : )

i've got the older 2pc Superfine. (manufactured in 2004) i needed the one ounce because i mangled my hand at work on a horizontal drill press. it chewed up the tendons and stuff and i was in physical therapy for almost 6 months. i actually recovered fairly well (the doc said it was at 95%) but now i have a weak grip with my ring and pinkie fingers on my right (dominant) hand. i previously fished with a South Bend (walmart) rod but i needed something lighter. i can fish much longer with the One Ounce before the aching sets in. : )

jd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:54 pm • # 6 
Administrator

jds wrote:
Happy to be of service Image

Sorry to hear about your injury--I hope it hasn't slowed you down too much. I ripped my shoulder apart mountain biking about 5 years ago, and over the past 5 years I've had 6 surgeries to try to put it back together. The doc said that fly fishing is excellent therapy--I tried to get him to write me a prescription for a new fly rod but he wouldn't do it ;-) And like you, I've found that I can fish a lighter rod more comfortably for a longer period of time. In fact, I can fish for hours without noticing the pain, but as soon as I break-down my rod and head for the car at the end of the day, the pain comes right back. I was already into light rods before this happened, but it's been a great excuse to buy more Image

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 pm • # 7 

I have had shoulder problems, but it is mostly my elbow and wrists from carpal tunnel, and with lighter gear, I can fish longer without pain!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:41 pm • # 8 

jdub wrote:
jds wrote:
Happy to be of service Image

Sorry to hear about your injury--I hope it hasn't slowed you down too much. I ripped my shoulder apart mountain biking about 5 years ago, and over the past 5 years I've had 6 surgeries to try to put it back together. The doc said that fly fishing is excellent therapy--I tried to get him to write me a prescription for a new fly rod but he wouldn't do it ;-) And like you, I've found that I can fish a lighter rod more comfortably for a longer period of time. In fact, I can fish for hours without noticing the pain, but as soon as I break-down my rod and head for the car at the end of the day, the pain comes right back. I was already into light rods before this happened, but it's been a great excuse to buy more Image

Jerry

during my therapy, my therapist kept saying that soon my hand injury would be just a nuisance.
i didn't believe him at the time, but he was right. a little numbness and stiffness, but i am thankful to have
all 5 fingers attached. and like you, i get reminded by the aching after a day fishing, but it's worth it. Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply