It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:00 pm • # 61 
Administrator

flyflingerandy1 wrote:
I threw a 9' 5wt TiCr, and while comfortable on LONG casts, was abysmal under fifty feet.
Andy, I just checked the TFO website and they specifically advertise the TiCr as being designed for longer casts:
"Lefty designed this series for performance. Fast, powerful and smooth, these rods will deliver a fly with distance and accuracy limited only by the angler's skills."[/quote]And the Finesse series for more of the type of casting we do:
"These are the ideal rods for meadow streams, limestone creeks, and spring creeks. At short to medium distances, Lefty Kreh Finesse rods cast effortlessly"[/quote]I've never cast a Finesse so I don't know how accurate this is, but I did read a writeup from Yellowstone Angler where they said the Finesse 9' 5wt was a pretty decent rod:

"This rod took me by surprise. It cast a lot different and a lot better than all the other TFO rods. A pleasant surprise indeed.

It was awesome up close (9/10) and fun to cast. When I started reaching out past 35 feet however, there was a noticeable decrease of power compared to other rods."[/quote]Sounds like TFO is at least trying to upfront about intended uses for each model of rod.

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:27 am • # 62 
Administrator

I wasn't saying that the entire line of TFO rods are stiff as a broomstick. I have said that the Finesse series rods are medium action and are rated more or less correctly for line weight. Now I don't like the 7'9" 3wt Finesse at all, it has some really bad tip bounce. The 7'9" 4wt Finesse is a nicer casting rod. Both the salesmen at the fly shop pretty much say the same thing, and both are certified casting instructors.
TFO isn't the only company that under rates their rods, Sage, Loomis, Scott, Gatti, you name it, they do it. It's getting harder to find decent rods that actually fish well. Rod tapers that are based on distance casting tournament tapers are not fishing rods, nor are they fun to fish. TFO gets brought up because of all the hype they get.
That hype is pretty much based on price point, not necessarily on fishability.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:06 am • # 63 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
I wasn't saying that the entire line of TFO rods are stiff as a broomstick.

Hi J, sorry if I mis-characterized your TFO views. I just thought they were getting slammed pretty good, and I've cast a lot of rods that cost a lot more and felt a lot worse. But then again, I've only cast the two TFO rods.

I guess I haven't noticed the hype for TFO being much different than the others, but I really haven't been paying attention. I do tend to veer away from any model of rod that is advertised as being great for distance, because like you and Andy, I don't think they're a lot of fun to cast. I've had 2 Loomis rods that were that way. They cast beautifully and could really zing a line out there, but were no fun with a fish on, and I had to overline both. I didn't keep either rod for long.

Regards,

Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:35 am • # 64 

onemoredeer wrote:

If at all possible:

1. Test cast the rod (or finished blank) before you buy.

2. Talk to others (as many as possible) before you buy

3. Visit this board often for honest opinions Image

Doug

#1 is impossible for me. I don't know anyone around with a rod built on the Dan Craft 6'10 1wt blank or the TFO Finesse 1 wt either.

So I'll be making a purchasing decision based upon #2 and #3. You guys have definately swayed my opinion towards the Dan Craft blank. (I've never cast a TFO rod - just wriggled them in shops.)

Thanks for a very good discussion.

David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:46 pm • # 65 

No manufacturer bashing here. For the most part, I think they try to provide a good product but I do think they get caught up in their own hype about rods.
"Our rods will cast a line a mile with pinpoint accuracy and they're so fast they set your hair on fire. Buy our rods and you will be an instant flyfisher extraordinaire and you can tell all your buddies it cost you a zillion dollars."
I think we all get caught up in the promise of "instant gratification" and fall prey to some of the hype. TFO has done a good job at keeping the industry honest by providing a good product at a reasonable price. They have some pretty good cosmetics and have raised the bar for mid-priced rods. Just look at what Sage, Winston and Loomis have done with their lineups. They have started producing more entry and mid level rods instead of just the high end stuff. I wish they would all adhere to an industry standard rating system and do a better job of rod to rod consistency. I don't exactly live in a fly fishing mecca so most of my purchases are done online and I must rely on opinions of those who like the same type and action of rod that I do. That's why I enjoy this and other boards that I frequent, the free and honest exchange of information.

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:28 pm • # 66 

I read this thread and I have to wonder how much is a justification of a bunch of high priced rods and reels! Or worse, how many are selling there own rods!
I have a 2# and 4# TFO Finesse with little Ozuma reels on each. I would only use the 2 weight if wind or large bass weren't a concern. I fish mostly rivers and small lakes formed by weirs (sp) on these. I can cast 30+, but it's not usally necessary.
A typical day of 4 hours fishing will often produce around 50 fish.
I never seem to remember how beautiful the loop of a cast was, but I do remember the fish sucking in the fly and the wonderful feeling of the fight on a buggywhip.

Just my 2 cents
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:40 pm • # 67 

I feel that the industry as a whole has gravitated towards distance casting becoming more important that fishability. I do not like this, but that is how the industry is selling rods right now. You can cast a mile on some superduperfastohmygodlookatthatdistance rod, but you can't cast twenty feet. That is what my problem is with how rods are rated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:11 pm • # 68 
Administrator

I think they're also trying to maintain the same casting characteristics and sensitivity while reducing the weight of the rod blank. That's an area where I don't mind spending extra $$$. The lighter the rod the better (talking the actual physical weight of the rod--not line rating). I understand that not everyone shares my zeal. :-)

It seems like a lot of the high-end companies have 2 or 3 models, and attempt to differentiate between the fast/distance rods and "classic" action premium rods, although I think you're correct in that the new/fast/distance stuff is what they advertise the most.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:44 pm • # 69 

Regardless of what Cabela's catalog pages say, the LST 2wt is a mid flex rod. It is not a fast rod, and it is a smooth performer! I wish the rod companies would advertise their rods successfully, as well as mark the rods for the correct line weights.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:37 am • # 70 

Admittedly not as ultralight as some modern rod/reel combos, but I'd have to keep this little "vintage" ultralight outfit - a San Francisco Scott F70 with a small Young Pridex spooled with a DT3 line.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:51 am • # 71 
Administrator

Hey Duff,
Good to see you here. That Scott is nice vintage rod, and the Pridex really sets if off. I assume that's a seven footer?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 pm • # 72 

That is one sweet combo Duff. Glad to see you made it over. Hope you hang around and post more pics of cool vintage gear. I'm a sucker for those Young reels.

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm • # 73 

Thanks for the welcome, guys. This is a really great new site. Yes, that Scott is a seven footer for a 3/4 line. Those early rods are a little tip heavy and I had fishing it for years with a Featherweight loaded with a WF4. The addition of the chunky little Pridex and DT3 really changed the personality of the rod. It's now nicely balanced and seems a much sweeter rod.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 am • # 74 

I guess that is a 3" Young? That setup has seen some fish in its lifetime and could certainly tell some stories!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:16 am • # 75 

Right, Andy, it is a 3" Pridex with a brass Young Pfoot that was changed to LHW and serviced by Bulldog. It's certainly one of my favorite reels now - there's just something special about those old Young reels.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:54 am • # 76 
Administrator

Duff,
I have a few which Bulldog serviced and they now sing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 pm • # 77 

I'm late to the show on this thread but I'd thought I'd wade in, if it's not too late. I don't have a big budget for fly rods and reels yet but of the few rods and reels that I do own, I probably like my 7ft, 3wt Eagle Claw Granger XG rod match up with a vintage Horrocks and Ibbotson Sportcraft 60 reel the best at present. The pair knocked me back a whole $50 a couple of years ago. It's been great for the small creek fishing I do, but my Cabela's Clear Creek 7ft, 1wt is very close behind!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 am • # 78 
Administrator

Dave,
the clear creek is a very nice rod for the money -too bad they're gone. I've got mine and I like it a lot for the waters I fish.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:48 am • # 79 
Mine is a 6'6" 5pc .2# that I built with a Cortland graphite reel. Cost under 100 bucks.you gotta love Ebay well sometimes.

David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:22 pm • # 80 

The first fly rod I owned was a TFO Professional 7'6" 3wt. My first fish caught fly fishing was with this rod. I fished this rod exclusively for about a year before buying another fly rod. Fast forward to 6 months ago and 10 rods later (3 Sage TXLs). I have narrowed down one company and group Sage TXL. I guess a 1wt or 2wt would cover 95% of the fishing I do. I do own some sub $100 rods that are a lot of fun to fish as well but that thats for another topic. As far as the TFO goes I had a family friend say he was intrested in learning to fly fish. I dug out my TFO and dusted it off. The first thing I noticed was how heavy and bulky it had gotten after sitting in my closet for a few years. I put it together and noticed how bulky the grip was and wandered how I ever cast this thing. The crisp action had turned to rubber and it was very unresponsive. I almost felt bad giveing that rod away. Image In reality it was the same rod I fished for a year stright and loved and renewed my passion for fishing. I had gotten spoiled, TXLs will do that to you. I bought my father a Cabelas Clear Creek 1wt. for christmas and he loves it. I got a chance to fish it and I hate it. My dad dosen't own any high end rods. The conclusion I came to is, ignorance is bliss. We are happy with what we have untill we learn about somthing better. I fished for a few years happy to buy store bought flies. I started tieing and was happy with a stationary vice, now that I have a rotary I don't know how I ever used the old one. I think that TXLs are the best ULs. I'm sure when I learn to wrap my own rods I will wander how I ever put up with a factory rod. The TFO 3wt. is ok for a starter rod, just a bit over priced for what you get.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply