It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Gaff Substitute
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:05 pm • # 1 
Administrator

For pesky Gar maybe? Image

My wife bought me this for Christmas. It's a UL caliber (.22) so unlike the rest of my guns I can *almost* afford to shoot this one Image It's pretty small at 75% the size of a P99 and seems to be fairly accurate with the laser. Will be a great plinking gun. I heard bad things about the early models but I've run almost 200 rounds through this one without a hiccup.

Last edited by jdub on Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Is it a pistol?
I can't see an image.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:17 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I remember when they first came out, I wanted one. Then it wasn't long before the problems started showing up with them. I'm sure all of the bugs have been worked out, but since Smith&Wesson is the Walther Importer and is manufacturing some of the Walther products I'll pass on it now. No love here for Smith&Wesson.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 pm • # 4 

Looks pretty sweet -- and a lot of fun, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:27 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Pretty cool looking. I think we need it for our next outing to the lake. :)

Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Does it show up for you now Les? I just moved the photo into my photobucket account.

J, the Walther site says this one is still manufactured in Germany but yeah, it's imported by S&W.

Skyfireblaze, this one is a lot of fun--it's small enough that you get a little recoil so it feels like you're actually shooting :-) I have a Ruger MkII with a 6" bull barrel which is a much higher quality gun than the Walther but it's so heavy that it feels like I'm shooting an air gun. The Ruger is *way* more accurate but that's to be expected as the P22 had a 3.4" barrel and is mostly polymer.

Last edited by jdub on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:45 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Jerry, I know the P-22 is made in Germany. One gun I really like is the PP series, and all the new ones are made by Smith & Wesson. The quality is horrible, and I can't believe Walther actually lets Smith get away with all the BS. I used to have a Walther PP made in Germany chambered for .32acp, and I regret selling it.

One Walther product that is really appealing is the little PPS. I wouldn't mind having a P5 either, those are nice guns.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:54 pm • # 8 

That looks like one sweet toy!

You sure are lucky to have a better half that gives you nice gifts like that.

Play safe,
chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm • # 9 
Administrator

J, I checked out the PPS a while ago when I picked up a Springfield XD. They really are great feeling guns in a slim profile although I liked the Kahr P9 a little better. If I were looking for a single-stack 9mm either one would be great.

Chris, my wife knew the P22 was on my list and she likes to shoot as well, so it worked out perfect. The shop recommends that wives don't buy the guns for their husbands but instead they ask that the couples come in together. That way the gun ends up being registered to the spouse that will actually own it.

I snuck over to the indoor range yesterday for an hour and had a blast! The only downside I've found with the laser is that everyone in the whole range can see how bad your hands start shaking after you've been at it a while Image This is my first laser and at 15 yards it's kind of hard to hold it steady on target. After shooting a couple boxes of 9mm and .45 ACP and then going back to the .22 it's REALLY hard to hold it steady and on target Image

A few size comparison pics:

The P22 next to P99. (the P99 in this case is a high quailty pellet gun licensed by Walther) As you can see unlike the P99 the P22 has an external hammer.

The Sig P238 (.380), the P22, an XD subcompact 9mm, and a Colt Combat Commander. Although similar in height and length, the P22 is only about 2/3 the width of the XD.

The P22 and its more accurate big brother, the Ruger.

Last edited by jdub on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:03 pm • # 10 
Administrator

How do you like the CP99? I was looking at the Walther Co2 guns on Pyramid Air the other day.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:30 pm • # 11 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
How do you like the CP99? I was looking at the Walther Co2 guns on Pyramid Air the other day.
J, as we've discussed before I have quite a few airguns including an Avanti Match and a Crossman 1377 like yours, but I end up shooting the P99 more than any of the others. It holds 8 rounds of .177 pellets and is surprisingly accurate for a combat style double-action gun. I have a trap setup in the attic and from a rest I can shoot all 8 rounds into a dime-sized spot at about 20'. Plenty accurate for messing around. The trigger has a long pull but is pretty smooth. You can "****" each round and shoot it single-action if you want but it's a manual operation unlike the P22 which can be fired DA for the first round and then SA for each following round.

I also have the Walther licensed PPK BB gun with the blowback functioning slide. It's not nearly as accurate but does fairly well and the blowback slide gives some recoil which helps when practicing staying on target. I'd rather shoot pellets than BB's though, so I don't shoot this one quite as much.

Both guns have very good build quality and the weights are supposed to be right in line with their centerfire brothers. The P99 is a lot of fun to shoot--the PPK just makes me want a *real* PPK Image

I know Pyramid carries a couple of different models of the CP99. I'm not sure what the differences are but this is the one I have. It's actually made in Germany by Walther.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/walther-cp99-air-pistol.shtml

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 am • # 12 

Nice gift...I enjoy plinking with my Ruger single six...I like that your pistol has a lazer site...I would like to get one for my daughter for a house gun...nothing like a little red dot on your chest to make you think twice.....I personally like .22 and .25 for a bedside gun...those little none recoil shells make a lot of noise and can do major damage while they bounce around in a body...keep the single six by my bed and pray I never have to use it....Rob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:06 pm • # 13 

I have not seen anyone hold a lazer dot steady with a handgun. That is strictly Hollywood. As a matter of fact, I prefer a chin flashlight because it is a more general pointer and allows you to identify whatever it is that is about to get shot. I also think a .22 makes an excellent house gun. Yes, you will likely only wound a bad guy but very few folks would continue the fight after being shot with a .22 one or more times. The extra weight below the barrel of the P22 makes for very quick follow-ups. Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm • # 14 
Administrator

robgcp wrote:
I like that your pistol has a lazer site...I would like to get one for my daughter for a house gun...nothing like a little red dot on your chest to make you think twice.....I personally like .22 and .25 for a bedside gun...those little none recoil shells make a lot of noise and can do major damage while they bounce around in a body...keep the single six by my bed and pray I never have to use it....Rob
Rob, I have the 9mm and the .45 loaded for home defense but I may keep this little guy loaded too. I think a single shot from the .45, complete with noise and flames coming out the barrel, will probably dissuade an intruder as quickly as 10 quick rounds from the .22--regardless of whether the .45 actually connects or not Image

With regards to the laser; if an intruder was some distance from me, and I had time to yell a warning, he might notice the red dot on his chest, but if things were happening quickly I imagine that neither he nor I would notice the location of the dot Image

One cool thing I have noticed is that when dry firing the gun (it has a decocker/safety that allows for safe dry firing) you can very easily see if you're pulling the gun to one side or the other while squeezing the trigger. It seems to be a good training tool.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply