It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm • # 1 

My 11 year old son, Trevor is a bookworm.  He can devour a few hundred page book in a few days and regurgitate it's contents with amazing detail in an oral report to my wife, Jami while she cooks or does the dishes.  Barnes and Nobel is his favorite store in the world and if we can't find enough books there, we turn to E bay for used ones for him to consume.  Everywhere in his bedroom are books, even under his pillow where he can 'quick draw' a book on a sleepless night.  He reads silent, he reads aloud, he reads to us while we try to watch TV and when we ignore him too much, he reads to the cat.

Lately, he has been gobbling up warrior books, one after another....swords, spears, shields and face pieces are more interesting to him than guns, bombs, fighter jets and cruise missiles.  I have long ago, become disgruntled with our world's passion for going to war once every decade.  The other day, while trying to tie flies for a weekend fishing trip, he bombarded me with facts, info, names, places and weaponry of some ancient war.  I gave my typical responses like..."huh huh"..."cool"..."sweet" ..."yep"..."sounds awesome", while trying my level best to wrap a hackle on a tiny #20 dry fly.   

I was paying some attention to his book report and when he was done, I asked if he was interested in joining the military.  He said....
" Naw!  I am not interested in war."
 "I think decisions on going to war has become too easy....BOOM  BOOM BLAST BANG BASH BLAM BOOM is how a modern war sounds"  
"If they want to go to war, they should make them use swords."   
"Then they might give the decision to go to war, a bit more thought ."

Hmmmm...a future leader?  I'm so proud.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm • # 2 

My 10 year old has the makings of a fine politician. I was explaining to her that a certain political party was ruining our economy. She asked why they didn't just use THIS economy to invent a NEW economy. I couldn't stop laughing. Don

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 am • # 3 

You have reason to be proud...you have a nice family and your son already has a good head on his shoulders...Great to hear he loves to read so much....a lot is to be learned reading good books..And I never thought about it, he is right, war is inevitable but, being eye to eye with the enemy would make people think twice about war...

Don...Children look at things simply...Your daughter would get my vote!! Sounds as tho she also is going to a asset in our future.....

Rob

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply