It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Magnifiers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am • # 1 

I never know where my magnifying glasses are . Sure I have the kind that clip on the brim and some really crazy looking stuff from Cheena but when I get to looking for them I can never find them , also what if I'm not wearing a cap or hat that will support it ? Now we all know , or at least should know that Walmart sells reading glasses in a bulk pac , 3 for just over $8 with tax and they work good , UNTIL , they fall out of your pocket like mine did last week and ruined yet another 3hr float because I couldn't see to tie another fly on ! Well grab some old fly line and a small drill bit and we'll cure that problem right now . Drill a small hole on the very end of each frame arm from the inside out , now insert one end of the fly line from the inside and tie and overhand knot . Repeat on the other side adjusting length to where you like them hanging and tie another overhand knot on the outside so it doesn't rub your tingly little ears and you'll never lose another pair of magnifiers .
Ron

Post subject: Re: Magnifiers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:24 pm • # 2 

Good tip. I lost a few pair of (strong) readers for fly fishing as well until I fitted them retainers, but they were still a hassle since I wear prescription glasses. The flip down style never seemed to work right for me.

I went to progressive sunglasses, with a retainer. For prescription (bi-focal or) progressive (sun)glasses wearers, here's something that works pretty well for me. I tell the ophthalmologist that I am a fly fisher-tyer and ask if they can adjust my prescription so that the reader portion of my glasses will focus (at 9" which is) closer than most people hold books.

Also, those cool looking (ex. Ray Ban Predator - Men in Black) wrap-around shades lenses are curved and distort (very) close up vision just enough to make threading a hook a very hit or miss challenge. Use frames with a flat lens and if you can't find any with side shields and want them, add-on side shields are available.

Last edited by Brian_Miller on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Magnifiers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:25 pm • # 3 

Good ideas guys....

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply