It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Good grief
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:41 am • # 1 
Administrator

So, Thursday night the weather man gave us a snow advisory and said that we would get from 4-6 inches in our area. The snow started yesterday and today, Saturday morning, the snow is over a foot deep and it's till coming down. I haven't gone out to measure the depth yet, but I plan to. This is insane.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 am • # 2 

Here in Idaho, when the forecast is calling for a "Winter Storm Warning"  we relax because it is likely we will see an inch or two.  But, when they are calling for a 20-30% chance of scattered flurries, we brace for blizzard conditions, 1 to 2 feet of snow, 40 MPH winds, road closers, whiteout conditions, power outages and food shortages.  Then add to all that, two days later, the temps fall below zero.

I feel your pain.

Post Script.  Once back in my trucking days, I was heading North towards Toledo on I-75.  It was early AM, dark and raining like hell.  As it started to get light as I was approaching the Lima area and the temps were hovering in the 30 deg range.  Then I watched the thermometer I had on my truck drop.....28 deg, 27 deg, 26 deg....then 25 deg....but it still down poured some of the heaviest rain fall I have ever seen.  Everywhere, trucks, cars were flipping, skidding, doing 360's  across the road, into the South Bound traffic, into the median, into the ditch....it was a **** mess.  I poked along about 10 mph trying to find a place to get off the road.  I found a place, and drank coffee for a few hours until the temps warmed back up.  There was several inches of ice on everything.  My CB antennas must have been 3 inches in Dia. and bent over like most of the trees around.  After it warmed up, it took 4 hours of road closer to clean up the debris.   

You never know in Ohio.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:38 am • # 3 
Administrator

I had my son measure the snow, and where he did, it was 16" deep. I hate winter, snow, and cold.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 pm • # 4 

David Gale wrote:
Here in Idaho, when the forecast is calling for a "Winter Storm Warning"  we relax because it is likely we will see an inch or two.  But, when they are calling for a 20-30% chance of scattered flurries, we brace for blizzard conditions, 1 to 2 feet of snow, 40 MPH winds, road closers, whiteout conditions, power outages and food shortages.  Then add to all that, two days later, the temps fall below zero. 

Ain't that the truth Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:18 pm • # 5 

We have different problem up here near Vancouver, we have the Winter Olympics about to start but have a shortage of snow.  Whistler is fine for the big hill skiing, its up in the mountains north of Vancouver and quite a bit colder.  But some of the skiing and snowboard events will be held at Cypress Mountain, about a half dozen miles from downtown Vancouver.  They had over 10 feet of snow earlier in the winter, but the mild temperatures we've had since mid-December has melted much of it.  They made snoe and stockpiled it earlier in the winter so they are using that, as well as trucking snow in from other areas with lots.

The warm weather has been good for the fishing though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 pm • # 6 

Thats NE Ohio for you....16 inches stinks....I do not miss the heavy snows in WV...they were pretty at times...but sure play he@@ with the driving and other things...But, hang on J. Football is almost over and I always notice that most of the time in a couple of weeks things begin to warm up some....It is cold here in Al and rainy...but, at least I do not have to shovel anything...fishing warmwater stinks still tho...took the water temp today and it was only 43 and not near what it needs to be to get some good fishing in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 am • # 7 

David, I ran into the heavy rain /black ice instant freeze every winter between the hills on I90 over lake Erie through Cleveland down I271 to about the 204mi marker on I71. I was an air freight hauler for 23yrs on that route .

Last edited by Flickfly on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am • # 8 

Flickfly wrote:
David, I ran into the heavy rain /black ice instant freeze every winter between the hills on I90 over lake Erie through Cleveland down I271 to about the 204mi marker on I71. I was an air freight hauler for 23yrs on that route .

People ask me how I can handle driving on the roads here in Idaho.  I tell them I can run along at a pretty good clip on snow packed roads.  I'd much rather do that than run through the Mid West or No. East...where black ice can happen in an instant.  I had a Thermometer on my truck and I watched it like a hawk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:47 am • # 9 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Ohio weather can be a nightmare with freezing rain though. Dont miss it but but that was what we had here on the last storm. So far the total snow fall for the winter here is 71 inches. Not to thrilled as in the past I have been able to get out and fish in places I like to but not this time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:03 am • # 10 
Administrator

Yes Ohio weather stinks. We are getting another storm sometime today or tomorrow. Lots more snow on top of what we got last week. When this all melts it's gonna push all the creeks over the banks.

J.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply