It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Stuck Ferrules
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I certainly didn't think this one up--in fact I read about it in Gierach's Fishing Bamboo book about 10 years ago but never needed to try it until last week when Les and I were trying Pacchef's little 1 wt cane rod.

When I put it together I seated the ferrules firmly, like I always do, but when Les and I tried to take it apart the ferrules were stuck. Neither one of us could get it apart and it's a very light rod and could be easily broken by mishandling.

I remembered reading about the rubber inner tubes pieces in Gierach's book and ran out to the garage and found an old tube and cut a couple of 2" long pieces out of it.

You wrap a piece around the male and female ferrules and pull straight apart (no twisting on cane!). It worked great and required very little effort.

I now have inner tube pieces in my car, my vest, and my chest pack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:00 pm • # 2 
Administrator

great one- work better than I had expected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:24 am • # 3 

I have used the non-skid rubber "mats" for years for more leverage in pulling apart stuck ferrules. Buy a roll in Wal-Mart for about 5 bucks or less then cut two squares big enough to fit the palm of your hand. This gives you a bigger grip over the smaller pieces of rubber. I haven't looked but you might find a set of these packaged as something to set dishes on for a little cheaper than a whole roll.

Fremont, IN

Last edited by tailingloops on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am • # 4 

gave you a really good grip

Post subject: Re: Stuck Ferrules
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:42 pm • # 5 

Got my Winston stuck together after a shad trip. Tried ever thing to grip, hot, cold, etc ... Found this 4 hand cross over technique on the web. Worked the best!

Check out the link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 am • # 6 

When I was a kid my dad taught me to rub the male ferrel along my nose to coat it with a little "body oil" when putting a rod together. I am now 53 and I have never had a stuck ferrel. Gotta like those old timer ways. I'm sure he learned that trick from my grandfather.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 am • # 7 

I coat mine with beeswax once every couple of months and never have any trouble getting them apart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:45 pm • # 8 

The 4 hand trick works great. You can also sit, legs together, with the stuck ferrule behind your knees, grasp the rod with the hands on the outside of the knees, then spread your knees apart. The legs push the hands away from each other, putting a straight pull on the ferrules.

For many years I would wipe the male ferrule on my forehead. Never had a stuck ferrule. Then read that the skin oil could attract dirt that may cause wear on the ferrules. So now I carry a couple of birthday candles in a waist belt pocket of my fishing pack and rub around the top of the male ferrules as I'm assembling the rod.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply