It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Big stripers!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm • # 1 

No, unfortunately I didn't catch them, but I watched a couple of other fly fishers catch them this morning. I was tubing below Denison Dam and watched a couple of guys from Fort Worth Fly Fishers catching a bunch of BIG stripers. I'm not sure what wt. rod they were using, probably an 8 or 9-wt, fishing with a sinktip line #4 chartruese & white clousers. The largest they caught was 14#, also at least five 10#ers, along with probably ten between 4#-7# and at least 50 smaller ones. They were using a really fast retrieve. It was thrilling just watching them!

You can bet that the next time I go there I will bring along a sinktip line!

Les, this was John and Chris.

Post subject: Re: Big stripers!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Hi Cliff
I know those two- They made facebook postings with quite a few in double digits. I haven't had a chance to get up there yet. Maybe we can try in few weeks?

Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:59 pm • # 3 

Be glad to meet you up there, Les. Except you don't want to go on a weekend unless you like combat fishing and trying to fish with 8-12 boats all grouped in one small area, with several of them being air boats. You can only wade in the morning and early afternoon before they start generating about 1:30. People do fish from the shoreline after generation starts. From what I've been told they are using full sink lines and clousers. Sometimes they catch pretty nice stripers.

There are several fly fishers in the morning who fish close to the dam and are catching plenty of stripers, some of them up to 10#. I wish I didn't have bad knees and could wade up there. But I'm stuck in my tube and I can't access the area up near the dam. But Chris and John were wading in an area away from the dam, fishing a seam. I tried in that area but didn't have a sinktip line and couldn't get down far enough. They did to me what I have done to others so many times over the years. I guess I needed a little humbling. :o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm • # 4 

I took a couple of bait fishers up there today and I fly fished. Between us we caught 22 blue cats to 3.5#, 7 nice stripers and one large 4# drum. I caught most of the catfish using a blue & white clouser and one striper. No big stripers today but plenty of fun nonetheless. Bob and Anne were using some VERY LARGE minnows ($7.29 dz) and a few live shad that Anne sweet-talked one of the guides out of.

Once they started generating at the dam the big stripers came out ( I had left by that time) and Bob and Anne said they saw some HUGE stripers caught in the fast-moving water by people using those large weighted corks and flukes or similar lures.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 pm • # 5 

This morning I watched the same two guys, John and Chris, catch one striper after another, many of them 5#+, all on sinktip lines and chartruese clousers. But this time I caught some also. I caught 7 that were 4 - 7.5# and about 12 that were a little smaller. Mine I caught on a floating line and blue and white clousers.

Image, Image, Image, Image, Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:49 am • # 6 
Administrator

Nice fish!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:21 pm • # 7 

I need to get up there one of these days. That looks like an awful lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:16 am • # 8 

It's a ball, Jim!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply