It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:46 pm • # 1 

I'd really like to find a used reel for use on a new Sage TXL 00wt. I don't even have the rod yet -I picked it up new on ebay for $274. I have also ordered a Danielsson Midge reel direct from the the factory for $210+shp.  They should be arriving any day.
But I really would like a reel with a good drag system.According to Sage,I wrote to them last week,the weight of the reel needs to stay close to three ounces to balance the rod properly. The ULA FORCE 2 weighs in at 3.25 oz. seems to be the lightest reel at the 3oz. mark. If anyone has another option to consider please advise me.Also any experiences with this rod and balance options would be appreciated.
I will be using this setup on small lakes where the average fish are 14-16 inches and hooking 20-24 inchers happens almost every trip. I'm hoping to land more of these larger fish than I traditionally do. Hookups don't seem to be the problem,it's break offs even on my Cabelas 4pc 3wt LSTwith an old SteamLine reel .My fishing parner of 20 years fishes two Scott 2wts almost exclusively with much better success than I have. I'm hoping this new setup will help in my success.
I also fish a Cabelas 2pc. 5wt on bigger water and the fish we find on the Trinity,Lower  Sacramento and Pit Rivers.I know ,I know- no more talk of +3wt gear again .I promise!
This is my first post here, so let me have it if I've broken any protocols.I'm so happy to have found you!

Dryfly1967...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 am • # 2 
Administrator

dryfly1967,
Welcome to UL Fly Fishers. Whe you get chance go up to the Welcome forum and tell usa bout yourself.

BTW you WILL get lots of opinions on what reel best suits your new TXL 00. Sounds to mr lie you've got a good one coming.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 am • # 3 
Administrator

Like Les said, you'll probably get a lot of opinions so it might be best to ask the question under Rods & Reels and leave this as a simple WTB post. Let us know and we can move it for you.

To answer your question it really depends on where you want your rod to balance. I have a 00 TXL sitting next to my desk here and it balances perfectly (to me) with a 2.8oz Sage 3100 & line. With about 20' of line out the end of the rod the balance point is at the tip of the cork. A Waterworks ULA Purist I weighs the same and balances at the same point. A Force 2 will weigh closer to 3.5 oz when loaded with line and backing and will cause the balance point to move back towards the reel seat. Most of the reels in the desired 3 oz or under weight class are click and pawl though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm • # 4 

Thanks for the heads -up,I guess I got carried away in my excitement for the new equipment.Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:40 am • # 5 
Administrator

Madison River has their Force reels and spools on sale right now:

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

Jerry

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply