It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:27 pm • # 1 

Just yesterday I returned from a 3 week hospital stay. When I went to the ER on April 21 I thought I might have the coronavirus. I was having fever, chills, aching, and shortness of breath. Sounds familiar huh? But I also had some swelling and tenderness in the left foot and lower leg. After initial blood test in the ER, I was told that I was one sick puppy who was headed straight to intensive care where I spent six days. My Co-vid 19 test was negative, but I had cellulitis in the left leg that had caused systemic sepsis. My leg swelled alarmingly and was more painful than I ever want to experience again. Overall I spent two weeks in our local hospital and another week in a second hospital where they concentrated on wound care and physical therapy to regain my mobility.

How did all this occur? About 5-6 weeks ago I noticed a small scrape on my left shin about 5-6 inches above the ankle. It was slightly raw, so showing exceptionally good sense I went wet wading a couple of weekends in a row. Of course my Simms wading socks hadn't been washed since last summer. Normally I would have sought medical attention at the first notice of redness and swelling, but I guess I was so focused on coronavirus prevention as I am 72 years old, overweight, and hypertensive that I wasn't really paying any attention to anything else at the time. So I hope you learn from my mistake. If you must go wet wading with a scratch on your leg, at least cover it with a waterproof dressing. My 3 weeks in the hospital were probably the most miserable three weeks I have ever spent.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 pm • # 2 

Was thinking about you today and almost called . I'm glad you are better and are now home . It was good talking to you last week so stay well and we'll do it again ! Good luck and God bless .

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 am • # 3 

I'm so glad to hear that ended well (enough) for you. Good advice, especially if the waters you wade are less than pristine. I was just recently reading an article that explained that many deaths and illnesses are due to the current pandemic, but do not directly involve infection by Covid-19. People with pre-stroke or heart symptoms who avoid the emergency room; people who can no longer get their chronic care treatments, dialysis, chemo, etc.
Please know that your cautionary tale may save a life!
brent

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 am • # 4 

Getting old sucks, doesn't it.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:09 pm • # 5 

Larry, it’s good to know that you got through your ordeal and made it back home. What we can all take away from your experience is that especially for us more experienced fly-fishers (translation: older guys) it’s important to take care as much as possible during these weird times.

Personally, I’m pretty much laying low and keeping my head down until this storm blows over.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 am • # 6 
Administrator

Always best when we return home. Family reunions can be like that ;)

Glad to see you back in saddle and feeling better Larry

Les

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply