It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 am • # 1 

My Dad wanted to go shooting.  Well you don't need to beg me twice to shooting or fishing.  He wanted to go see if he could find some rock chucks out on the desert.  I made an interesting discovery about his condition.....you get him outdoors and he just goes back to his old self, telling stories, laughing and discussing things he still wants to do.  He never missed a beat talking as he talked my ear off for hours...it was wonderful.  We think he had a stroke a few months ago though we will never know because he refuses to go to a hospital.  At times, he has real trouble talking and walking.  It was great to see him out walking and talking.  Now he wants to go on a spring bear hunt...fine with me.

I mostly spotted saving any possible rock chuck shooting opportunities for him which there was only three and they were too quick to dive in their holes.  We sighted in his new 17 Mach II for  the up coming ground squirrel shoot the end of the month.  I found a distant safe hill side to sight in the old 300 H&H Magnum he gave me a few months ago.  It was a good morning.

I want to impress upon you he went back 20 years in time.  I think the outdoors and spending time with his family will add to his life.

Dad with his 22-250 looking for a chuck.  This is one pretty rifle and looks as good as the day he pulled it out of the box...25 years ago.

No!....he is not shooting towards the irrigation pivot.  He still has a sharp enough eye.  Isn't that a good looking mountain 4x4?  ha ha.  It works good for that...and plowing snow.

Good to see him walking.

It was a good morning.  I invited him to go fishing with the family but he said he was tired.  It was good to spend the morning with him.  Well, now for the fishing trip.  My wife bought her fishing license and wanted to go fishing...and the kids too.  My Son Trevor mostly played and chased bugs with big sticks.  He does that until the fishing turns good.  It was spinning gear.  My wife asked me what I was going to fish with...I told her I wasn't planning on fishing.  Once I set her up with my old Daiwa glass rod and a Panther Martin, she was off and running.  She hooked a few that kept getting off (even my lures are barbless)  she thought it was funner fishing with long distance releases.  I sprinted back and forth helping untangle fishing line which was fine.

Timber Trout

Hey! a Brown Trout

I love the South Fork Snake River.

It was a really good day.

My wife asked me if I would think less of her for NOT fly fishing....why would she think I would do that?  I don't care what you fish with.  It is just awesome to go fishing together.  Looking forward to a great summer with all of my family.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 am • # 2 
Administrator

Good times with the family.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:44 pm • # 3 

I love family outings. They just premiered "The River Why" here in Dallas. I thought it was out already, but I guess not. They were interviewing the actors and of course fly fishing came up. Evidently they sent them to a fishing school near you Dave. William Devane says he owns a place out there in Idaho but did not go to the school. The one scene they showed from the movie the actor had a spinning outfit, so I am totally confused. Don

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm • # 4 
Administrator

David, Thanks for sharing that. i reaqlly miss times with my "old man" now that he's gone all I have left are good memories. I'm glad to see your dad out enjoying himslef -with you...

Les

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:52 pm • # 5 

I would give almost anything to spend just one more day with my Father fishing...He was by far my favorite fishing partner and truly my best friend....I miss him daily...even after 31 years....You are blessed David to have this time with your Dad...do whatever it takes to spend as much time doing what he loves doing...You will never forget these days....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm • # 6 

Nice write up. That last picture with your father walking the two track over looking all those rocks looks like a rock chuck paradise! Did you guys connect on any chucks that day?

Sounds like you had an excellent day spending time with your father and family. Beautiful river.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply