It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm • # 1 

I can't remember for sure how long ago it was that I bought the Penta from Don...last Winter maybe.  Anyway, I opened the rod tube to see if it was still in there or if it went hitch hiking back to Texas.

The South Fork Snake River is just a few miles away and we have had some nice hatches lately.  There is a real pale Sulfur hatch on about a #14 and I tie up a pretty blond Cahill nock off to match and it worked pretty good tonight on a few LDR's.  I finally got a 15" Brown that wanted to dance all the way to my hands...so the Penta got some Idaho Mojo.

I used an old US Made Martin Classic 56 with a Rio WF 5.  I'd say it worked pretty good.  A 6wt would have been fine too.  A 5.5 might be perfect but with a bamboo, who cares.  The rod certainly would not...all I would have to do is adjust the cast here and there.  Bamboo is cool that way.

The 7' Penta certainly is or can be a Bamboo 'bugger chucker'.  I really doubt if the rod was meant to be a dry fly rod - But! it certain showed some real authority and when I did my part, 60 feet was simple and still land a #14 Cahill on the surface like a feather.  I think it is a streamer rod...sort of a Bamboo version of a Sage Smallmouth..but classier, but the Sage Smallmouth is no dry fly rod and it would be foolish to try it.  The Penta works pretty good as a dry fly rod when I need it too.

15" Brown in mid fight.

The South Fork of the Snake is a special river.  Parting shot here in fading sun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm • # 2 

Glad you were finally able to get that beauty out and fish it...sounds like a highly versitile rod....One thing for sure with that reel on there it is one handsome outfit....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:20 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I really need to fish that some time. that's the kind of water that yells "hey there's trout in here!"

Les

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 am • # 4 
Administrator

Beautiful rod, reel and water! I'm glad you got it out and put some mojo on it! Great report, Dave!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 am • # 5 

If you were getting 60 feet then you are in the groove. Did the rod meet your expectations for a big water rod? I thought it lighter in the hand than the sheer weight of the rod would indicate. It is a little hard to tell in the pix, but that is a wood grip and seat. However, with the titanium ferrules, it is smooth enough for dry fly work.

I am curious as to whether you could tell any difference in the tips? Don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:21 pm • # 6 

Don,  I only had about an hour.  I used the Double Foot Eye tip.  If I have more time next time, I will try to compare more lines and the other tip.  The rod is a chunk but really no more heavy in feel that my Sage Smallmouth.  I did notice it threw tight loops.  I was thinking to myself "bamboo' so I was casting pretty slow.  I found with this rod, I did better when I sped things up a bit.  I think a few of those cast might have been beyond 60' and the rod handled it.  Like most of my casting, I like the 30-40 foot area best.

I think the rod is a big water rod....and with big hoppers, Simulators and buggers....probably with a 6wt line.  I hope to have it back out soon when I have more time and can try some things.  But given I had it in my hands for but a few minutes and was hitting some distance with it, I am pleased.

Thx

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:47 pm • # 7 

I agree about the big hoppers, simis and bugs. I am not sure about the 6 weight line. A Rio 5.5 would do it for you, I think. However, if a 6 works, go for it. Did you notice how straight that tip tracks? I found that I was casting hooks with every cast when holding the rod at 60 degrees because the penta taper held to plane. Don

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 pm • # 8 

If it tended to throw a hook, I would have never known as I throw a hook on nearly every cast I make.  I have just learned to let the line find it's path just before most fly fishermen would...that is I let the line fly a tad soon. 

To tell the truth, I doubt it needs a 6wt line.  I think a wf5 is plenty...not perfect but good enough.   I have found, in my experience anyway, that Bamboo will cast a lot of lines well.  You just need to learn how the rod wants to track with that given line, then adjust accordingly.  With a fast action rod, the rod becomes 'Boss'.  With a bamboo, you form a cooperative between you , the rod and the line.  It keeps you out of a rut, so to speak as you are constantly learning and fine tuning...in a pleasant sort of way..  The Penta is faster action...but not that fast.  It reminds me of no other rod I have ever cast. 

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply