It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cataract surgery
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:35 am • # 1 

Okay, since we have so many old farts on this site (not me because I'm 74 years YOUNG), I'm having cataract surgery on both eyes later this month - actually one eye on the 27th and the other one next month - and want to know what kind of experiences some of you have had with this. I'm having the Distance Correction w/hydros type ?? using a a Femtodsecomd laser to try and correct the astigmatisms along with a stent for glaucoma.

Post subject: Re: Cataract surgery
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:12 pm • # 2 

I had cataract surgery and distance correction on the right eye two years ago. I didn't expect much improvement and didn't really get any because I have a retinopathy of the right eye that has pretty much eliminated my central vision. The peripheral vision, however, was improved. I had the left eye done about three weeks ago and am now able to read the bottom line on the eye chart without glasses for the first time in years. Of course I still need reading glasses. I had been wearing fitover sunglasses with my prescription glasses, but now wear sunglasses with reading bifocals when driving or fishing. No complications and doing well. I will admit I was rather nervous about having eye surgery but it was no big deal.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:23 am • # 3 

Cliff: Had one eye done over a decade ago (other eye showed no need at the time). Got the other one done a year ago. No complications. Had some aching in the first eye for a couple of days - like getting punched in the eye - but nothing with the other one. I still wear corrective glasses , but it is a VAST improvement. I expect you're gonna love it. The techniques and technology are really advanced now. Friend had a glaucoma stent installed a while back. Apparently, no biggie. I'll be rooting for you, bud.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm • # 4 

Cliff, about the only drawback to the surgery I can think of is that in Texas they don't use any numbing drops in the eye or injections of local anesthetic. They just give you a can of Keystone Light beer (if that can really be called beer). :eek

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm • # 5 

Have them but not bad enough to fix . I only drive at night when I'm on a fishing expo but since I've sworn off fly fishing I wont be driving at all . I wear clear bifocals with polarized clip ons like Larry does ( I think ) ! lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 am • # 6 

Larry, I insist that they give me several Abita Turbo Dogs before surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm • # 7 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Abita Turbo Dogs

Dang, Cliff. Every time I read your posts, I end up googling something. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:20 pm • # 8 

It’s been about 3-4 years for me, both eyes a month apart, went for distance and now wear 2.5 mag “readers” for the small stuff. I had the surgery in the morning, went home with a plastic patch, returned for follow up the next day and was good to go. Only constraint was not to go swimming in a lake for about a week.

You don’t realize how much detail you are losing to the “fog” of the cataracts until you have it done. Using readers isn’t great but it is better than glasses all the time and I’ve found easy work arounds for fishing, etc.

Really recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 am • # 9 

I'll have surgery on one eye on 10/27 and the other eye on 11/3. Wear a patch until I see the doc the next day, then off to the races. I'm terribly nearsighted with severe astigmatisms in both eyes and the doc said that I probably won't need glasses for distance in the future, but will need readers, Heck, I've been using readers for 20 years now when wearing my contacts, which I do 95% of the time, so that won't bother me. Being able to see in the ance without glasses or contacts will be strange because I've been wearing glasses since I was 11 or 12 years old. Thanks for all the info guys.

Brent, I first tasted Abita Turbo Dog about 20 years ago when I went to visit my brother in New Orleans. It was the first dark beer I had ever tasted and I have never gone back to the other beers since. I especially love the dark German beers as well as Guinness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm • # 10 

Cliff: I shall keep my eye open for that beer, should we ever get to travel again. You've never steered me wrong yet, as far as I can tell, so far, under the circumstances, all other things being equal. ;) I'll be thinking of you on the 27th, bud.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 am • # 11 

Well, I had my right eye done yesterday and I can see pretty well out of that eye this morning with just a little blurriness. It looks like I'll be able to see at a distance again without glasses or contacts for the first time since I was 10 or 11 years old. I'll need readers for close up but I used those for the past few years when I wore my contacts, so no big thing. I'm getting the other eye done next Monday.

They brought me into a room and put drops in my eye for about 30 minutes. Then they moved me to the pre-op surgery room and put some more drops in my eye and hooked me up to an IV. Then they put me on a gurney and put me under the laser for the cut. They must have then put some anesthetic in the IV after that because I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in the recovery room. But they told me the actual surgery of taking out the old lens in my eye and putting the new one in only took about 3 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:27 am • # 12 

Great to hear that it went well, pal.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:23 pm • # 13 

Had the left eye done on Tuesday but the doc said that after he put in the premium lens that he didn't think it was going to work correctly, so he put in the regular lens. That means that I saved $2200 but I won't be able to see as well out of that eye as I could have if the expensive lens would have worked liked he wanted it too. I may end up having to wear a contact lens in that eye, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:21 pm • # 14 

Glad to hear you're alive Cliff, I too had both my eyes done in Dec 2017. Because I am on Medicare they also used cheaper lenses. Told me I would not need glasses , hog wash, my glasses are stronger now than they ever were.
Cliff you get some real pretty contact lenses, either wild or scary.
Wishing you all the best my fishing brother.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 am • # 15 

Okay, so now it’s my turn again, after having undergone cataract removal and implantation of an intra-ocular lens in May, 2019. Surgery on the left eye was supposed to happen early in 2020, then the Covid-19 thing came around. Funding for the public health system went in all different directions.

Last Tuesday I had an appointment with the opthalmologist and he offered me an opening for surgery on January 24, which was immediately accepted. Expectations are that I will need 2X glasses for driving, but be good for close work like reading and fly tying with no glasses. Ten days from now we will know how it works in practice rather than theory.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:06 pm • # 16 

Wishing you good luck Pete. I noticed after my last surgery that although I no longer needed glasses for distance, I was still having to put them back on all the time for reading or to read text messages. Also I use my computer a lot, and needed some mild magnification for that purpose. I finally went back to my optometrist and had my eyes checked again. I had new glasses made with progressive lenses, with clear glass at the top, mild magnification in the center (+1.50) for computer use, and reading magnification (+2.75) at the bottom for reading and flytying . This has been quite satisfactory so far.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 am • # 17 

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:24 am • # 18 

Well, looks like it's my turn now. Was told I need it ASAP. The timing is very inconvenient, but it is what it is..........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:42 am • # 19 

hipshot wrote:
Well, looks like it's my turn now. Was told I need it ASAP. The timing is very inconvenient, but it is what it is..........

Jim, don't worry, you won't cry from any pain except from when they place the IV in your arm. :lol They put me under so I don't have any recollection of going through surgery either time. I woke up with a patch on my eye and was a little fuzzy-headed (normal for me), but that was all. I kept the patch on until the next morning then started on the routine of putting drops in my eye several times a day. Once that was over I had no problems. I now see better through both eyes and no longer need contact lenses or glasses, except for reading.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:19 am • # 20 

Cliff: mine were done under a local anesthetic, and even that wasn't too bad. In my case, they severed the nerve between my anus and my retina, and I no longer have a crappy outlook.
brent

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply