It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:41 pm • # 1 

I bought Jerry's Sage Smallmouth rod. Tomorrow, it will take it's maiden plunge. Here on the South Fork, Snake River, there are big Browns. The State Record stood for 25 years of a Brown over 25 lbs. It was broken just a couple years ago. When I lived here back in the 80's and right after moving back, I used a 'flippin stick' a 7 foot rod which handles 1 oz jigs no problem. I caught Pike, Flathead Catfish and monster Bass with it in Nebraska. When I moved back to Idaho, I caught big Browns on the Snake River, my biggest was 30" and I caught most on big, multi jointed and multi hooked one oz jigs. I had a theory...the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish. I'm sorry to post this here. I've always said I match the stick to the game. Thx Jerry, I am excited to give the Sage Smallmouth a try. I'll let you know. I tied up a fly to try. It is similar to the jigs I used to tie, but lighter. I'm going to work the rifles and runs with it.

These jigs I tied sometimes were nearly 10" long including the trailer hook. I'm wanting NOT to use a trailer hook to avoid excessive harm to the fish if I can help it. This bait is 6" long. It sports a heavy Cone and lots of lead wire underneath. My plan is if I like the Smallmouth Rod, I will add a Largemouth rod some day. I plan on increasing the size of the baits to 10" like the jigs I used to tie.

Thx again Jerry, I love the fly rod.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:49 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I think you're on to something here. If a big brown takes the bait- it'll be a violent strike followed by a good fight.
I wanna hear about this maiden voyage.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:55 pm • # 3 

Definitely the rod and fly for the job. Good luck. Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:15 am • # 4 

I am with you on the big lure big fish concept..when I flung gear here in Al. I would use 10" plastic worms and large crankbaits...Hits were fewer, but when I got one it was a nice one...not sure if it would pretain to flies, but I bet it does...good luck...interested in the results......Rob

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply