It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2010
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:14 am • # 1 

I am not into New Year resolutions...they just seem to never work out for me....But every year I do write down goals I would like to accomplish that are reasonable..I always pick ten...and post them on my refridgerator so I have to see them most every day...Here are my 10 goals...

1. Spend more time with people I love....This is my most important one..
2. Fish more
3. Hold on to a job longer than 3 weeksImageImage ...which, by the way I have again acquired a job through the Al. Senior program...work in a Library.
4. I have the equipment I "need"...Now I want to master it..
5. Fish more
6. Take the time to help other people in any way I can and enjoy doing it..
7. Fish more
8. Try to find the good in any situation no matter what it is...kinda "look on the bright side" mentality because there is one there...just look for it..
9. Fish more
10. I want to Fish more...

I believe these are reasonable.....Happy New Year to all the Members of this forum... Rob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 am • # 2 
Administrator

I won't go into resolutions really, all I can say is that 2010 has to be better than 2009 since this has been one of the worst years of my life.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am • # 3 

Same here to all of you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 am • # 4 
Administrator

I wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year for 2010!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:44 am • # 5 

I pray that everyone has an awesome 2010 and that we all get to fish as much or more than we want. Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:59 am • # 6 

And I say HAPPY NEW YEAR ! to all .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm • # 7 

Thanks for thinking up a list for me Rob. I say Amen to all those except, fortunately #3. Hopefully 2010 will be less stressful than 2009. Happy New Year to all.

Roy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:55 pm • # 8 
Administrator

I hope and pray that we all have a very good and prosperous 2010. Something else I pray for is that we as humans raise to a new level of consciousness so that we can all, as individuals on this earth learn to get along, that wars will be a thing of the past, that poverty will be eradicated, and that we all enjoy life, liberty, and true happiness.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:18 am • # 9 

Amen, Rob.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 pm • # 10 

Last weekend I was cutting the splices on a few hundred bamboo pieces to make nodeless rods when I noticed the router bit acting funny. The cut was still smooth, but the bearing guide was wobbling. I thought maybe it had worn out and made a couple of more cuts before the sight of it wobbling got to me. In hind sight I should have stopped immediately. My guardian angel must have been right there, because when I shut it down, the wobbling was very obvious. It had somehow inched its way up and almost out. I unplugged it and walked away for a week. It scared me pretty bad, so I have not touched anything since then. This afternoon I decided to get off my butt and take a look at it and get back to working on rods. I didn't even need to loosen the collet. The bit was being held by less than 1/16 of an inch. All I had to do was forcefully wiggle it with my fingers and it came right out. I am pretty sure that if that hit me, if it wasn't fatal, it would have been serious. I can't imagine the speed or trajectory, but I can only imagine the damage a carbide tipped router bit spinning at 18,000 RPM could do my torso, neck or head. I need to get in a habit of checking my powered equipment and servicing it regularly before use.

So my New Years Resolution is to run a safer shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm • # 11 

Now that is scary...thank goodness you stopped when you did...Looks like you are on top of it tho with your resolution...Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:55 pm • # 12 

Nodeless rods? That is hardcore Scott. You are doing hollowbuilts too, aren't you? Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:42 pm • # 13 

Sorry I am so slow to respond. I have to remember to subscribe to posts that I make so I can follow up. On the hollowing/nodeless I can do one or the other, but not both at the same time. The splice joint needs as much surface area to support it. If you mess with that, the splice will fail. It is pure and simple engineering principles. I know of only one rodmaker who purports to make nodeless hollow rods. The problem is I can't find anybody who owns one of his $3000 rods with the balls to cut it open and call his bluff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:56 pm • # 14 

The splice must be over the dams. Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 pm • # 15 

That is if you use dams. I hollow flute like Winston. A few people on the rodmakers list have tried hollowing and nodeless and the results were disastrous. You could do dams and leave the scarfs solid underneath, but all six sides must line up at the scarf joints and that leaves a huge dead spot. Personally, I wouldn't do the dams unless that was the only means I had available simply because it is easy to do. Hollow fluting or "I" beam fluting requires specialized tools and leaves a surface area behind that is structurally supportive of each of the strips when bound together. When you hollow by dams, there is very little material to support the walls at each one of those hollow voids.

If you have ever seen one of Wayne Maca's rods, you would know what I mean about very little supportive material. He gets away with it though because of a number of critical things that are difficult to pull off. First is bamboo selection. He acoustically selects his culms. 99% of them are purely rejects. And the rejects may in fact be wonderful for your normal rod, but he needs the strongest of the strongest. Then he uses a highly toxic industrial strength epoxy resin that isn't available to the average Joe. You have to buy it in a 55 gallon drum and possess the license to store it. His rods are thin and hollow from end to end. His rods are the exception and not the rule though.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply