It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: WTB: Something!!
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:08 pm • # 1 

Not sure what exactly what I want! Sounds silly right! I have been eyeing one of the Dorber Lil' Streamer rods like the 5' 2wt but then was concerned about the short length. I am intrigued by the rods "shootability" but I am someone who likes to be able to throw out a long cast too. I was looking at the 5'8" 4wt  from Bass Pro because I still want a rod that I can keep strung up in the trunk and figuring that I would get a little more distance from the extra 8". I would like a rod with a cork reel seat but am considering the 7' 2wt TQR as well because from what I have read, you can stretch a cast out there if you want to. Anyway, as you can see I ain't got a clue about what I really want but if you have some advice for or against anything I have mentioned OR if you have a rod that you think might fit the bill of what I am looking for: something less that 7'6" for sure, preferably not more than 3 piece, not more than a 4wt, AND want to stay around $100. I know this is asking alot but I do believe it can be done!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I wouldn't bother with a Dorber unless you like sub par rods and blanks. I know your into glass, and a TQR is probably a rod you may not like as it's not even close to a glass action at all, it's pretty fast. It works with a 2wt line, but comes to life with a 3wt, but it's still fast with that line.

If your really in the market for a 5' 2wt then I'd contact Pearow about a Batson RX7 5' 2wt built to your specs. Gene knows how to keep a build affordable. Again, I'd pass on anything Dorber. 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:26 pm • # 3 

How mush would one have to pay for a clean Fenwick 535?  That might be a good rod for him.  I want one too.

If you don't mind a little longer rod, Cabelas PT+ 6'6" 2wt (really a 1 wt) is one heck of a rod and tough as nails.  I caught a 22" bow with mine on 3lb tippet.  They run around 165 bucks.  You might look into a St Croix 7 foot 3wt.  It too runs in that price range.  I don't own one but what I have felt of them in my hands in the store, I can tell they are an awesome rod.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:39 pm • # 4 

Yeah, I am a glass man but wouldn't mind something faster because that is what I used to enjoy and need to speed some things up in my life!! With the wind we have had around here lately, faster wouldn't be a bad thing I dont think! I am gonna hang onto a couple of glass rods that I really like too. There was a St. Croix on here for sale for $65 and I tried sending him a pm but never got a response as to if it was sold or not. I really cant go much more than $100 which is why I was hoping for something used maybe if someone had something.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 pm • # 5 
Administrator

The TQR will definitely handle some wind. It fires out razor sharp loops with pin point accuracy. I was rather fond of of the 702 in the 2wt shoot out.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:55 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Or you could look for someone with a TFO 6' 2wt - it can throw up up toa 4WF line and works well in tight corners new it can be had for $110.00 -used $60.

And yes I have one of the originals with the Fuji seat.

Les

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:08 am • # 7 

It's really too bad. I just sold a 6' 2 weight TFO, not more than a month ago for, as stated, $60. They come up all the time if you are willing to wait. If not, buy a new one for $109

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:37 am • # 8 

So are there any opinions on the Ultralight line from Bass Pro?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:18 am • # 9 
Administrator

CSJ wrote:
So are there any opinions on the Ultralight line from Bass Pro?
I'm writing a review on the Bass Pro 5' 3wt for Fly Fish Ohio, but you'll have to wait a couple months for that one.

J.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:43 am • # 10 
Administrator

I had the TQR at one point and it's a very light sweet little rod. It's not quite as sensitive as some of the others when you have a small fish on but it's a great deal. And yeah, it's pretty fast. I fished mine with a 2 wt line but I know some guys like it better with a 3.

I'm kind of thinking about the Elkhorn 6' 2 wt (3 pc) right now. I wish I had one to try out.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply