It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:52 am • # 1 
Administrator

All,
Gene (pearow) created an inexpensive wooden line winder which he sold 5 as part of a fund raiser for the Lower Mountain Fork Foundation. It was small -approximately 5-6" wide- and had a simple crank handle, dowels, and two octagonal end plates. Although I don't have a photo yet, I can attest to the usefulness of the line winder.

To begin with, I placed an older green 5 wt level line in the line clamp and wound the line on as evenly as possible; following this, I took my wife's hair dryer and kept and steady flow of hot air on the line for a couple of minutes and left it to cool off.

Later I came back to clean the line and as I pulled line off the winder the tighter coils were gone- there seemed to be no memory. The Zip cast left the line with a nice finish. In a few posts on another site, Gene had also mentioned that leaving the line on the winder in the sun to warm up will achieve similar results : straightening kinks out.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 pm • # 2 

found a couple of pics-p-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:06 pm • # 3 

Very cool Gene!!!! I really like the reel handle for a crank. I see one of these in my future. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us tightwads.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:11 pm • # 4 

that reel handle is of some ole spincast reel from a garage sale; notice i had a dowel that i knocked around with my finger til i put on the reel handle

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply