It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm • # 1 

To my United-Statesian friends: We here in Canuckistan will wrap up a 40 day election campaign season with a federal election tomorrow. We do this every four years. No such thing as mid-term elections. And even at that, its tiring for those of us who take democracy seriously. I have no idea how you lads have the stamina and the patience to keep at it for so long. But I'm glad you do!

To paraphrase W Churchill (who was, himself, paraphrasing someone else), Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms of government.

brent (ready for it to be over for a few years)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am • # 2 

It's become a joke over here, Brent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am • # 3 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
It's become a joke over here, Brent.

haha. Well, you gotta admire the buildup to the punch line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm • # 4 

wheezeburnt wrote:
I have no idea how you lads have the stamina and the patience to keep at it for so long. But I'm glad you do!

Well, part of it is the structure of our system so there's that.

Most of what you are noticing is more of the industry side of politics in America. It's everyday and folks build lifelong careers on it be it writing, commentary, you name it. Does get a bit over-the-top and ridiculous after while, no question about it there.

If we did politics your way and not all the time, the unemployment rate in America would shoot up to about 35% almost overnight. Colleges would close, folks would get along better, it'd be an absolute living hell. :lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:39 pm • # 5 

knotjoe wrote:
If we did politics your way and not all the time, the unemployment rate in America would shoot up to about 35% almost overnight. Colleges would close, folks would get along better, it'd be an absolute living hell. :lol

:lol :lol Well, we wouldn't want THAT, now would we? I think you're right, though. The 'pundit' industry along with the 24 hour news cycle are no doubt to blame. the way I look at it, you united statesians generally have a more accommodating climate, allowing for a MUCH longer fishing season, so it all kind of balances out.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:11 pm • # 6 

The best thing for our country would be term limits but thats never going to happen . Too many puffed up thieves and criminals in congress and the senate to vote for it . They're all crooked .

Your fishing may be short but it's better I'm thinking .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:36 am • # 7 

jangles wrote:
The best thing for our country would be term limits but thats never going to happen . Too many puffed up thieves and criminals in congress and the senate to vote for it . They're all crooked .

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am • # 8 

jangles wrote:

Maybe. I've done a bit of fishing in the USA (SC, VA, MA, ME, NH) and I do enjoy your higher species diversity. And I would be remiss if I didn't also mention all the fine people I've met down there while fishing. I guess we do have some niche fishing, like brookies over 10 lbs and atlantic salmon fisheries, but I love the fact that, in the Northeast, there are places where trout fishing is available year round. I guess what I like most about fishing here at home is the solitude/elbow room, but I know that is available in places south of the border, too. And I would say that the conversation about what firearm to carry for personal protection while fishing is only relevant in brown bear country. Otherwise, the discussion focuses on bug spray, sun screen, and for the perennially optimistic, condoms. ;)

Anyway, election's over, we all woke up to a sunny day on Tuesday, and everyone is still talking to each other. Time to move on with the business of living.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:22 pm • # 9 

wheezeburnt wrote:
To paraphrase W Churchill (who was, himself, paraphrasing someone else), Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms of government.

And if we had a Democracy, that'd be great. What we have is a combination of a oligarchy and kleptocracy. Anybody who thinks his or her vote matters in the long run is delusional.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 am • # 10 

The United States is a republic, not a democracy. There is a difference.

Republic - a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Democracy - a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:03 pm • # 11 

I have never gone fishing in Canada, but have always enjoyed the people I have met in Ontario and Quebec while vacationing. I wanted to use the word "whilst" in the previous sentence, but alas I'm not sure how to properly use that word. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:35 pm • # 12 

Cliff: Not sure its that simple. I believe what I should have said is that you United Statesians live in a true democratic republic. Not all 'democratic' republics are democratic (eg. North Korea, and several African countries). I'm curious as to what part of your 'democracy' definition you feel does not apply to the US?

taconic ff: Man, you gotta make your way to the Maritimes. Those fine, friendly folk you met in "Upper Canada" are considered stand-offish by our standards! :lol :lol (actually, I lived in Ontario (hamilton) til I was 18 - nice enough people. I'm related to a bunch of them) :lol
brent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 pm • # 13 

https://www.thoughtco.com/republic-vs-democracy-4169936

In a democracy the majority rules, in a republic the laws cannot be overruled by the majority they have to be changed by the elected representatives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:48 pm • # 14 

Cliff: Ah. I see your point. thanks! You old guys really know a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:59 pm • # 15 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
https://www.thoughtco.com/republic-vs-democracy-4169936

In a democracy the majority rules, in a republic the laws cannot be overruled by the majority they have to be changed by the elected representatives.

In which I am not sure which is best . Once these so called reps get in office 9 out of 10 do whatever they want or is good for their wallet .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:58 am • # 16 

Yep, Brent, when you get to be my age you'll know a lot also. But you'll forget it pretty quickly just like I do. :lol :lol

Ummmm, what were we talking about??

Ron, you are 100% correct, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 pm • # 17 

:lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 am • # 18 

It may be that the grass is always greener, but my experience has been that Canada has more concentrated quality fishing than we do down here in the US. I've wandered around the maritimes and Quebec when I lived in Maine and spent parts of many summers in Ontario cottage country, and was pretty impressed. And that is only a narrow sample of what is available, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply