It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Inflatable Pontoon Boat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:15 pm • # 1 

So I am seriously considering buying this: http://www.piscespredator.co.za/ Can you guys please relate to me your experiences with these types of craft and any tips/advice you may have? I have been looking at float tubes, v boats, u boats and everything almost to bloody submarines lol!

I like the idea of this boat due to the fact that it rides high in the water and I might be able to use it to navigate rivers etc. But we do sometimes have strong winds and I am wondering how big of an anchor/drogue I would require to not be blown to another continent in a few seconds! ;)

I will most probably manufacture such a device so any tips there also would be kind!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:56 pm • # 2 

Looks good, looks like it will ride high for shallow spots on rivers.. I have float tubes and a pontoon and i've bought different anchors, but my favorite is simply made from a chain. I bought 3 feet and had it cut into 3 sections, then I bought a bicycle inner tube, cut to the length of the chain and used it to cover the chain to keep it from hanging up and no noise. I connect them together with a link fastener. That way I can adjust the amount of weight I need. cost around $10 total... and I have 3 anchors......
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm • # 3 

Mark I was considering doing exactly the same, but the bicycle tube is a brilliant idea! I always wonder about noise etc, some days I think too much though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:08 pm • # 4 

Great Minds Think alike LOL..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:15 pm • # 5 

Gert, looks like a great setup. The only thing I would add would be to drill a hole near the end of the bolts used to assemble the frame and slide a snap clip through it. That way if one of the nuts comes lose it can not back all the way off and have the frame disassemble underneath you.

That type of setup will keep you high and dry and since you are still using fins to maneuver you should be able to compensate for the wind however it is not something that you would fish downstream all day in and then expect to fin back upstream against the current.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:54 pm • # 6 

Outcasts are sweet. Never seen one of these before

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 am • # 7 

So some feedback on the kickboat, it works extremely well, no water above the knees even from splashing! I got some neoprene booties (for wading boots that flap over to keep gravel out) and unroll them upwards so the fins are comfortable and in winter my feet should be warm (still have to test that out ;) ). Went out on a dam for the fist time yesterday and caught three smallish black bass. Not on fly though :/ I can see now if I use my fly rod in those waters I'll be able to handle the fish and get a ton of bites! Might even chuck a small popper out ;) The dam at my house (in the secure complex) has tilapia (bluegill type fish) and I caught a ton on fly. I think people chuck bread out for them so anything that slaps the water and sits high gets absolutely smashed! Also just for shits and giggles caught quite a large one yesterday on a very small soft lure. I know the site is only for fly fishing stuff but I want to share the new adventures with you guys! :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BwQhrQME76w/Uu4u6Oz5PwI/AAAAAAAAAmw/2lB9DDRHHb0/s640/blogger-image-1412300131.jpg

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply