It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:37 am • # 1 

Wed., I was informed at work that I will be retuning to an old position I had at that job two years ago. To put it in a nut shell, I used to do all the fuel deliveries supporting all construction, D&D and other support activities on a Gov facility here in Idaho. Two years ago, I was transferred to another part and taken off the Fuel Truck. Not to boast but I guess I did the job well and the couple of men they replaced me with have made some mistakes..many mistakes and given this is a Gov. facility doing Nuclear Clean up, my old Supervisor did enough string pulling to have me transferred back, effective Monday Morning.

I'm going to try to get out and do some fishing this weekend because I am pretty well stressed out. You see, there is lots of things going through my mind:

#1 and it's stupid, I'm not expecting any kind of 'warm' welcome from old co workers that I worked with when I was the 'fuel man' I hate to say but it reminds me at times of high school out there.

#2, I know it's not going to be the same as when I was transferred away the first time.

#3, The job is Temp. as I have been told...8 mos to a year, then it's back to repirator work for me. I would prefer if I never saw a respirator ever again so I am wanting to focus and do a job where I would be back to fueling for a long time.

The big one on my mind, is I am going to be hated by my old co workers. It is stupid, but trust me, unless you've ever had a Union Job, you can't understand how co workers can really make life miserable. I guess, to make you understand more, my old foreman and I are friends, not best friends, but friends. We have hunted and fished together and you know what this kind of thing can lead to in the work place, especially when I'm not going to be liked anyway.

I really don't care what others think but it can get on my nerves. I was told yesterday, that 'By God, your not getting that fuel truck back, even if it takes dragging the Union into it.' Like I said, I not expecting a 'warm' welcome. But, outside of that group of people that I'm going to be working with, the rest of this site has been requesting me return to the fuel truck for some time.

I guess, with all the eye balls that are going to be on me for a while, I am wanting to try my best to start out right.

Thx for your ears this morning. I'm going to grab the Spey Rod later today and go chase some Browns around with 'Clouser' Minnows.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 am • # 2 
Administrator

David, I been in situations in a past job where I was transferred and wasn't liked, or I didn't like the staff. Yes it's tense and the brings on unwanted stress. I eventually left that job because the stress was affecting my mental as well as my physical health.

Try your best to ignore the folks that don't like you. Think of other things when the stress gets out of control, thoughts of fishing always help. Just do the best you can.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:09 am • # 3 

David, this sounds like a safety issue to me. There's no room for mistakes on a fuel truck. Those union guys would be singing a different tune if the guys you replaced got somebody hurt. Your bosses are right to be proactive here, hopefully they will step up and make it clear to everyone that safety comes first and that's why you're back on the truck. I don't see how the union could be against it, if management makes it strictly a safety issue. As for dealing with that high school mentality, just keep you're eyes open, be nice ,but don't take any crap.
Just what is respirator work? Good luck, wish I was there throwin' some clousers with ya.

Roy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:10 am • # 4 

David, I was a union member for 23 years...I have been where you are now, different work of course, but the same situation...If you like the job that is all that matters...If your co-workers do not warm up to you in a month or so...why bother...they do not eat at your table...come to your aid when you are troubled...and feel concern for your family...Do your job, enjoy it, come home to that wonderful family that you have...pick up your rod and enjoy life...It is too short to be concerned about petty jealously of co-workers...and, you do have friends here, distant, but friends...Life is good!! I had to edit this...remember you are there to support your family, not make friends, friends are a by product, and are fleeting at times...I am happy for you that you are returning to a job you like...enjoy it.......

Last edited by robgcp on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:37 am • # 5 

Somebody had a quote from Marcus Aurelius on the cane board. I will try to find it. Basically, expect everyone around you to act the fool, but that does not define you and you will behave properly despite them. Don

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:38 pm • # 6 

Having worked in government and especially union applications as both a union worker and a none union supervisor I would say your work is cut out for you. I will say this I learned early one to not get involved in others Personal issues and if asked an opinion, I would always say "mighty fine" didnt matter if I agreed or not, just put them off without a negative or postive direction to disagree. **** happens, you have a family to support and times are hard right now try to ride it out and keep your job, otherwise its lean pickings right now.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:37 pm • # 7 

Thx to all. I feel better. I hooked a huge Brown yesterday on my 11'3" Switch 6wt and a lime/white clouser. I lost him but it was a fun battle. I did land one brown around 20 inches.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply