It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 am • # 21 
Administrator

David Gale wrote:
I might have to test one before I buy.  I'm still putting all the cookie crumbs together I need to buy the Thomas Bamboo of Don's, so that is priority.  However, I am looking for a >7' <8' 4 pc 2/3wt for back packing or just as a good micro nymph/midge rod for Wintertime when I should not be using bamboo.  I don't know, I might still use a Fiberglass rod in the Winter time.

I just can't decide.  I'll wait for more reviews.  To tell the truth, after I get the Thomas paid for, I am thinking of splurging and getting a 7' Hardy 3wt Glass.  That seems to me to be the ideal Wintertime Midge Rod.
David,
I'll be getting a Redington 4 piced CT 2wt in soon. I'll post up a report of what I think.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:49 am • # 22 

what a pleasure to read this excellent topic. You guys are pros! thank you
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 pm • # 23 

I just went through this same thing myself recently, except with a VPS Light (supposedly the same rod).  I already owned a VPS-Light 379-3 since I liked my LL 590-3 so much.  I also had casted the LL 3wt a number of times but never could find one at the right price.  I can't say 100% that the VPSL has the same action as the LL but it felt like it.  I wanted something more packable so I picked up the Redington CT 376-4.

I agree the Sage is a little more sensitive and it has a little more tip flex.  The Sage also feels like more of the weight is concentrated in the butt, giving it a lower swing weight.  Some find it too light in the tip.  I've taken the Sage the last few years to CO/NM for small creeks and it does a great job with small dries and lots of short casts but (again agreeing with the initial post), it just didn't work as well when I tried to make longer casts or for hopper/dropper type combos.  I also wanted something that could double for a small bass/panfish rod.  The Redington really does do all that.  It does cast differently from the Sage but I don't find it to be terribly different.  The CT is a little what I call "willowy", where you can feel it in your hands more.  Probably that extra swing weight I was talking about.  Anyway, I used the CT for a week in CO in July and it was perfect.  Let's just say I never longed for pullling out the other rod.  Sure the LL (VPSL) is a dream for dries, which is really how Sage marketed it in the first place, but not an really as all around rod.  I rarely use my 590 for anything but dries and short lining nymphs for trout occasionally.  For the CT at $129 and 4pcs, and the fact that it even gets compared to an LL is pretty awesome and probably one of the best fly fishing deals going.

Oh yeah.  Almost forgot. New here but I decided to jump right in.   The smallest rods I currently own are 3wts--I'm hoping to resist the temptation to go smaller but we all know how that goes.

Last edited by preast on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:07 pm • # 24 
Administrator

Preast,
Welcome to UL Fly fishers! you're in dark territory friend. It won't be long before you slip lower & lower.
When you get a chance go to the welcome forum and tell us about yourself. If I'm not mistaken by your screen name I think I've seen you around the Texas Fishing Forum.Image

Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:14 pm • # 25 

Thanks KB.  Yep, I got here by clicking on your sig over there.  Thanks for the link!!  I'm liking the idea of this forum.  I was about to post to the Welcome post.

And while I'm at it, I might at well add my edits here:

On the CT, VERY nice cork, better than my Sage VT2 which costs about 3 times.  Appropriately sized grip.  Also I found the CT to roll cast a little better than the VPSL.  I should add that I have a Cabela's 3Forks and it casts pretty darn good in its own right but not as smooth as either of the others.  In case you can't tell, it's a thumbs up on the CT.  I'm thinking of buying an extra one for when they discontinue them.  -Randy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:29 pm • # 26 
Administrator

Randy,
I just bought my first CT, a 2wt 7'6" model. I'll be interested in seeing how it compares to Jerry's 3wt in the same length. That said, I have a VPS light 3wt in the 8'9" length-it's a powerful rod- one of the best I own.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:39 pm • # 27 

Les, I wanted to buy one of the 389s when I bought the other one but couldn't justify it. If it's anything like the LL 389-3, then it's up there on the all-time great list. There's a 389-4 on Ebay right now that is almost up to 500 bucks!  I'll be curious to hear about that CT 2wt--I was eyeing it pretty hard when I bought the 3wt.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 pm • # 28 
Administrator

I got mine on close-out at local fly shop- one of the best calls I've made.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 pm • # 29 
Administrator

preast wrote:
I agree the Sage is a little more sensitive and it has a little more tip flex.  The Sage also feels like more of the weight is concentrated in the butt, giving it a lower swing weight.  Some find it too light in the tip. 
Hi Randy,

Welcome!  My whole point in putting together this test was to find out if the CT is really based on the LL.  As you and everyone else I know who has cast both rods has found out they are absolutely *not* based on the same taper.  We're just trying to put that myth to rest now.

Having said that Les and I were both *very* impressed with CT and I think it's a fantastic rod.  I originally bought it thinking I'd sell it after we tested them but I put that thought to rest the first time I cast the CT.  Your comment about the weight in the butt of the LL is very likely due to the 3/4 oz of nickel-silver stuck on the LL real-seat versus the aluminum on the LL.

I still prefer the action of the LL to that of the CT  but it doesn't make one bad and one good.  They're just different.

Regards,

Jerry  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:21 pm • # 30 

Ahhh. Yeah, I did catch that but kinda lost the point somewhere. Definitely not the same taper. I bought the CT thinking I'd sell the VPSL but I can't bring myself to. I'm sure I will in time but there's no way I'd sell it if it were the LL version. Thanks for the welcome! Randy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:50 am • # 31 

Good scoop.......I sure enjoyed reading the comparisons. I have the St.croix Ultra and have never noticed the tip flex, maybe my casting style is a little different. I will pay more attention next time out for sure. I will say that the 3wt St. croix gives me the best feel when I am pulling a fly through grass near the bottom. I can feel every little bump. I wish there was somewhere close by where I could toss a CT. You have spiked my interest for sure................The CT series seems to have a resonable  price tag too.  Thanks for posting .....................I believe this forum has a few folks that really know how to toss an UL rod. I seem to always learn something.........Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:12 pm • # 32 

Thanks for thua reports, guys - and also for all the great insights about the nuances involved in the rods.

I've never tried the Redington CT, but I do have the Sage LL389 and the VPS. Just speaking for myself, the LL 389 is definitely the sweetest rod I've ever cast by a good margin. Although the Redington CT is not the same rod, it being so good in its own right has to make it a best buy.

I loved reading this thread and hope there's more tests to come!

-Jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 am • # 33 

This was a great thread. I didn't expect that the CT would be the LL in disguise, but it sounds like it is as close as you will get to one for $130. I just picked up the 7'6" 3wt CT over the weekend. Easily one of the best casting rod I own now. It makes me seriously regret spending what I have on some of my other rods when it casts every bit as good as they do at a fraction of the price. I was looking at a 3wt TXL, but after casting and fishing with this rod, I'm glad I didn't. I already have the 2wt on order.

Jake

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply