Post subject: What do you do?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:56 pm • # 43 

I work with juvenile sexual offenders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:11 am • # 44 

do you know Johnboy?(HA!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 pm • # 45 

done a lot of things: sex offender therapist, therapist in private practice, workshop and seminar designer and presenter,
twelve years in hospital management, and my last employment was nine years a librarian in our small town. I was forced to retire for medical reasons and that sux. Now I am a house husband doing all the projects that never got done when I worked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:41 pm • # 46 

I have been in Information Technology for going on 11 years now.  Wasn't the easiest field to break into for a while but things have been good the last few years.  Hopefully that will continue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 pm • # 47 

Human health risk assessment for remediation of toxic contaminated industrial sites. Help to determine health protective clean up goals for contaminated soil and groundwater.

A lot of our country is badly contaminated, good news is you can clean it up and the land is worth a lot of money after remediation. Not that much virgin land in most states, schools must be built on former agricultural land and industrial land must be recycled to other industrial/commercial or residential uses. My education was in biochemistry and toxicology.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am • # 48 

Instructor of Environmental Science, SUNY at Buffalo, a few years away from retirement.  Academic concentration on wilderness, land use (abuse) and apex predators (other than humans).  Went to school at NC State, University of Wyoming.  Looking to retirement with the "silver bullet" in tow, loaded with fishing gear and guitars.  Family lives all over the country from Portland to West Palm, Charlotte to Buffalo.  Fished all over: Alaska, northern Ontario, Florida Everglades & Keys, NC coast, Great Lakes tributaries, wilderness alpine country in Wyoming.  Since I still teach, I am looking forward to my first September vacation.

Last edited by bluegrassguitar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 pm • # 49 

Machinist, make parts for Honda.

Currently still taking college classes for criminal justice. 1 more class and need to wait  to get accepted into the Police Academy.

Post subject: Re: What do you do?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 am • # 50 

Did 25 years as a multi-craft facilities tech specializing in hvac/ refrigeration, 7 years as a Pipe Organ builder, 7 years as a hvac estimator, 1 year building subwoofers. Became disabled 4 years ago, so I put in my 40 years worth of labor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 am • # 51 

20 yrs Marine Corps; then 3 years to finish BSEE and currently 32 years Electrical work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:35 am • # 52 

Degree in mechanical engineering and then spent 30 years in technical sales to the cellular industry. Now I’m a consultant to a Major League Baseball team, despite knowing almost nothing about team sports. I handle all aspects of the cellular signal enhancement system at the stadium so fans can post selfies and share the game experience with the world. The job can be stressful at times but it’s a dream job and I’m blessed to have it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:50 pm • # 53 

43 years as a physical therapist. Retired in August of last year. Thought I would be fishing all the time, but somehow life still gets in the way.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:01 pm • # 54 

Larry: As with most of us retired guys, I'm sure you wonder how you had time to go to work.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:08 pm • # 55 

I was a ship-handler for 33 years and spent the last few driving Ice Breakers on the Great Lakes. Some of that time was spent in the commercial tug business driving for the likes of Foss Maritime out of Seattle. I retired after 22 years with the military, the last 13 with the Coast Guard. Most of my commercial work landed me in the greater Southeast Alaska fuel oil delivery business to all manner of TINY logging camps all over southeast. If one ever gets the opportunity to go to Pelican or Elfin Cove.........do not, I repeat, do NOT pass it up. I have had the very good fortune of spending my entire working life at sea having the company pay the way for my travels to every corner of the globe and VERY MUCH ENJOYED almost every minute of it.

Cheers,

David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:39 pm • # 56 

I love the diversity of backgrounds here, and the unpredictable trajectory of some peoples' careers! (not to mention the travel it has involved.)
Mine's been a bit more pedestrian. Studied to be a forester in New Brunswick, did that for a while, did postgrad work in Waterloo, ON, in environmental planning. Lectured at UW, worked as environmental consultant, then moved back to NB (didn't care for the urban southern Ontario experience) to work for the dept of Natural Resources. Worked there for about 30 years; crown land management, forest recreation management, environmental impact assessment, protected natural areas management, and finally, policy and planning (cloud shovelling). Retired 8.5 years ago. Haven't been bored yet.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 pm • # 57 

Born in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) at 18 years old moved to Southern Rhodesia joined the military and became a boot camp instructor. Left the Military after ten years six months and learnt how to roll steel in a steel works. Used that knowledge to move from what became Rhodesia after Ian Smith declared independence from Great Briton and Robert Mugabe was going to take power to South Africa. Became a realtor, had my own brokerage then moved over to Texas, have not retired and work for Lexus in Plano.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm • # 58 

Worked in retail loss prevention 4 yrs., aluminum extrusion & steel roll forming 4 yrs., contact security 3 yrs., Police Officer FT+ 28 yrs.,
past 8yrs.(very part-time to present) public safety and supervision in private security.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:23 pm • # 59 

What a great diverse group of people on this site. Thanks for all the input.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 59 posts ] New Topic Add Reply