It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 am • # 1 

Our provincial neighbour to the East (Nova Scotia) has postponed the opening of their sport fishing season to help with social distancing, and we've been waiting to see what happens here in New Brunswick. Our Minister of Natural Resources, an avid angler himself, announce that the season would open as usual on April 15, with the following guidelines, including the caveat that if anglers can't follow the guidelines, the season may be closed:

Current COVID-19 Guidelines for Fishing in New Brunswick

Anglers must continue to maintain recommended social distancing protocol of six and a half feet between each “family” (in this case, “family” refers to those who share your civic address).
When boating, only members of your “family” are permitted to share your watercraft.
When accessing boat ramps, anglers must stay inside of their vehicle until previous parties have launched their watercraft(s).
In regard to Crown Reserve anglers, there will likely be complications surrounding shared accommodations, but a more structured plan will be released in coming weeks.
Anglers must respect the boundaries of any closed park, campground, access point, etc.

*Refunds will be given for canceled fishing and crown reserve licenses

(Crown Reserve Angling involves an annual draw whereby a party of 4 anglers gets exclusive access to about 2 to 3 km of atlantic salmon water for a three day period, and usually includes use of a camp)

So, all tournaments are off, and a lot of boat angling is also compromised. We old guys who like the shouting distance company of another old guy when we fish in remote, back country for safety reasons, will have to each travel in our own truck. No real issue - minimizes the complaints about my 'road singing'.

So, any restrictions being applied in your jurisdictions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:55 am • # 2 

I don't have any friends so I don't have to worry about anyone being close. :'(

When I saw Crown Reserve I thought you were talking about a special type of Crown Royal Whiskey.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:31 pm • # 3 

Cliff, perhaps you could find a good psychiatrist, whom you can then convince to give you a diagnosis of schizophrenia so that you can go fishing with your selves. That way you won’t have to feel alone while killing all those innocent bream.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:55 am • # 4 

PampasPete wrote:
Cliff, perhaps you could find a good psychiatrist, whom you can then convince to give you a diagnosis of schizophrenia so that you can go fishing with your selves. That way you won’t have to feel alone while killing all those innocent bream.

:lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:13 am • # 5 

Update:
Well, our Provincial fishing season didn’t happen as planned. Health officials overrode our Minister of Natural Resources, and postponed til May 1, and that date is pending re-evaluation closer to that date. No final word yet, but our Province instituted strong isolation and social distancing guidelines early, and to their credit, the population has followed them. We have a population similar to North Dakota, but an area similar to Maine. We have had 118 cases in total; 98 are recovered, 5 in hospital, 3 in ICU, no deaths. Without a doubt, we have been soooo lucky. No one thinks we’re in the clear, but it looks very good for a May 1 start to the season, given social distancing restrictions. Admittedly, compliance has been made easier by a widely available employment insurance program, a federal Covid financial program that pays up to 75% of salaries for those affected but not covered by EI, and our dreaded universal socialized medicine. But even so, I am very pleased with how my friends and neighbours have taken this thing seriously, and helped suppress the spread. I am so ready to abandon yard work and lawn casting.
Please stay safe out there, and if you happen to be in one of those jurisdictions that has allowed angling, well, I am very envious.
One impatient Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:59 am • # 6 

Brent, down here in Texas ALL THE LAKES are open for fishing, we have a brilliant Governor. He knows that if he closed the lakes he would suddenly disappear into one of them (with concrete shoes).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 am • # 7 

Cliff: Looks like you lads in Texas are suffering a 2.5% mortality rate on 20,000 confirmed cases. Even a young man such as yourself is at risk, so please be careful out there. Don't just rely on your personality for social distancing. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 am • # 8 
Administrator

LOL- Brent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:04 pm • # 9 

Sorry to hear your season is delayed.
I fish in my home town and so far no restrictions.
People are using the parks freely but seem to be pretty compliant with the social distancing within the park.
Our county requires that everyone going into a store wear a mask or scarf, just started that yesterday. The stores have all implemented social distancing techniques by limiting their number of customers and not allowing the customers to crowd up in line or at the register.
A few miles down the road I have a Bass Pro Ship (lucky me huh) and they have remained open and follow the social distancing concept very well (I make frequent trips there to make sure of this, that's my story to the wife).

I

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:57 am • # 10 

JimRed: HAha! I'm sure your entire community sleeps better at night, knowing you are on the job, monitoring health and safety at the Bass Pro shop! You're a local hero!! (Our local Bass Pro has curbside service only; phone ahead, pay for it by card, they bring it out to you). It snowed here again last night, so waiting til May 1 has been relatively painless, although water levels on my local trout stream are currently ideal. Here's hoping you all escape this disease, and life can assume some semblance of an improved normal soon. We just had our 4th day of no new cases in the Province, so there's an air of guarded optimism out there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:03 am • # 11 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff: Looks like you lads in Texas are suffering a 2.5% mortality rate on 20,000 confirmed cases. Even a young man such as yourself is at risk, so please be careful out there. Don't just rely on your personality for social distancing. :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:01 am • # 12 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

(oh, good, he's laughing. We're probably safe til he runs out of meds)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:33 am • # 13 

The doc gave me some really pretty purple pills last week and he said to take one a day. I've been taking seven in the morning and seven at night, and WOW!! do I feel good!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 am • # 14 

Cliff: if they're pyramid shaped, they're probably LSD 25, and even for a high ranking space cadet such as yourself, that might be excessive. Who's your doctor? Timothy Leary? He's allegedly dead, but I can see how you might be experiencing 'house calls'. :eek
brent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:23 pm • # 15 

Washington State closed all recreational fishing and hunting back in March and it has not yet re-opened. The state has their reasons and I respect those, but it made a lot of people pretty cranky. Meanwhile over here in Idaho the water is as busy as I've ever seen it. Lots of family groups, with folks out of work and kids out of school.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:45 am • # 16 

Brent, how did you guess my doc is my old pal, Timothy?? He visits me regularly, especially when I'm using those pyramid shaped pills.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 pm • # 17 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Brent, how did you guess my doc is my old pal, Timothy?? He visits me regularly, especially when I'm using those pyramid shaped pills.

Haha. Used to be a disciple.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:06 am • # 18 

lka wrote:
Washington State closed all recreational fishing and hunting back in March and it has not yet re-opened. The state has their reasons and I respect those, but it made a lot of people pretty cranky. Meanwhile over here in Idaho the water is as busy as I've ever seen it. Lots of family groups, with folks out of work and kids out of school.

What part of Idaho are you ? I love that state and have fished there every year for a while . I even got my Lab Twin Falls ! I hope to fish again this year but who knows …...

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply