It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:14 pm • # 1 

Not sure about casting a line in Alaska while we are visiting my son who is stationed at Fort Wainwright. We are going in June/July! Not sure how big a deal of landing a Arctic Grayling is for me, suppose for some it’s a big deal ! What are your thoughts, planning what to do for the two week we are there!

Thanks and Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:51 am • # 2 

For me, I think the coolest part about it was landing a large-ish grayling in full light at 1 in the morning! Don't bother keeping it - they taste like whatever you cook them in. (my experience was in Yukon, west of AK, near Kluane.) Gorgeous fish in their own right, though.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:15 pm • # 3 

The Gill Guy wrote:
Not sure about casting a line in Alaska while we are visiting my son who is stationed at Fort Wainwright. We are going in June/July! Not sure how big a deal of landing a Arctic Grayling is for me, suppose for some it’s a big deal ! What are your thoughts, planning what to do for the two week we are there!

Thanks and Enjoy!

I don't have much advise to offer, but I'll curious in hearing how your trip went. My sister and brother-in-law just moved up in Fairbanks in early January. I'm hoping to make a trip in early September.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:18 am • # 4 

If you DO decide to wet a line for grayling while up there, I found #14/#16 adams were very effective in moving water, but that a #8 light spruce fly streamer worked in the lake.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:53 am • # 5 

Brent, what did you catch that 123# brookie on when you were there?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 am • # 6 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:

A fly of my own design: #8 6x streamer hook, tail of white chupacabra armpit hair, stacked even; body is sasquatch pubic dubbing, died emerald green; wing of auburn unicorn mane; and a collar hackle from a dodo cape I've been hoarding for decades. I call it the psilicybinizer. Works best with a nightcrawler hanging off the end.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:42 am • # 7 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

A fly of my own design: #8 6x streamer hook, tail of white chupacabra armpit hair, stacked even; body is sasquatch pubic dubbing, died emerald green; wing of auburn unicorn mane; and a collar hackle from a dodo cape I've been hoarding for decades. I call it the psilicybinizer. Works best with a nightcrawler hanging off the end.
brent

:lol :lol :lol

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply