It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Tick Removal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:54 am • # 1 

The season is upon us...This is something we do not consider sometimes...Tick bites carry disease and we all must be careful since our chosen outdoor sport is one that makes up prime candidates for tick related disease...Please either self check or have someone check you for ticks and remove them carefully in this manner after each outing...

What is the best way to remove a tick?

1. Use fine-tipped tweezers or notched tick extractor, and protect your fingers with a tissue, paper towel, or latex gloves. Persons should avoid removing ticks with bare hands.

2. Grasp the tick as close to the skin surface as possible and pull upward with steady, even pressure. Do not twist or jerk the tick; this may cause the mouthparts to break off and remain in the skin. (If this happens, remove mouthparts with tweezers. Consult your health care provider if illness occurs.

3. After removing the tick, thoroughly disinfect the bite site and wash your hands with soap and water.

4. Do not squeeze, crush, or puncture the body of the tick because its fluids may contain infectious organisms. Skin accidentally exposed to tick fluids can be disinfected with iodine scrub, rubbing alcohol, or water containing detergents.

5. Save the tick for identification in case you become ill. This may help your doctor to make an accurate diagnosis. Place the tick in a sealable plastic bag and put it in your freezer. Write the date of the bite on a piece of paper with a pencil and place it in the bag..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 am • # 2 

....or put some sallys hard as nails on him; he'll suffocate and fall off, or at least thats what was told to me by some dude, sometime ago-p-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:38 am • # 3 
Administrator

Good advice Rob. Lyme disease is nasty stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 am • # 4 

A tick does not have to breathe for a very long time...in the time it takes to suffocate one it can pass any disease...I also thought that...vasoline, burning them off, nail polish, really do not work...this is the best way to remove them..When I came back from doing some scouting/fishing last week I found 4 on me...they had not yet started dinner...That is what prompted me to write this thread...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 am • # 5 
Administrator

I had a couple on me in the last few years. I was lucky that I found them before they attached themselves. Nasty little critters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:41 am • # 6 

Hi All;

Bought one of these from local vet for removing ticks from my dog:  http://www.theticknipper.com/

I used to have a Jack Russell terrier and he had the nasty habit of finding a den of dear mouse ticks somewhere,  he'd be covered with literally hundreds of them! I used to think they would drain all his blood since he was such a small dog.  The  "tick nipper" is the only thing I ever found that would remove these little devil ticks every time.

It works great on the dear mouse ticks on dogs and people, always removes the entire tick!  It works on regular sized ticks just as well.

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 am • # 7 

Thanks for the tips!

BUT, I am wondering if they would catch a fish?

Heck, if you have a small hook stick one on, and give us the results.

Personally I think that they look like dragonfly nymphs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 am • # 8 

Quote:
Personally I think that they look like dragonfly nymphs.

Good lord! I never want to visit where you are from!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:43 pm • # 9 

Thanks for the link Wayne...another item on get when I can list...looks like a great way to remove those ugly buggers..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:18 pm • # 10 

Your right Rob.  The only way to remove a tick is to pull them out as you said.  There is no other way.  I've pulled them out of folks many times.  All other 'tick' remedies will get you no where.  Thx for posting.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 pm • # 11 

I found a product called REPEL at a local sports store a few years ago. I haven't got a mosquito or tic since when using it. You'll smell like a lemon eucalyptus tree but it works. Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:26 pm • # 12 

Well I would rather smell like a lemon eucalyptus tree than find one of those buggers with a big white belly sucking the life out of me!!..Thanks, I will try some of that...

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply