It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Threadlining web site
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:34 pm • # 1 

What ever happened to the extreme UL web site? Is it in never, never land ?

Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:05 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I didn't find it in a google search. Maybe the owner closed shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 pm • # 3 

Jeremy ..the last I saw of it the site was taken over by a foreign pharmaceutical group ... It was not destined to last long, very small niche of extreme UL enthusiasts, an interesting concept, but you had to really be a diehard to apply some of their thinking and applications ....I was kinda surprised the fella who admin it was a pretty progressive guy, not like him to just bail out ....OH well life goes on !!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Paul, forums are hard to get up and running these days. Participation is down overall with the exception of a few of the bigger ones. Facebook fishing pages have cut into forum traffic among other things. While threadlining probably has it's place, just think about the average UL Spinning enthusiast, and the fact that the overwhelming number of them have never even heard of the threadlining concept. Most spin fishermen, you know, the average bait dunker at the local lake (pick one anywhere in the country) and they aren't likely to invest much in tackle or gear. For many of them, all they need is $30 wal-mart combo, and that works well enough to satisfy most.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 pm • # 5 

Very true re the interest from spin fishermen, I would have never heard of it
Until I was introduced to" pictorial absurdities " by Joe Robinson ..my interest was
In the Gary Loomis copy of his combo fly/spin rod which I own two of, I like the moderate to fast flex of the 6'o 2 piece offering, ( yea I know Jeremy u don't like any TFO rods, no need to go there, we all have different likes in rod actions and feel ) couple of years ago GPearow built a 5'o 3 piece combo fly/spin on a tiger eye blank, now one of my favorite UL rods, it will cast a 1-4 weight line no problem at all ....not many good combo rods made if any, therefore not much discussion on the usefulness of the rod .....

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:28 pm • # 6 

I used to be a spin fisherman who wanted to go the UL route and never even heard of this concept till now. I have read a couple articles using fly rod blanks for spinning rods and have built a few. I will have to look into this concept to see what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:43 pm • # 7 

Scorpion1971 ... If you can aquired "pictorial Absurdities " by Joe Robinson
It should answer all your questions regarding extreme UL fishing, as I reflected in a previous post, interesting concept, rods, reels, lines, but IMHO very difficult in an everyday application, you can make some modifications to their thinking but there are some purists who just fish by the book, not many, but a few ....

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 pm • # 8 

Jeremy ... Regarding forums participations being down, the good informative no
Nonsense political crap web sites are doing just fine, the fly fishing ones that I participate in, in most cases is a reflection of the owner who isn't on an ego trip who in fact knows who his or her core membership are and protects them from newbie non productive confrontation junk ...there are a few out there, the others will die a slow death ..... My .02 cents

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:48 am • # 9 

when brim are in deeper water, say 9 foot plus, I use my ul spin gear to find them because its so much quicker than waiting for the sink line to get to that depth. Threadlining gave me a lot of good useful information on how to-p-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:40 am • # 10 

Gene, I agree totally, there were some really learned extreme fly rodders
Who posted on that site ... Did ya ever read Joe Robinsons book ? That
Web site is the reason I asked you to build that combo fly/spin of which I spoke for me...my favorite UL and go to rod .... Shame the site bit the dust, Greg Vows was a heady guy, used to converse with him on occasion .....

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 pm • # 11 

I was out fishing Lake Austin this last weekend and ran into Joe Robinson out on his kickboat. I took my first fly-casting lesson from him over 20 years ago. Chatted with him a bit about UL, since nothing was biting (recent rains?). He showed me is outfit (8x, 2lb test, maybe) and his lure (what appeared to be a micro double-bunny 1/32oz jig with a nice mono weedguard).

I went home, tied up a few 1/64oz jigs i had handy, re-lined my UL spin rod with some 7x 3lb test, and promptly lost several said jigs, quite easily, in the weeds and structure. It's nice how well it casts, and how quickly the jig sinks like a rock, but I also quickly realized how easy it was to break-off. DUH. I was shallow shore fishing, and really needed to be working more vertically to properly prevent hangups.

The double-bunny jig has devastating action on both brim, and was surprisingly effective with RGC's given the jigs are so large (#10?). Have a 6' St Croix UL spin, but it feels so dang short, compared to the 7-8' UL fly rods I use 90% of the time. Really want a longer UL spin rod. Considering slapping a spin reel on my 11' ESN, or SPL 080 or 373 just to see how they would work spin-jigging.

Joe has a seriously-subtle wrist-flip-launch move that results in impressive, rail-gun-like casts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxWurslYxk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Weightforward, I deleted the mis-post for you.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply