It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Favorite Line Brands.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 pm • # 21 

sci. ang mastery series for me. have a couple that are two years old and look and float as well as the day i bought them. like jkurtz, i had two rio lines crack on me within the first few months of use that kind of put me off them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm • # 22 

It was a tough call for me - I voted Scientific Anglers because that's what I like for most of my fishing (trout). In the heavier weights, though (8 weight and spey lines) the Rio Versatips are, well... the cat's meow.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:00 pm • # 23 

jdub wrote:
Sasha wrote:

I have not experienced the coiling issues with any of my Orvis 5wt lines in the cold.

That's interesting Sasha. J, Les and I, along with several other forum members have commented at one time or another about the memory and coiling issues with the Orvis Wonderlines (all generations). I didn't have any issues with their old Silver Label lines coiling but did find them to be a bit sticky.

I still have 3 Orvis Wonderlines that get fished regularly--I just checked and two are Advantage and one is a Power Taper. When it's cold I usually end up pulling 30' of line out and stretching it before I start fishing. During the Spring and Summer I have no problems.

This is the stuff I use on my 5's in olive http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=94GK&dir_id=758&group_id=10657&cat_id=5402&subcat_id=6008

Question though could the fact that I have them on LA reels have anything to do with it? I am on my 3rd Orvis line (I replace them every year) and have not had any issues. I end up fishing my 5 more in the winter than my good rods Image. This is because of my choices of places to fish are limited. I am also mostly nymphing a weighted 3 nymph rig under an indicator. Yes I can do it on my light rods but I don't enjoy it as much. Plus I am a dry fly snob Image

Now I noticed that Orvis no longer makes the DT1F line I had (got rid of it when my red truck order came in). That crap used to pizz me off. When it was cool (i.e. <50F) that junk would coil like a brand new 9' tapered 5X leader fresh out of the package. I had it on my CFO I reel but that should not matter. Come to think of it, it was only slightly better in temps 50-70F. >70F it was pretty good.

I have not had any of those issues with any of my QT DT II or XPS lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 am • # 24 

I have tried a large number of lines on the list, but Rio has so many innovative lines they get my nod. The Windcutter is great on most cane and the only line that works well on a couple of my rods. The Snowbee presentation gets an honorable mention as the longest front taper of any brand. I find it works best on fast action rods and have it on a couple of graphites Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 am • # 25 

I have been using the Cortland Clear Creek lines on my 3 and 5wt graphite rods for about 2 years now and I like them a lot. They cast well and I have never had a problem with coiling. The olive color might turn some folks off, though. However, on my glass rods I use Cortland peach lines. The glass rods just seem to perform and feel better for me with the peach lines for some reason. I don't know why. It could be that, because I started out with the peach lines years ago, I'm just used to them. Still, I haven't found a better line than the Clear Creek for graphite. I can cast very accurately with it and it mends well also.Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 am • # 26 

I voted for Teeny. I don't know if anybody else did. I think my favorite top water lines can fall into many of the companies you listed and it is hard to vote for one. But I have to base my vote for sub surface applications as this kind of fishing can be absolutely impossible to pull off without the right sinking line and no company (atleast I know of) has more selections on sinking lines than Teeny. SA has a great selection but they all seem to be in the same class...not as diverse as Teeny and Teeny lines cast oh so smooth...for a sinking line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:12 am • # 27 
Administrator

Gotta agree on the Cortland Clear Creek lines. Very under rated line. Cortland's only 1wt line is in the Clear Creek series for those who didn't know.

Cortland just came out with a new line called the Whisper Taper. Is goes down to 2wt in both DT & WF. http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=573

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:42 pm • # 28 

I've got quite a selection of fly lines from Rio, SA, Wulff, Orvis, and Cortland. I can't even tell you how many lines I have, but the number is in the dozens from 2wt to 11wt, floating to sinking. Of all the lines I've used I tend to favor the Rio lines because they are good about reporting line mass (even though they aren't quite as transparent as I'd like, but they at least tend to intimate when I line is over AFFTA class guidelines. I also like their tapers a LOT. I could fish Rio lines and be quite happy, from their inexpensive Mainstream to their top of the line product. I love the Sharkskin SA products, but I believe its specialized and not for every application. And I like some of the SA tapers. I LOVE the wulff tapers in the lower line weights, up to about 6, but again this is a floating line only. When I look at the full array of offerings and have to decide on a company that does it right on top, down deep, in the salt or in the fresh I always come back to Rio. It's a close race, but these are my observations thus far.

Joe C.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm • # 29 

fish all kinds of brands. I voted Teeny for the fab sinking and sinktip lines.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:02 pm • # 30 

It would be nice to have a two-fold survey: what is your favorite line, and how strongly do you feel about it? Like I originally said: I chose SA, but Rio was a really close second. If somebody told me I cold only fish Wulff lines (or Cortland, or a few others) for the rest of my life, I'd be ok with that, too. Do any of us have overwhelming brand loyalty to one company?

It seems to me like we have a lot of really good lines to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:06 pm • # 31 
Administrator

For me it's Cortland and Hook & Hackle, which is made by Cortland. Some of the SA lines are okay, but I'm not paying $70.00 for line. After the issues I had with a Rio line a few years ago, I'll never buy one again. Then again they cost too much.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:38 pm • # 32 
Administrator

The good thing about premium lines--Cortland, Rio, SA, etc, is that you can almost always find one of them on clearance and get a $60 line for $25-30.

I'm really surprised that Cortland didn't run away with this poll. For years I *always* bought Cortland and thought everyone else did too. I've had a number of SA lines over the years but always went back to Cortland. It's just been in the last 18 months that I got into Rio lines and liked what I found.

I *really* need to try a Sharkskin--that's one my list of must do things this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 am • # 33 

I voted for hook&hackle, it is a great line and the price is right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:03 pm • # 34 

I have always liked the ivory color Wulff TT lines on my Sage LL rods (279, 389). Have tried some cortland 444 WF and DT and went back to the TT but have not tried any others.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply