It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:55 am • # 1 

Hello
surfing on the net I found that polypropilen should be perfect for fly lines and furled leaders. It is a lot lighter that water (0,9) and perfectly water resistant. I tried it making furled leaders and it floats perfectly without any treatment!
It is very cheap (a very gentle producer donated me thousands of meters who should cost less that 10 euros).
It has about the same elasticity of nylon, then to make furled leaders with small tippet is a lot more useful that rigid materials.
It is soft and hasn't memory.
The "natural" color is white and I think it's perfect for a fly line.
The minus is that it is more delicate that dyneema or other: in my experiments I broken some strands using it. No problem because my furled leaders was useful without problems.
And actually I didn't find products with more that 2 strands: to use it like line at least it should be 8 strands, minimum 4 strands. Then or I buy or make a machine to make 8 strands products...or must wait that fishing or other industry discover it...
But anyway to make furled leaders it can be a very good alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:19 pm • # 2 

Zigo,

Thinking in a similar way, I bought some yellow, fine polypropylene crochet thread. It comes in various colors thicknesses: thin, medium, and thick from that particular manufacturer. Seems to me it is made of three strands twisted together. Anyway, after weighing 30 feet, it seems like it may work out on my 34-grain outfit after saturating and coating it, possibly by saturating it with silicone gel and coating with silicone caulk; or saturating it with vaseline and coating it with spar varnish. That's one of the things I hope to try out yet this summer in the southern hemisphere.

For the last two years I've been sucessfully using twisted nylon line coated with spar varnish as my UL fly lines in 34-grain, 54-grain, and 2-weight level configurations. It is a type of line the commercial fishermen here use for making their agressive nets.

After doing some testing I will get back to you all on the PP crochet thrad as fly line.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 pm • # 3 

I'm going to the hardware store, right now! Flyline is not cheap. Thanks, for the idea.

Bruce

Ps. Isn't dental floss polypropylene?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Bruce,
I don't know about dental floss, but ole Don use to create homemade quad 0000 lines from running lines which he treated with mucillin. from what I read that worked too.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm • # 5 

Bruce,

While you're at the hardware store you might do well to keep your eyes open for masons' line, the kind that bricklayers and such use for their dry-lines. As i recall it is a twisted nylon line. The first time buying the twisted nylon line that I now use as fly line, I was actually getting it to use as a dry-line while building my house. Since nylon has a higher specific gravity than PP it requires some treatment in order for it to float. On the other hand, that also makes it heavier in relation to its diameter, which may be an intersting quality. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:37 am • # 6 

Over the weekend I experimented a bit more with the idea of Polypropylene. I picked up some "thick" crochet thread from a local store, then measured out 30' and weighed it. It came in at 45 grains. It was then coated with car wax containing silicone, hopefully to use on a rod that loads with 54 grains. The line was fairly easy to cast and floated quite well. The biggest drawback was that it seemed a bit too limp, but the floatability was quite nice. This calls for further study...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 pm • # 7 

thanks PampasPete
I think that polypropilen doesn't need any treatment because it's lighter that water. I used it with no treatment and it floats very well, but only to make leaders. Did you ever triy lines in dyneema or silk? They are both more soft that usual lines and I tend to overweight a little to have more power. 54 grains is really very light. The softness can be seen like an advantage or disadvantage depending by your fishing style. A little like leaders: furled leaders are a lot more soft that nylon leaders, in a way more "weaks", but very useful in particular situations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:59 pm • # 8 

The idea of dressing the line with car wax is for two or three reasons. One is to increase the weight a bit without working very hard, Another is to decrease the friction and make the line a little easier to shoot out.

When I mentioned that the line is a bit too limp that is also because there was an issue with the line twisting. But in all fairness, that is probably more due to the way it was wound onto the reel.

Thanks for bringing this subject up. For some time I had been thinking about PP for fly line material, and you gave me the little bit of extra encouragement to go ahead and experiment some more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:12 pm • # 9 

You are welcome. Thanks to you to share your experiences.
I think that anyway the better PP feature is it's weight and consequently that it doesn't need treatment. But in last times I returned prefer the dyneema: cheap, easy to find in different measures and more smooth and uniform. It's more heavy that PP but anyway lighter that water. I use it treating it with only vaseline oil and I find it very easy to use.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply