It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 91 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Favorite light reel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 am • # 41 
Administrator

I wish I had a chance to use the drag more often, but while fishing warm water it's pretty rare for me. Most of the bass I hook seem to tug a bit and dive straight for nearby weeds. The brim turn sideways and just kind of plane back and forth. I'd have to guess that probably 95% of the fish I land never even make it onto the reel--especially this time of year when I'm fishing below the surface and doing long retrieves.

I still like having a reel with a nice smooth drag though--maybe it's just the optimist in me thinking one day I'll hook a big one that's going to make a run :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:51 am • # 42 

You will lose a lot of fish trying to "get them on the reel". If a fish doesn't run hard or far enough to take up the slack, fogitaboutit. Roughly, a 5+ pound fish. This means a click to prevent overrun is all you need. Come to think about it, the click will serve up to about 10 pounds, even on the reel. Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:03 am • # 43 
Administrator

I've landed a few cats in the 10 lbs. range with nothing more than my Orvis Battenkill 2/4 clicker. Yes the cats did take line, but the clicker was all that was needed to keep them from running up the creek. Any reel that has rim control is good too, many folks don't even know to use the rim. You can stop a big fish dead in it's tracks with pressure on the rim. Who needs a disk drag anyway?

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 am • # 44 

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' DRAG!!!!! Image

I may be showing my lack of experience and "newbie-ness" to fly fishing when I say that I have NEVER put a fish 'on the reel." The large mouth in my avatar went a shade over 5 pounds and I've cought a couple of catfish in the 7 - 8 pound range that were all played with careful attention to hand pressure playing out or taking in line.

Once last fall, I took my little Echo 3wt out to fish the local creek...and mistakenly brought along the wrong reel. So my options were to either go home and not fish, or put the reel in my shorts hip pocket and cast away. Needless to say I didn't go home until after I had spent a very enjoyable afternoon catching my fill of gills, rock bass and sunnies.

Still.......a disk drag is "cool"....and c'mon - it's soooooo hard to resist the hype (I'm almost as guilty as the next guy!).

David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am • # 45 
Administrator

Quote:
You will lose a lot of fish trying to "get them on the reel". If a fish doesn't run hard or far enough to take up the slack, fogitaboutit.
Yeah, I never try to get a fish on the reel unless he's already taken all my loose line, and I can't recall losing a fish because of my drag or lack of it. I have however, lost them when my loose line snags on my nippers or I happen to be standing on it. Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:41 am • # 46 

You forget the "Captain Ahab" manuever when a line loops around your leg. Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 pm • # 47 

Hi David, the little Martin tuna can 61 reels weigh in between 2.7 and 2.9 ounches. You can make a cork arbor out of grip stock or just about anything cork if you want to reduce the backing. Personally I like at least 120 yards of backing. I have several such reels, an old parts reel with no clicker just for spooling line onto backwards. I put my tippet, leader, line and then start loading backing When Im close to a full spool I cut the backing, attach it to the reel I want to load it too and start cranking it back onto the user.
Never had a problem with any of the little tuna cans. For 1-3wts and 1-2 pound tippets they are wonderful. Although on longer rods like the 8ft plus ones they are so light you have to choke back onto the reel to balance. On short rods like my little 6ft and 6 1/2fters they balance perfectly.
Get two so you can use one as a spooling tool and your gonna be way happy. My fancy reels get little use these days, haven't figured out how you would adjust the disc drag while fighitng a fish or snapping a tippet. Perhaps a two man crew to fish UL? best I can figure you would need at least one extra hand to adjust the drag while your playing the fish. On the other had given enough backing your gonna have a ball playing even the smallest trout or gill.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 am • # 48 

Richard, if I remember correctly from Kevin's Martin manual over on the glass board, the only Tuna Can that is sub-3oz, is the MG-3. The 60-63 are all from 3-3.5oz depending upon model. They are great reels!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:09 pm • # 49 

I am new to this forum,

Recently I started making a small run of 5/6wt titanium reels and I came across this ULA forum.

Is there a few that would like an UL version?

Because of the design, I can scale up or down to any size.

This material is so incredibly strong - I am sure I can get the weight down close or even below.

A question:

Are the "feet" dimensions different in the UL sizes?

Thanks

Titan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:24 pm • # 50 

Hey Titan, welcome, and we hope to see you around the forums!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:55 pm • # 51 

Thanks Andy!

Where can I find the UL feet dimensions?

Thanks again,

Titan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:41 pm • # 52 

The dimensions are the same as they are on a standard fly reel. The reel seats are identical, but the other parts of the reels are smaller.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:46 pm • # 53 
Administrator

Titan,
I don't know how different te UL reel feet would be as most people have reels on both rings and up/downlocking models. Perhaps one of the other manufactured sites have some specs or Don will come along with some thoughts.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:56 pm • # 54 
Administrator

Struble makes at least two different diameter reel seats--one designed for lighter rods, and then a larger size. The safest bet might be to measure a few reel seats on light rods, or go to a flyshop and measure some light reels. The length and width would be easy--I think the harder part to measure would be the curve in the bottom of the foot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:57 pm • # 55 

Titan.......

I'd love to see a picture of your work.....

David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:16 pm • # 56 

First one... Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:32 pm • # 57 

nice...price list????

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm • # 58 

Naw Andy, the tuna can 61 on a postal scale dry no line or backing varies between 2.7 oz for my older copper colored one to just a bit over 2.9 oz for an american made black one. The never ones with a decal saying Martin 61 on the front face of the spool feel much heavier though. That must be the ones your thinking of, I stay away from them. Same holds true for the 62 and 63 models, they are a bit heavier too, although they both have hardy style spool release buttons, the older 61's you need to use a screwdriver to release the nut on the spool.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:37 am • # 59 

Ok...I will have to check for some of those older tuna cans. I know on the 60s you have a coin slot spool release.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:25 pm • # 60 

Hi Andy, yea the older they are (as you say coin slotted spool release nut) the lighter they are. Guess the tuna cans were lighter back then. Also I noticed the foot materal is thinner on the old ones and the rivets too. I don't know where the newests 61's were made but Ive seen them, they are quite a bit heavier than my old ones.
The 60s are even smaller, but rarely seen in early models. Think they were a 2 1/2 inch model. Frankly I started buying them just for fun, I wanted something with no adjustable drag for my attempts at using UL tippets. I was pleasantly surprised, and have three users and one spooler parts reel so far. They are totally dedicated to my Orvis One and Two weight rods. Great fun and really trouble free. Buy as near to NOS as you can, clean them completely and use a really good modern grease and you will never have a problem. You wont break a tippet again because of the reel either!
Richard

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 91 posts ] New Topic Add Reply