It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:54 pm • # 1 

Topic sounds relaxing however if you have these trees in your yard you may feel different. I have two of these in my front yard. They are quite old and stand around 100 ft. tall with a large trunk.

Although they are great shade trees, they also produce a bunch of nuts that are not even edible. The average nut is 1 to 1.5 inches in size.

That fall from the tree encased in a husk that breaks open when they fall.

You don't walk barefoot in my yard. Oh yeah and so far I have raked fourteen wheel barrows of these out of my yard. Next comes the leaves, and they are close to a foot long.

I need to go fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 pm • # 2 

I used to have a chestnut tree in my front yard growing up. I used to shoot the nuts out of my wrist rocket at the stray dogs that used to fight with my Newfoundland Lab mix. I should have let Sherman have at them. He was shot by the neighbor for chasing his ducks. Hit by a Ford LTD and caused $500 of front end damage. His name was because of his size. When I was 10 he used to knock me down and mouth my head. He used to drive me nuts doing that. Full on punches, hit by the LTD, shot, hit over the head with a piece of firewood to get him to let go of one of those stray dogs. One time he was laying under my dads Ford Courier. Neighbor's dog came up and started messing with him. He was trying to stand up under the truck and was almost lifting the backend off the ground. He was a tank. Nothing seemed to phase him. Best dog I ever had, and he followed me and my brother home from the store one afternoon. Ten years later after I joined the Army my dad ended up putting him down because his hips gave out and he couldn't get up anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:45 pm • # 3 

We had a chestnut tree in the yard where I grew up.
You can put them in a fire made from your falling leaves and they explode nicely, although the outdoor fire is probably not legal now. Another rite of Fall gone.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:45 am • # 4 

Hey, what happened to "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire"??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:23 am • # 5 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Hey, what happened to "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire"??

Unfortunately these are horse chestnuts and are non edible. The good old American Chestnut trees are virtually a thing of the past as in imported blight wiped most of them out the same as happened the elm tree with the Dutch Elm blight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:32 am • # 6 

plecain wrote:
We had a chestnut tree in the yard where I grew up.
You can put them in a fire made from your falling leaves and they explode nicely, although the outdoor fire is probably not legal now. Another rite of Fall gone.

Banned but not forgotten. Kids today do not have the joy of jumping into large piles of leaves before their dad lit it up to burn. Just talking about it brings the memory of the smell of leaves burning back.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply