It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Gun Talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am • # 1 

Well I know there are a few of us that are into guns, so I thought I would start a thread about it. Feel free to discuss, post pics, etc. About gun related subjects.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 am • # 2 
Administrator

I haven't shot any of my powder burners in almost a year. One of the reasons is that ammo prices are so ridiculous that I'm not gonna buy even when I can find ammo on the shelves.

My solution to the shooting problem was to haul out the airguns. I've got a Gamo 220 rifle in .177, a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, and a few different air pistols that are basically junk. I bought a Crosman 1377 pistol this spring to remedy the lack of a decent air pistol. BB's and pellets are both cheap and plentiful so I've been shooting a lot with these guns this year. It helps me to keep up with my shooting fundamentals, plus they are fun to shoot, and very accurate too.

One good thing about the Gamo rifle is that I can hunt squirrels with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm • # 3 

Man it isn't even the price of ammo it's also the availability. I went into wally world to pick up some ammo (.45, 5.56, 9mm, and .38 +P) and they had NONE Image I wish that I still had my bb guns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Sasha, I ran into the same thing when I went in to a local sporting goods chain to buy ammo for my .45. My son and I had shot all mine up a few months before and I hate not having any in the house so I ran down to stock up and all they had was the high-dollar stuff--around $35 a box. The 3 or 4 cheaper brands were cleaned out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 pm • # 5 

Nice........Yea this shortage of plinking ammo is starting to piss me off. I am not going to go to the range with HD rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 pm • # 6 
I just had a thought, (over time you all will come to find out, here is where you applaud) has anyone checked on reload supplies? I too have been deeply disturbed at the rising cost of ammunition. Think I shall research and let you know what I find. Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:19 pm • # 7 

I need to just pull the trigger so to speak and start re-loading. I never bothered before because there was no shortage in cheap plinking ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:33 pm • # 8 
Lee Precision has a very nice site and looks as though pricing for their kits are affordable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm • # 9 

Wow no one reloads? If I may, I like single stage. It's more time but more precise. If you have to go progressive (or single stage) look at RCBS the rock chucker is a nice one. (Lee sucks! waste of time and money) Reloading is a hassle but pays off when you watch your grouping at 200yds. go from 8-MOA (factory ammo) to 2 to 3-MOA (your dialed in ammo).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:30 pm • # 10 

Save your brass boys!! This new administration is going to change our shooting lives for sure...There have already been mass runs for guns, ammo, and powder....Powder is becoming hard to get...so get it while you can..This info came from a friend of mine who owns a gun shop...not just rumor....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:44 pm • # 11 
Administrator

I save all my brass, but looking over components, or shall I say the lack thereof, it's still depressing. Not many places have bullets or primers. I don't a have a press and dies anyway for pistol or rifle, just shotgun.

Walmart never has ammo. I did find 9mm at a local shop, but at 13 bucks a box they can keep it. I don't have a 1911 anymore so I don't have to worry at all about 45acp.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm • # 12 

I was in WalMart just the other day and walked by the ammo display. They were out of almost everything except a couple of boxes of #8 dove loads and some .17 HMR--I knew there had to be a good reason why I really need one of those (plus, it would go perfectly with my UL tackle and my pen knife collection)! I used to shoot pistol competition, but kind of lost interest (and time) after I went in the Navy. At least they gave me some cool replacements for my old Feinwerkbau and model 41 (don't I wish I still had those pricey little tack-drivers!)--first there were 5"/54, 5"/38, 16"/50, 20mm Vulcan, Harpoon, and Tomahawk, then some really nasty assault and sniper gear.

Nowadays, my tastes have returned to smaller, more peaceful fare. Currently I've only got a sweet little model 63, but I'd love to have a really nice bespoke 28 gauge double (like I'm ever going to afford one) and either a .17 or .22 rimfire auto, tricked out for hair-splitting accuracy (for popping aspirin tablets and such, you understand).
-CC
PS, thinking about the grand old 1911, I once fired over 2000 rounds of .45 ACP in one day--don't even ask why. The next day, no amount of Ibuprofen would touch what my right arm and shoulder were feeling! Luckily, I wasn't the poor sailor who had to load all those magazines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:05 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Art, same at our walmart. Lots of small bird shot, slugs, and some .17, and maybe a bit of .22LR.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:09 pm • # 14 

Jeez, Jeremy. If they've got .22's, you better snap it up. I'm keeping mine hidden away until all this madness passes.
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:26 pm • # 15 
Administrator

What .22 they do have isn't anything I would actually buy (unless it's CCI Mini Mag for my little Beretta 21a). I'm a Match grade kind of guy when it comes to .22LR for rifles.
They don't have the Mini Mags though.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:27 pm • # 16 

Thats what I did...when my friend told me about the rush....I packed away 3000 rds of .22lr for my rifle and pistol...just in case, for what I do not know, but, one never knows till it is too late...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:59 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Chewie wrote:
I just had a thought, (over time you all will come to find out, here is where you applaud) has anyone checked on reload supplies? I too have been deeply disturbed at the rising cost of ammunition. Think I shall research and let you know what I find. Image
It's about time you joined this site...HA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 pm • # 18 
You should know by now that I am always fashionably late.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm • # 19 
Administrator

Chewie wrote:
You should know by now that I am always fashionably late.

True...True.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:24 pm • # 20 

I think the idea of a quality air rifle make sense. Cheap to shoot and good practice.

When I bought the house I live in now, here a few years ago, I knew I would not have a place to reload and I would have to put my stuff in storage, I loaded every bit of brass I had for every gun...and I sure am glad. Still, I don't shoot much other than .22's and my 17 Mach II, which I have around 10,000 rounds for each. I sold the 17 HMR because of the price of the ammo. My Dad gave me a Limited Edition Remington Classic 300 H&H a few months ago (I tried to pay him for it but he would have none of it.) and he had bought and saved ammo for years (When it came out in 1983) so there was around 20 boxes of ammo for it. I bought a Leupold scope for it w/ new bases/rings. I need to go sight it in.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply