It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: iPhone users?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:39 pm • # 1 
Administrator

My Blackberry recently died a soggy death and I decided that was my chance to switch from Nextel to AT&T and get an iPhone. These things are pretty cool but take some getting used to. I'm curious if any of y'all who have these fancy contraptions have found some good fishing related apps or any other 'can't do without' apps. One thing I've noticed is that the battery life is rather short. Is there any way to help this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm • # 2 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
My Blackberry recently died a soggy death and I decided that was my chance to switch from Nextel to AT&T and get an iPhone. These things are pretty cool but take some getting used to. I'm curious if any of y'all who have these fancy contraptions have found some good fishing related apps or any other 'can't do without' apps. One thing I've noticed is that the battery life is rather short. Is there any way to help this?
Once you quit playing with it all the time the battery will easily last a day but you will need to charge every night.  Turn off bluetooth if you're not using it, too.

Checkout Co-Pilot USA http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copilot-live-usa/id373661427?mt=8 it costs a few bucks but gives you turn by turn GPS.  You can buy audio turn by turn for another $3 from inside the app.  I compared it to my dedicated GPS in the car the other day and it works very well.  Certainly beats paying $150 for a dedicated unit.

Camera+ gives you a lot more control over the camera but they got yanked from the App Store yesterday for putting an Easter Egg in their app.  They'll fix it and be back, though, so watch for that one.

iTraige is good for first aid.  Orvis has an app but they want some ridiculous price for it.   I don't have any dedicated fishing apps on mine.  If you or someone in your family is ill or suffering from a long-term problem checkout my SymptoTrakr  

How's that for a shameless plug?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:05 pm • # 3 
Administrator

One more cool trick. The pics you take with your phone are GPS tagged, so if you go into the Photo app you can list them by location and pull up a map that shows where they were all taken. Very cool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:16 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Thanks Jerry! That is a cool trick with the GPS pictures. I'll look into those other apps as well.
There should be a waterproof app or a floating app. That would be handy. ;D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:27 am • # 5 

You could also try the Orvis app for it:

Animated knots
The basic fly cast
Top 10 Fly casting mistakes
Field guide for the top 100 trout flies
Fishing reports
Fly Fishing glossary and terms

You could find it at Orvis, left menu near bottom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 am • # 6 
Administrator

Yeah, I saw the Orvis app and it looks good too but the price is not worth it to me.

On the battery life issue, I have noticed that even if I don't fiddle with it during the day and only make periodic phone calls and compose and reply to a few emails I will be out of juice by the time I drive home from work. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Chris, there are several things you can do to extend the battery life.  If you're running iOS 4 and you start any kind of app that uses GPS you need to make sure the app really shuts down when you're done.  By default it will attempt to run in the background in which case you need to press the home button twice to bring up the task manager and then kill the app.

If you see the little pointer in the status bar at the top it means your GPS is running and sucks the battery like crazy.  Here's what it looks like (circled in red):

If you mainly use WIFI you can turn off the 3G radio (I leave it on) and also make sure you have Roaming turned off:

One more thing you can do is turn the Ask to Join Networks button off.  This keeps the phone from scanning for WIFI all the time you're out and about.  I work out of the house so I don't bother to turn mine off.

The 3G radio, WIFI radio, and GPS are the three biggest drains on the battery followed closely be screen brightness.  Also, talking on the phone can eat it up pretty fast too if you have long conversations.

On a typical day I use the WIFI more than the phone and I usually have 50-60% of my battery left on my iPhone 4 by the time I go to bed.  On my 3GS I would usually have 40-50% left, and the 3G was a little worse.  My original iPhone still does just fine and can easily make it a day without charging.  My daughter has a 3GS and doesn't have any problems making it all day.

Between my test units and our regular phones we have 5 iPhones in the house and haven't had battery problems with any of them.  My wife did leave her turn by turn GPS app running in the background one day and went from 100% to 0 in about 4 hours Image

If it keeps running out that soon I'd take it to an Apple store.  They can test it and swap it out if it's bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am • # 8 
Administrator

Thanks for the tips Jerry. I'll keep an eye out for the battery suckers but so far I'm running a pretty minimal setup so I may take it in to have it looked at.
Pretty cool shots of your technology, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am • # 9 
Administrator

I found this after searching a bit: http://www.proposedsoluti...phone-battery-life-tips/
I made an adjustment to the push/fetch settings and it seems that now I have a little better battery life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 am • # 10 
Administrator

CBarclay wrote:
I found this after searching a bit: http://www.proposedsoluti...phone-battery-life-tips/
I made an adjustment to the push/fetch settings and it seems that now I have a little better battery life.
Chris, you shouldn't have to turn off Push email unless you aren't using an email account that supports it.  I use Push for both Exchange email and MobileMe email and didn't have battery issues with my 3GS.

If you don't have a Push email account then it's fine to turn it off.  Still something else going on though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Thanks Jerry. It didn't really make that much sense to me to turn off push but I tried it anyway. But right now I've got 55% battery with average usage (for me) and yesterday at this time I had 20% with average usage. BTW, I take it off the charger @ 5:30 after charging all night. I also turned off the ask to join net works part.
I read around on the nets about the various operating systems sometimes having various battery sucking abilities (mine is 4.0.2). But overall I really like the device and feel it's a giant help and a step ahead of my Blackberry.
Thanks a lot for the tips, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I don't know how close you are to an Apple store but if it's not too far I'd take it by and tell them what's going on. They're *way* better to work with than AT&T. I've had really good look at our local Apple store and it's only about 5 minutes from the house. They given me free laptop batteries on out of warranty laptops, swapped out my iPhone 4 for some weird intermittent problem, and let me return stuff I bought online from Apple. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:10 am • # 13 
Administrator

I'll do that, thanks for the pointers. I actually just remember that I have a friend who works at one of the Apple Stores here in St. Louis - I may ask her opinion next time I see her or if I'm near the store I'll stop in.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply