It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cheap Strike indicators
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:08 pm • # 1 

Sticky Back Craft foam . Comes in several colors . I buy a sheet for about $1 ( Walmart or any craft store ) . Cut in strips, 1/2" wide , then into 1" pieces .( you wind up with pieces 1/2" x 1 " ) I get several hundred from a sheet . To use , remove paper backing and fold foam strip in middle , onto the sticky part of the foam in place(depth) where you want the indicator . I've used them twice so far and I didn't have any problems casting and it floated a #12 leech with a 1/8 brass beadhead . kirby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 am • # 2 

Kirby
I just had one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. I have a set of round punches just waiting to be used for this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:03 am • # 3 

Or you could just use a small balloon. My local grocery store carries water balloons in the toy section. Blow one up to the size of a marble, tie it around your leader with an overhand knot, and clip off the excess. You can slide it to whatever depth you want without kinking the leader.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:25 am • # 4 

The ability to slide it up and down as required is very appealing. I used a round piece of foam that I colored and a tooth pick to lock it in place. you could move it up and down as well. I'll have to try the balloons, why not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 am • # 5 

Just squeeze and pull on the balloon to remove it when you are done fishing. Be careful with how you discard the used ones. My girlfriend found one that fell out of my vest, and she was momentarily concerned that I was moonlighting as a drug mule.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:05 pm • # 6 

Man I got a ton of those stickers around, Great call, and I'll have the coolest indicators, stars, hearts, balloons lol!!

Justin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am • # 7 

For the past season or two, I've been using a pinch of raw long-fibre sheep's wool as a very lightweight strike indicator. It won't suspend a very heavy nymph, but if it's tucked into a loop-to-loop join at the tippet end of a furled leader, and then dubbed round for security, it's totally weightless, with no air resistance in casting (important when you're fishing ultralight) and doesn't seem to spook fish nearly as badly as foam.

The natural oils will keep it floating for a good long time, after which it takes up Gink-type floatant very reliably. And even if it sinks a little, it's still visible underwater in most circumstances.

Best of all, it's free from a wire fence near you! Just the stuff for the "Frugal Fly Fishing" forum!

Theo

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply