It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 1 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: The Frugal Fly fisherman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:38 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Gene AKA Pearow is a well-known Jack-of-all-trades and master of the sublime. He's come up with some ingenious ways to create ancillary fly fishing items- most of which cost a small fortune at full retail. On another forum he came up with a remarkable solution to a stripping basket. He bought a small plastic laundry basket from the dollar store and with a few tie down straps and one larger plastic strap for a belt, he created a one-of-kind basket for a song.
Tell us your story. Do you have a creation of your own that saves money or time?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:36 am • # 2 

Well, Thank you Les; Being frugal is the mark of a cheapskate, or a poor man, and I must confess while I was in the Dollar store looking for the makings of my high dollar, one of a kind, baby blue stripping basket, I came across an even better deal for the frugal at heart; REEL COVERS. Yes, thats right!! You can find them in the dollar store, and much cheeper than Orvis or even Bass pro. You can get these little kid gloves for $1 for 2 (TWO) pair. And, not only do they make reel nice covers, but if your hands get cold you can use them for their primary purpose. When your fishing buddy sees them he'l wreck the pickup trying to get to the store before the cold hand kids get em all. (high dollar stripping basket is in the background.(sorry for the poor pic)

Last edited by pearow on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 am • # 3 

I need a stripping basket badly, so that might be one of my next endeavors. I am tired of stepping on line.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:54 am • # 4 

had another brain storm; these gloves come one pair of gloves with fingers and one pair of mittens; use the 2 mittens for reel covers and give the other pair to your brothers meanest kid as a Christmas present. Two reel covers and a Christmas present for $1. That will put you at the ZEN level of FRUGALNESS.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:39 pm • # 5 
Global Moderator

Man, and I thought I have it bad making a spool holder out of an old shoe string and pen... well I guess I still do have it bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 pm • # 6 

I've done the laundry stripping basket too. Works great. Here's another one I use a lot. Go to home depot and get one of those big orange reels for extention cords. Then get one of those foam water noodle things that kids play with in the pool. Cut the noodle to fit inside the holes in the reel and it makes a great line winder for cleaning / changing fly lines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:11 pm • # 7 

If your looking for a shoulder bag on the cheap, I found these on another board.

The first bag is the same as the second bag but still has the cover still on it:

http://www.armynavydeals....ls.asp?SKU=BG212&ST=2

The second bag has the outside cover already removed if you prefer it that way:

http://www.armynavydeals....ls.asp?SKU=BG268&ST=2

You can read the reviews and comments about the bag from those that have ordered the bag here:

http://fiberglassflyrodde...uku.com?topic=6957?page=1

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:20 pm • # 8 
Great idea. I cut up old mouse pads and saftey pin them to my vest for fly patches

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:54 am • # 9 
Administrator

Brian,
I like that one about the mousepad patches. Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:57 am • # 10 

I have an old leather pouch that I received from my father when I was young, and I use it to carry a reel in, when the reel does not have a bag.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:06 am • # 11 
Administrator

Andy,
That's what I'm talking about too. It's not always about taking a new item and cutting it down or modifying it to meet our needs. Cigar boxes have different uses and the list continues.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 am • # 12 
Administrator

Yep, I can attest to Gene being very industrious. He certainly does come up with some wonderful ideas.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:41 am • # 13 

have two wooden ammunition boxes I got for $9.00. THey measure 36" long by 10" deep and 5" high. I keep my reel boxes, lines spools and other items in them. The rough wood looks a bit neat as well.

I found a leather pouch for golf balls and tees. It is perfect for a reel and spare spool. I wish I could find another.

Keep your dull tying scissors - the tips might be dull but you can usually us the rest of the scissors for cutting ribbing wire and such.

I found a length of felt in a closet at work. It had been there for many years. I sized and cut it for reel sacks. To make the sacks I glued the edges together with Tacky Glue. Works great and I have a bunch of free reel bags.

The $1.00 bottle of nail polish from RiteAid is a super head cement, cheaper than Sally Hanson's by a couple bucks.

Use sewing thread to build the underbody of a fly. Worried about the stuff wicking, just coat with nail polish, then wrap the dubbing or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 am • # 14 

I don't partake of adult beverages, but I have friends that enjoy Crown. I ask them for the Royal Purple bags that the bottles come in. They make great bags for reels and personal items like the cell phone and wallet. I particularly like the smaller Crown Royal bags for my reels and my fishing lanyard. Super soft for my anal-no-scratch mentalityImage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:24 am • # 15 

Film canisters (get 'em free at the developing center at Walmart, etc)...

1) Poke a hole in the lid, pack with steel wool for cleaning bodkins.
2) Hole in the bottom, elastic cord with a clip on one end, other end knotted inside canister bottom. Cut an X in the lid & it's a great container for cig butts, tippet scraps, candy wrappers, etc.
3) Make fine small "pocket fly boxes"
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:25 am • # 16 
I take heavier square refrigerator magents and stick them insice altoids containers poke two holes in the top and make a loop from some old fly line. This is the fly box I use in the summer and I attach the hook on my laynard to the flyline loop the magnet will hold flies in place pretty well.. I have so many altoid fly boxes now... fly box refill foam works good or even the old mouse pads. I even bought a bunch of silver ones from a craft place which look rather classy
http://www.papermart.com/templates/65-1-70.htm
...They fit in your shirt pocket and work great when you just want to get out and travel light.
Janus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:12 pm • # 17 
Global Moderator

man everyone seems pretty good with there saving items. does that mean fly fishermen are green?!
Anyone want to find me a cheap way to make an extended handle for my renzetti vise, making rotary a little easier ;]
Also if you go to michaels or jo ann fabrics with the wife or girlfriend (gotta have an excuse) check out in the bead section the bead holders. they have one that is aluminum and comes with about fifteen containers. When I am using the tin for holding other things, I put my dubbing into these little containers. Also, if you still have an old non ceramic bobbin, buy some small beads, and glue them to the tips of the bobbin, and essentially you have saved yourself a few bucks to spend on tying materials.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:57 pm • # 18 

Maybe green...but definitely cheap! My fav shop for fly tying materials is Hobby Lobby.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:26 pm • # 19 

I tried the beads in the end of my bobbin but couldn't keep em on; what glue did you use?

Hey, If you deer hunt your high caliber shells come in a box with two plastic bulletholders inside holding 10 shells each. Several years ago I took those two little plastic 30-06 holders glued them together, then glued them on a small piece of scrap lumber. Its where i keep my bobbins; I have about 7-8 bobbins threaded up so that i can change colors, size, etc without having to change out the thread; and i never have to look for a bobbin-p-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 pm • # 20 
Global Moderator

pearow, I used a 5 minute epoxy, put some on the bottom side of the bead where it will be sitting on the bobbin, and then put some around the outside, so it it holding to the bobbin and the bead.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 1 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply