It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Common Myths
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:01 am • # 1 

Hey, let's list common myths that are prevalent about ultralight tackle.

Light lines kill fish.

Light tippets kill fish.

Light rods are wimpy.

All three of these are often used in conjunction with each other. The rebuttal that I use when people tell me these is: Do you know how to fight a fish
properly? If they say yes, I watch them fish. When they hook a fish and stick the rod straight up, I look at them and tell them, no you don't. To apply
maximum pressure, you have to use your rod for what it is meant to do. The butt of the rod is where you fight the fish. The soft tip is for tippet protection,
and the midsection transfers power up and down the blank from tip to butt and vice versa. Use side pressure with the fish on the reel, and you can break a big
fish quicker than you can with the rod vertical.

What are some of the comments you have heard when you pull out a one or two weight fly rod and everyone else is fishing a 5wt or heavier?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 am • # 2 

flyflingerandy1 wrote:

Light lines kill fish.

Light tippets kill fish.

Light rods are wimpy.

All three of these are often used in conjunction with each other. The rebuttal that I use when people tell me these is: Do you know how to fight a fish properly? If they say yes, I watch them fish. When they hook a fish and stick the rod straight up, I look at them and tell them, no you don't. To apply maximum pressure, you have to use your rod for what it is meant to do. The butt of the rod is where you fight the fish. The soft tip is for tippet protection, and the midsection transfers power up and down the blank from tip to butt and vice versa. Use side pressure with the fish on the reel, and you can break a big fish quicker than you can with the rod vertical.
That "vertical rod" stuff may look pretty on TV, but those guys don't PAY for their rods either. It's a quick recipe to adding another "piece" to the rod you're fishing....as in breaking it.
Mikey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:29 am • # 3 

flyflingerandy1 wrote:

Light lines kill fish.

Light tippets kill fish.

Light rods are wimpy.

All three of these are often used in conjunction with each other. The rebuttal that I use when people tell me these is: Do you know how to fight a fish properly? If they say yes, I watch them fish. When they hook a fish and stick the rod straight up, I look at them and tell them, no you don't. To apply maximum pressure, you have to use your rod for what it is meant to do. The butt of the rod is where you fight the fish. The soft tip is for tippet protection, and the midsection transfers power up and down the blank from tip to butt and vice versa. Use side pressure with the fish on the reel, and you can break a big fish quicker than you can with the rod vertical.
You da man! I couldn't have said it better!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:32 am • # 4 
Good post. Side pressure makes it alot easier. I'm amazed at the Nascar style of bass spin fishing. Especially when the guys get on stage and hold the fish over their heads as the crowd goes bonkers..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 am • # 5 

I am amazed that more of those fish on TV don't have their lips ripped off with the hooksets. There just is no need for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:38 am • # 6 

Actually, in my flyfishing career I've never heard first-hand any of the comments, laments, put-downs, myths, etc. about ultralite. All the places I fish have spin and cast anglers and I get "wows" and qustions; wow, man you're having a great day, what are you using? And then, we launch into a discourse and I've mad some converts to fly. And, occasionally there's another fly angler at my go-to lake with that unspoken acknowledgement!

The only myths and condescending statements I've heard or read have been on fly fishing bulletin boards (and you know which ones) by "experts" who've been fly fishing since "last Thursday!"

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:31 am • # 7 

Everyone has their own thoughts, but more often than not, rather than fishing the gear they like best, they fish what is in vogue right now, and follow the statements that are in vogue right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:24 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Well if you look back to the past, and many of you know this already, but ultralight rods in the past were 4 and 5wt rods. Most glass and bamboo rods were 6 and 7wts.
When graphite became the material of choice for manufactures, that's when they started to push the envelope with light lines. I have no clue who came out with the first 3wt rod, but Orvis was the first I believe to have a 2wt and a 1wt in their lineup. They kind of let the ball drop for a few years, and dropped the 1wt, and Sage picked up the ball and ran with it.
Having said that, heavier line weights have always been the norm. At one time that's all that was available. Change is hard for some folks.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:27 pm • # 9 

J, Orvis only dropped the one weight for one year, that was 2007. They have had a 2wt since the mid 80s, and the one weight since a year or two later. I don't know why they have not gone after making an 0wt or what have you, but if you want to ask, call Jim West (designer of the Superfine line), as he still works in the rod shop every day. I have spoken to him and he is a heck of a nice guy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:44 pm • # 10 

I've taken 24 inch Thompson River Rainbows on a 3-wt with no problem, and 18 inch cutthroat with a 000-wt with no problem. You can horse these fish with an ultralight just like you can overplay them with a 5-wt. It's not the rod you use, it's how you use it. I know peoiple who've deliberately fished for and landed Steelhead and Coho on a 000-wt.

...and I can still cast further with the 000-wt than many people can with a 5-wt!!!!

Ultralight rods are not toys, they are serious pieces of fishing equipment.

Last edited by Highlander on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 pm • # 11 

Highlander! You are a chip off the ole UL block!

Thank you for posting that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Highlander,
I would sure like to see some of those feats. That sounds like fun.
Les

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:54 pm • # 13 

I like 2-wts; I own four. In the past six months I've had four pretty good fish on a 2-wt. One was an estimated 15# or so monster of a grass carp that powered off and out ran the spool on my Lamson LP-1 breaking the tippet. On the same trip I handled a 7# estimated grass carp on the T&T Horizon 280 that broke the tippet when my son-in-law attempted to hand land the fish. A 3 pound plus largemouth that took a #10 mohair leech weighted on my Bogagrip, photographed and released to grow up. Last Monday another grass carp that weighed in a 3# plus on my Bogagrip, photographed and released none the worst for wear., taken on a #14 mohair/rubber leg emerger type fly.

I have changed one thing since I began hooking some larger fish and that was investing in a wide arbor Lamson Litespeed 1 reel for my Sage XP286. A smooth wide arbor reel is a huge asset to fighting big fish on light tackle. One thing I found about this Lamson Litespeed when this grass carp powered off, is that it can be palmed easily...I like palming a reel. :)

A 3# grass carp taken in public water.

A 3# largemouth.

Last edited by chunting on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:00 pm • # 14 

One other thing. I believe fish up to three pounds or so can be handled on a 2-wt and 6 pound tippet in a reasonable amount of time. Since I've not had any experience to speak of on fish larger, I don't know the line between manageable and un-manageable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:23 pm • # 15 

I am headed to to CO this week and look to put my 3wt to the test in and around Estes Park

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:37 pm • # 16 

Myth:
A spin rod will out fish a fly rod!!
I have "de funked" that old silly myth! I always catch a lot more than my spin rod buddies even when they use live bait!

It's not the flies I tie, it's the moves I make while fishing! Years of experience, and every movement is a wonderful thing!
A perfect cast and a perfect presentation is a beautiful thing!

Stay thirsty my friends

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply