It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:43 pm • # 1 

My Dad handed me this old Diawa spinning outfit today.  He hangs onto things.  I won this rod back in 1976 when I was around 8.  I won it at a fishing contest where I caught the biggest fish.....a big carp that swam by and swallowed the worm I was fishing with.  It came with a tiny Diawa spinning reel and extra spool.  It's amazing the rod is still around and in great shape.  The tip is staggered almost 8 inches.

I bet it's been thirty years since this rod was fished.  It still has a spool full of the old Gold Stren 4lb test line on it from the 70's.

I told my wife I was going to have the rod converted to a fly rod.  It is 5 1/2 feet long and light action.  I bet it would make a fine glass fly rod....but she said no.  I guess it's hers now. 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:02 pm • # 2 

That is a sweet looking Ultra light spin outfit...bet it would be fun catching some of those nice trout you have there...i never had a diawa...wish I did...I love old ul spinners...and that old gold stren was my go to line for trout when I used to fish for trout in WV with my old garcia ul...no special reason except I loved the color and how it would shine when the sun hit it just right....Rob

Last edited by robgcp on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 am • # 3 

VERY NICE- I would keep it orginal. I just found in a box the other day, a diawa 500c that I bought new in 1980. I fished for everything with that little reel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 am • # 4 

that's a nice little outfit. i have a couple of ultralights from the 70's and still carry one with me. When fish can't easily be located i use my little ultralight to find them with a small black jig or a little spin jig. If fish are over 8 foot deep you can find them much faster with a spin outfit than with a sinking fly line.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply