It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Favorite Line Brands.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I'm just trying to get a general demographic about line bands. What is your favorite?

j.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:03 am • # 2 
Administrator

Wow, no comments? Rio is in the lead so far. I'd like to hear why you voted they way you did though.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:26 am • # 3 

I really like my SA XPS line, but I voted for the H&H because it is what I use the most. I love the color, it casts very well, and you can't beat the price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am • # 4 

Not enough experience here with the types of different lines....I do like Sylk line, but not always the right line for the job...H&H is a good line that I use also...best bang for the buck...which is important right now....and, I believe is a great line....Both of these lines tied in my poll...since I had to pick one..I picked Sylk....

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 am • # 5 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I like Rio's but I had been working with Airflo lines its been sweet lines except for their sinking/Running line combos. Would like to see Rio make 3wt Clouser line for my poppers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am • # 6 

Rio lines are the only ones I've used that the tip doesn't eventually sink. Floats all day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 am • # 7 
Administrator

My current favorite is Rio as well. The majority of my most used lines are currently the 2nd generation Sage lines but since they're made by Rio I lumped them together. All the Rio/Sage lines I've used have been slick and supple with no coiling problems, and like RDRogers says--"Floats all day." And if you want to slightly overline a rod you can't go wrong with a Rio Grand.

I've owned a couple Corltand Sylk lines recently but decided they weren't quite what I was looking for but my experience with every other Cortland line I've owned has been very good. My list of favorites would go something like this:

Rio/2nd gen Sage
Cortland
H&H
SA/1st gen Sage
Orvis

In that order.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 am • # 8 
Administrator

I voted Rio, but I've used all kinds. I bet many of the vintage lines I own are cortland 333- these are refurbished and cleaned lines from reels I buy off the net.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:34 am • # 9 

We have a lot of SA GTX, but receintly I got a hold of a Rio. IMO it is more supple and as slick as the SA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:35 am • # 10 
Administrator

Hook & Hackle/ Cortland for me. They are supple, cast very well, and I've never had one crack. I had a Rio Nymph taper once and it only lasted two seasons then the coating cracked all over the head portion of the line.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 am • # 11 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
I had a Rio Nymph taper once and it only lasted two seasons then the coating cracked all over the head portion of the line.
J and I have discussed this before. I just don't have multiple seasons on any of my Rio lines so I can't say how they will hold up. I do, however, have some Cortland 444 peach lines that are around 10 years old and still going strong.

Recently I've found most of my line wear is caused by fishing along rocky banks where my lines drag across the rocks or get stepped on. I don't have *any* lines that hold up well to this kind of abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm • # 12 

I chose Sage but I will say this: There are several brads that I like. Yes I like the Sage lines for my 0 and sub 0WT rods. I also like throwing the gen 3 Orvis DT1F on my 0wt rods as well. I like the gen 3 Orvis line on my 5WTs, I like XPS on my 3wt (although I hate the rod). I also find that I like the Rio versa tip line on my 9wt. So in short it was kind of hard for me to vote.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Sasha, have you tried the Sage Performance Taper lines? I have one in a 3 wt and love it! It seems to be a totally different line than the Quiet Taper lines (which I really like too).

I have a couple Orvis lines that cast extremely well--1.5 and 2.5 wt Superfine/Power Tapers or something like that, but they have horrible coiling when it's cold out and they're pretty stiff. Makes me nuts. I think it's telling that Orvis lines haven't received a vote yet. Maybe be should forward the results to Orvis along with some ideas :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:34 pm • # 14 

I have not experienced the coiling issues with any of my Orvis 5wt lines in the cold. On a recent trip (Dec 27th) I was throwing my SPL for part of the day and my ZG the other part. It was cold (23F air temp high) my 5wt line was fine so was my sage owt line. Now the DT 1wt Orvis line coils on my CFO I reel no matter what the **** air temp is. It drives me nuts as well. My solution was to put in on another (larger) reel but that only helped when it was warm.

I have not tried the other Sage line that you mentioned. If I get a new 3wt I will give it a try, right now I am in SPL/SLT purchase mode so I am ignoring all other rod choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm • # 15 

I used to say Rio without hesitation; however, several of the Sharkskin lines have won me over. SA listened to customers and guides about the noise and burned fingers, so late model Sharkskins have a more shallow embossed pattern, but they still have close to no memory, float all day, shoot like the dickens, and mend more easily than any line I've ever fished. Rio's penchant for strange color combo's lately kind of turns me off. One thing that I dislike about a lot of lines, these days, is trend to dark olive colors--my over 50 eyes don't see them well, and I'll bet they silhouette nicely against a light sky from below the surface, not that I've ever lined a fish!
-CC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:04 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:

I have not experienced the coiling issues with any of my Orvis 5wt lines in the cold.

That's interesting Sasha. J, Les and I, along with several other forum members have commented at one time or another about the memory and coiling issues with the Orvis Wonderlines (all generations). I didn't have any issues with their old Silver Label lines coiling but did find them to be a bit sticky.

I still have 3 Orvis Wonderlines that get fished regularly--I just checked and two are Advantage and one is a Power Taper. When it's cold I usually end up pulling 30' of line out and stretching it before I start fishing. During the Spring and Summer I have no problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Jerry,
In the case of Wonderline,I would venture to say that coiling problem will be more pronounced in colder weather conditions.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:21 pm • # 18 
Administrator

keebranch wrote:
Jerry,
In the case of Wonderline,I would venture to say that coiling problem will be more pronounced in colder weather conditions.

Les
Yeah Les, that's why Sasha's post surprised me. He's fishing in very cold conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 pm • # 19 
Administrator

I've never met an Orvis Wonderline that I ever liked. The Silver Label isn't too bad, and the Clearwater is the most supple line they have. Certainly not a bad line for the price.

J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:30 pm • # 20 

I tried the Aquanova lines and they fell apart on me in a few months. I have one Sylk line that fished great the other day in freezing temps. No coils. I don't fish it often enough to really compare it to other lines though. Real silk is the best casting, most limber lines I have ever cast, but they can get water logged in a few hours and they do require a lot of maintenance compared to plastic lines.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply