It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 2 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: The Frugal Fly fisherman
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:41 am • # 21 

thats what I did wrong; didnt put some around the outside; thanks a heap-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:05 am • # 22 

I use the clear plastic boxes that electrical tape comes in for fly boxes, some foam or a magnet glued in bottom. For bead head and weighted flies no need for foam.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 am • # 23 
Administrator

pkrotine wrote:
Anyone want to find me a cheap way to make an extended handle for my renzetti vise, making rotary a little easier ;]
I can probably turn something on the lathe that would work. I have a renzetti traveler--does your renzetti the same size handle? If it does I can test fit using my vise. How much longer would you want it.

Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:59 am • # 24 
Global Moderator

jdub wrote:
pkrotine wrote:
Anyone want to find me a cheap way to make an extended handle for my renzetti vise, making rotary a little easier ;]
I can probably turn something on the lathe that would work. I have a renzetti traveler--does your renzetti the same size handle? If it does I can test fit using my vise. How much longer would you want it.

Jerry

Jerry, thanks for the reply,
its not a matter of making it longer, I actually like the length, but making an extension that juts out 90* from the handle making it easier to use the rotary function. I would assume it has the same size handle. I just got mine this summer, and I don't think they have made any drastic changes in two or three years if I am correct.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:29 pm • # 25 

pkrotine wrote:
jdub wrote:
pkrotine wrote:

Jerry

its not a matter of making it longer, I actually like the length, but making an extension that juts out 90* from the handle making it easier to use the rotary function. I would assume it has the same size handle. I just got mine this summer, and I don't think they have made any drastic changes in two or three years if I am correct.
Why not just buy some fairly stout plastic tubing with the correct inside diameter, heat it & bend it....cool it so it stiffens. That way, you could slip it on & off as needed. Should be able to find the stuff at one (or more) of these...hobby shop, independent hardware, plumbing supply, or (maybe best suggestion) automobile or mower supply.
Mikey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:47 pm • # 26 
Administrator

pkrotine wrote:
Ah, I understand now. I probably can't help then--I can't turn stuff with a 90 degree bend in it ;-) but I like ohiotuber's idea.

I hadn't thought about this kind of extension but it really would be nice. I use the rotary feature quite a bit--for dubbing, wrapping chenille, etc. I'll see if I can come up with other ideas on how to implement it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:23 am • # 27 
Administrator

Here's another idea. Some you you may have attended trade shows or or have access to retractable ID badge holders. In my business I have a bunch of these and some have pin or bulldog attachments- either work fine. These are great for nippers or forceps, you name it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:03 am • # 28 

Les, that is what I have my nippers and forceps on!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 am • # 29 
Administrator

All,
Gene (pearow) created an inexpensive wooden line winder which he sold 5 as part of a fund raiser for the Lower Mountain Fork Foundation. It was small -approximately 5-6" wide- and had a simple crank handle, dowels, and two octagonal end plates. Although I don't have a photo yet, I can attest to the usefulness of the line winder.

To begin with, I placed an older green 5 wt level line in the line clamp and wound the line on as evenly as possible; following this, I took my wife's hair dryer and kept and steady flow of hot air on the line for a couple of minutes and left it to cool off.

Later I came back to clean the line and as I pulled line off the winder the tighter coils were gone- there seemed to be no memory. The Zip cast left the line with a nice finish. In a few posts on another site, Gene had also mentioned that leaving the line on the winder in the sun to warm up will achieve similar results : straightening kinks out.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:59 am • # 30 

Hey Gene...........How about some pics of the line winder?????????????

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 pm • # 31 

found a couple of pics-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:06 pm • # 32 

Very cool Gene!!!! I really like the reel handle for a crank. I see one of these in my future. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us tightwads.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:11 pm • # 33 

that reel handle is of some ole spincast reel from a garage sale; notice i had a dowel that i knocked around with my finger til i put on the reel handle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:13 pm • # 34 

Talk about cheap! check out this deal I just ordered another spool of 00wt line for under $17
http://www.sierratradingp...ouble-Taper-Floating.html

Pretty sweet deal thought I'd share.

Justin

Last edited by oowt on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 pm • # 35 
Administrator

That's hard to beat- fits into the Frugal part of fly fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 am • # 36 

okay; I'm going for the FRUGAL HALL OF FAME here; this is the stuff they like to talk about around the campfire:
You know how you are getting ready to tie bead head buggers and the little beads roll off the table and your long sleeve shirts rake the little hooks off on the floor, and you have to get on your knees with a flash light to find them? Been in that situation? Well, you can take the bottom of a drink can, when you cut it up to make fluttering floozies; it makes the perfect little dish to put your hooks and beads in to keep them off the floor and in one place while tying. Its free, after drinking the contents. Just remember, you heard about it right here first!!! on UL fly fishing; you can't get stuff like this in books!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 am • # 37 

Gene...the drink cans might be a little sticky or have some flavoring residue left over from the soda...that is what was in your can right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:39 pm • # 38 

Pearow, I thought that's what Vienna Sausage cans were for!!!

I have a small fly tying "portable desk" that I put together from leftovers. I added plastic magnetic strips with adhesive on one side to the sides of mine, they hold hooks up and out of the work area very well. Several of my bodkins are nothing more than a piece of dowel with a hole drilled in one end and a needle with Elmers to hold it in place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 am • # 39 

Just a note for those who might be in the market for a new line. Orvis has the following on sale in 1 and 2 weights. The 1 is $20 and the 2 is $25. Have the loop for leader attachment. I've been well pleased with this line in the 2-wt; have two reels spooled with it and a new line in reserve. Too good a bargin for me to pass up. :)

"Wonderline Generation 3 Trout Weight Forward Fly Line"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:19 pm • # 40 
Administrator

Quote:
Orvis has the following on sale in 1 and 2 weights. The 1 is $20 and the 2 is $25.
Thanks for the tip. I have this line in a 1 wt, and now a 3 wt, and I really like the way they cast, although I have to remember to stretch the coils before I start fishing--these lines seem to have more "memory" than my others. This is a great price for some good lines.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next   Page 2 of 6   [ 111 posts ] New Topic Add Reply