It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Motorcycles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 pm • # 1 

Who rides a motorcycle? I'm not only a pipe smoking Presbyterian who needs a 12 step program for his fly fishing addiction, I apparently have a death wish as well: I ride a motorcycle-specifically, an 06 Victory Touring Cruiser. Anybody else ride?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 am • # 2 

Hey Churchwarden, I smell a doctoral dissertation in the making for someone. There has to be some genetic commonality between all of us motorcycle-riding, pipe-smoking, guitar-picking, bird-doggin, fly-fishing people (only a small list of the joys we apparently share). I love murder-cycles, but swore them off after marriage and children. Nearly died on a crotch rocket at 19, so I gave up the really fast ones, and stuck to putt-putt type bikes. From 1995, this was my last-- a 1968 Norton P-11 chopper. 10" over springer front fork with a rigid tail. I think after my daughter leaves for college, another bike will be in order. BMW R-60's have kinda always rung my bell.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am • # 3 

Been riding since I was 15! My '97 Harley Roadking has been sitting for the last 3 years though. Times are tight, couldn't afford the upkeep and the fishing and hunting. Life is hard. Been riding the old '85 Honda XL350 a little but it may well hit the auction block. I noticed that a new company is about to build and sell the Kenny Dreer version of the new Norton. Now that is a bike I would love to see in the garage.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm • # 4 

Here is a photo of me and my '06 Victory Touring Cruiser.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm • # 5 

I've been on bikes off and on since I was 11. Strictly dirt oriented though.....I don't like fighting for road space with idiots in their 2,000 steel death mobiles. My wife finally got tired of worrying whether I'd wrap myself around the next tree or fly off the next jump and kill myself (motocross bikes have gotten FAST). So I compromised and now have a dual sport that I can take on trails or commute to work on. Possibly someday I'll convince her that we need a touring bike....but that ain't gonna happen any time soon.....especially now that I'm spending so much time on my new titanium crotch rocket!

David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 am • # 6 

I went to a motorcycle show last evening and was sorely tempted to finagle a trade for the new Victory Cross Roads, however I did not because there is something about being allowed to sleep in my own home at night that I like. Why is everything I enjoy so expensive? Bikes, bamboo fly rods, briar pipes, single malt whisky; it's all so costly. And I'm nothing but a poor blue collar worker. Maybe I could get an Obama bailout, a stimulus package, or just a few hundred thousand dollars so I would shut up and go away--after all, I am a Christian, white, heterosexual, non-unionized, Republican male who owns guns, eats meat, and drives a pick-up truck. Wow, now that I think about all that, I don't even deserve to live!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:14 am • # 7 

You, like myself, are doomed Churchwarden...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 am • # 8 

Careful guys, lest we slump into the dreaded political commentary (again). J. - Can I start a thread entitled "What I would buy if I could sell my vote for 300 million? Okay, okay, maybe not! Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 am • # 9 

I was so busy cracking myself up, I forgot the real post. I got my motorcycle license before my car license. When my dad returned from Vietnam, he had shipped a Honda scooter home in several big boxes. A 50 as I recall. The instructions were all in Japanese. He and a neighbor assembled it though, and we had it for years. I never owned one, but my brother has had several. I am still street legal for motorcycles, but have not ridden in years. Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 pm • # 10 

I might as well say it. Long ago, I was a rider. I had a 2 stroke 80 that I buzzed around on the farm with. One day when I was around 14, I was pretty well hauling A$$ down a dirt road that run between two barb wire fences. I hit a rock and all I remember was visions of - ground sky dirt fence dirt sky. When I stopped, my left collar bone was sticking through my shirt and I had road rash from my head to my toes.

The bike was gone forever after that, my Dad made sure of that.

I still suffer today with a collar bone that healed improper.

I got bucked off...and never got back on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:33 am • # 11 

I used to ride dirt all the time. I would post a vid but there is a **** shot so I am not sure if it would be cool with the admin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:17 pm • # 12 

Interesting thread! I too ride and have been for the last 30 years. Started on a Suzuki 500 two stroke that I rode back and forth to school regardless of the weather. Moved up to Kawasaki 900 then Suzuki's because the 4 valvers were faster! Bought a police Electra Glide before the Harley market exploded and have been riding baggers since. Present ride: '08 Electra Glide classic in basic black. Still love the speed, but I put it to the ground with 4 wheels these days. Fastest bike I ever rode was a friends turbo Honda Blackbird 1000. 227 H.P. at the rear wheels. It was a thrill that can hardly be described. Looking forward to cruising and exploring SW Wisconsin streams this year on the 2 wheeler with the rods in the top box... no schedule... just enjoying the day. Spring will be here soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 am • # 13 

So how do you all carry your fishing rod on your bike?  Do you purposely find a four or five piece rod ... or a two piece and just stick it out the back... or up in the air ?  I settled on a Winston LT 469-5.  It's not "UL" ... but it almost fits in the toolkit of my R1100gs.  Anybody recommend a many piece 1-3 wt rod.  Anybody tried a Tenkara rod ?  They pack pretty small and tight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 am • # 14 

I built a Cabelas Stowaway 8'6" 5 wgt. 5 piece.  Barely fits in the Roadking saddlebag and works great for the small streams I like to target.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 pm • # 15 

I've had a few Harleys since 1977 or 1978. 

Here's one that was a rolling basket case before I put some work and $$ into it:

Here's my current two wheel ride:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 pm • # 16 

Hello, I am new to this board and will post pics of my 3wts soon but for now here is a photo of my bike.
And one of the places I enjoy riding to. Cheers, Paul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 am • # 17 

nice ride....very pretty water....thanks for posting...Welcome to the site...Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 pm • # 18 

I use to ride dirt a while ago. '01 YZ250F.

Still ride my sportsbike. '05 R6.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 pm • # 19 

Thank you for the welcome Rob, This is a great forum. I might start a new thread on combined fishing/motorcycling trips. PB 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 am • # 20 

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply