It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:33 am • # 1 

I dont recall which one of you lightweights posted about their airguns, but my ImagewifeImage wants to have a few words with you..Image
And my son wants to THANK YOU..Image
We have been having a BLAST at home on the range.
No bottle, can or other recyclable is safe...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Ryan, that's great. I love to shoot my Red Ryder BB gun too. I have a number of other airguns as well, but there is something special about a good Red Ryder, a 5000 ct. bottle of BB's, and a bunch of empty soda cans. It can be really addictive.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:38 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I'm afraid our neighborhood association nazis will call the cops on us so we do all of our shooting in the garage and in the attic where we have a little range setup. Of course with the outside temps in the high 90's the attic isn't really a place we want to spend much time lately. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 pm • # 4 

Good Job Dad...Not a better way to teach your son how to shoot and firearm safety...besides that it is nothing but Fun!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 am • # 5 

Im thinking the North Texas chapter of Bluegill Unlimited should sponsor a cast and blast event when it gets cooler. I'll take it up at the next meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm • # 6 
Administrator

UrbanAngle wrote:
Im thinking the North Texas chapter of Bluegill Unlimited should sponsor a cast and blast event when it gets cooler. I'll take it up at the next meeting.
You figure out where we can shoot airguns in North Texas without having to worry about having enough money to post bail and I'm in! Image

I checked with Collin County and you have to have at least 10 acres of private land.  If you own 5 acres and shoot on it they can bust you--and this is for airguns for crying out loud!

When I lived in Austin we had a huge empty field across the street from our church (183 & 35 before the built the WalMart).  Our cub scout leader took the boys over to this field one day to work on their BB-gun-shooting Belt Loop (you folks with kids in cub scouts know what those are).  He wasn't out there 20 minutes before someone driving by called the cops and 3 carloads of Austin's finest descended on these little kids and their very embarrassed scout leader Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm • # 7 

Surprised Texas is so restrictive. In NC, we can't legally shoot air guns outside within the city, but anywhere in the county is ok so long as you don't hit anyone or their valuables, and anywhere indoors in the city is ok. You can get away with it pretty easily if don't make a nuisance of yourself outside and use common sense (like staying within a wooden fence and use a good back stop).
CC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm • # 8 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
Surprised Texas is so restrictive.
Not all of Texas.  I just happen to live in a totally yuppified county (and you didn't know Texas had such a thing).  Our cops can go.. uhm... a little overboard at times. 

We have a large open chunk of hayfield behind us and for a while they had a porta-potty out there while they did some work on a walking path around this thing.  My wife saw some kids throwing bricks through the porta-potty one day so she yelled at them to stop and then came in and called the *non-emergency* police line when they ignored her.  About 30 seconds later we had two cop cars come screeching through the neighborhood and skidding to a stop next to the field!  The cops jumped out and ran these kids down in a heartbeat.  Was pretty impressive.

That's for kids throwing things.  A guy with a pellet gun would probably get an entire SWAT team sent after him Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:08 pm • # 9 

Well, Asheville's the second most liberal place in NC, behind Chapel Hill (or maybe we're first now), but the bi-monthly gun show at the Ag center is always packed with people, and plenty of locals still shoot hill chickens--grouse (or claim they do--I've never personally seen one get up in the air, lol). I will say that most of the people I see at the gun shows (I go mostly for the old pocketknife dealers) are outfitting themselves for WWIII (or the revolution) and bypassing the hunting arms. I doubt most of the stuff sold there ever gets shot--probably just held for a while and then sold or traded (at a loss) at a later show.
CC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:47 pm • # 10 
Administrator

cross creek one wrote:
Well, Asheville's the second most liberal place in NC, behind Chapel Hill (or maybe we're first now), but the bi-monthly gun show at the Ag center is always packed with people, and plenty of locals still shoot hill chickens--grouse (or claim they do--I've never personally seen one get up in the air, lol). I will say that most of the people I see at the gun shows (I go mostly for the old pocketknife dealers) are outfitting themselves for WWIII (or the revolution) and bypassing the hunting arms. I doubt most of the stuff sold there ever gets shot--probably just held for a while and then sold or traded (at a loss) at a later show.
CC
Asheville sounds like an interesting place!  It bums me out to see people buy firearms or fishing gear for the sole purpose of investment.  It just drives the price up for the people who would actually *use* the stuff.

Collin county isn't liberal at all politically (that would be Austin).  It just seems like we have a bunch of non-Texan conservative up-scale city folk who give me the evil eye for harassing fish, neighborhood associations who don't allow trucks or SUVs to be parked out front (unless they say Lincoln or Cadillac on them--no, I'm not making this up), and idiots who build next to working dairy farms because they look rustic and then get them shut down because the cows don't smell nice.  It's a weird place and definitely not a typical Texas town.

When I retire I hope to end up in Llano, Texas, but by then it may be full of these nuts, too!     

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:19 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Most folks here in my village don't spook at guns, they own them too, but our Mayor is a **** commie type liberal. I had to complain about the wording of our gun ordinance here. The way they had it worded wasn't specific enough so I called the Mayor up and asked her for her interpretation of it. She said no shooting firearms in the village, and then I asked if that meant airguns too. She said no, just firearms. I told her that the law needed to be reworded so that it wasn't so vague that you could say that even airsoft guns weren't legal to shoot. I got it changed...finally.

I'd like to have a match grade air rifle. I like to shoot tiny little groups, but with my spring piston rifle it's not always easy to do. The dual recoil response from the spring and piston, not to mention the crappy trigger, means that I'm not gonna get those one hole groups.

One thing I like to do is shoot the Red Ryder at ranges most folks wouldn't bother with. I set cans out to 25-30 yards and plink that way. It can be a challenge with that low velocity and smooth bore barrel, but it is fun.

With my Gamo rifle I have made numerous hits out to 75 yards (no scope, just factory iron sights) on groundhogs. No it doesn't kill them, but they run like hell. I'm sure it hurts, I can hear the loud thud the pellet makes when it hits them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 am • # 12 

Couple of airguns I've always wanted: The little Daisy "match" version of the Red Ryder with precision-ground barrel and peep sights (the single shot model that AG Russell sells), and the Tyrolean-stocked Weihrauch (HW 55) club match rifle (not recoilless, but heavy enough to absorb most of the unique "double recoil" of spring piston guns). The first is well within my means, but I've got to give up something to justify it, and it will be obvious to the comptroller-locus, unlike a new rod. The second, available only on the used market, I believe, has got to be very pricey by now. I used to shoot handguns competitively (early Navy days), and one of my favorite guns was a Feinwerkbau (FWB 65) recoilless match pistol, expensive even back in the late 1970s. Amazing how accurate and smooth a fully recoilless match gun can be.
CC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 am • # 13 
Administrator

I've wanted a FWB 603 Match rifle for a long time. It's a single stroke Pneumatic so no recoil. I don't see it listed anymore for sale at Pyramid Air nor on the FWB website.
Seems like all the new match guns are PCP rifles, which I'm not interested in.

Daisy has the Avanti Match line of guns and I may end up with an Avanti 753 rifle at some point. It's affordable and has a Lothar Walther barrel. I've read that the trigger isn't all that nice out of the box, but one can do a trigger job on it to lighten and smooth it out. I've also read that these Avanti's are used in junior clubs and matches.
I know that you could buy one model from CMP at one point, maybe you still can.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply