It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm • # 1 

Some of you may already be doing this......However, Clean you fly-rods with Lemon-Pledge. It easily cleans all the pond-scum / dirt / blood / and leaves your rod clean shinny and with a light film of wax. Be sure to clean the male part of the ferrules too. Since I started doing this, I have never had a joint want to stick when you are taking them apart. I have been using Lemon Pledge on aircraft windshields for years, it doesn't dull or yellow plexiglass and cleans the bugs off  too. I am going to go one step farther........I am out of line dressing and I am going to use it on my fly-lines.......I have a feeling it will do everything line dressing does at one heck of a cheaper price. Now I am no chemist.......I don't know what coatings are used on  our fly-lines, but I don't believe anything in the Lemon-Pledge will hurt them. I will post again after I have dressed my lines for a while with my results. If anyone else has been doing this, please reply back and let me know...........Works good on gun-stocks too............Don S. in SC     Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 pm • # 2 

I've heard of this for the rods before, but never line.  Please do keep us posted on the line part.   I've heard before that Pledge can actually attract dust and other fine particles, but that was years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:40 pm • # 3 

Tailingloop - I would be careful using it on fly lines. Certainly don't try it out on a $70 line first.
If you were to ask any of the line companies I am sure they would all recommend NOT to use it.
( i myself use Glide at home and 303 wipes on the water )
I am all ears as well.. waiting on the results. Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:03 pm • # 4 

Yes.....good advice, my plan is to use it on my oldest WF-F line (first)......it happens to be a mid-priced line so we will see. No.... I didn't plan on putting it on ALL my lines right off the bat, I guess that is what it sounded like. And thanks for the replies.................Don

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 pm • # 5 

Don,
A bottle of line dressing, or a tube, only costs about $5 and it will last for several years....... so why bother?
And for ferrules: Every time you purchase a Orvis rod they give you a free canister of bee's wax. I have a lifetime supply!!
But Pledge on a rod should be OK. I wash my rods every time I bring them home with warm soapy water. Especially the cork....... and bleach a couple times a year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 am • # 6 

TL: glad to see someone else uses pledge; good stuff; although they will caution you it has silicone in it. I use it all time to clean my rods and put a little protection on them-p-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm • # 7 

Honda motorcycle cleaner is what I use. You can get it at any Honda auto or motorcycle dealer. Here is a link I found about it. Works on everything!!

http://www.bernardiparts...._08C25-P011M-NXTGEN.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:55 pm • # 8 

I've been using pledge for a long time too.  In fact, Sage has been recommending furniture polish for years (not to clean but to protect): http://www.sageflyfish.co...g+Started/Rod+Care+Tips/ . I like the Pledge wipes--easy to pack.

I use wax on the ferrules too, but not pledge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm • # 9 

Thanks everyone.................I have been using Pledge on my oldest line................Right away I can see it does a great job of cleaning the line, and leaving a waxy finish. However, it just doesn't make the line slick to slide through the guides like I had hoped. Cleaning the line with Pledge and then applying a dressing seems to work OK......but of course the dressing will clean the line too. So I guess I would say cleaning your rod with Pledge and then cleaning and dressing the line with a proper dressing is a better idea. While in Alabama, Tony put some of Rob's "ZIPCAST" on one of his lines. He was really impressed with it. I did not get to try in on one of mine.........couldn't stop fishing long enough to apply it.................But I have ordered a bottle for myself and one for Tony.  Can't wait to see how well it works..........Thanks again everyone.......Don S. in SC  (TL)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:29 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Don,
The Zip cast is wonderful stuff for older lines-I highly recommend it to recondition ones that are at the end of thier life.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm • # 11 

I have been using WD40 to clean my rods for over 30 years and then car polish afterwards.   I have noodle stick rods that are over 20 years old and they look almost new.   WD40 to clean and car polish to shine.   Nice! Sage does tell you to use furniture polish for there rods.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 am • # 12 

I have been using pledge for my guitars for 20 years, but fly rods huh? you guys clean 'em do you, well now thats a novel idea, I might have to give that a try.
Thanks Don!!

Justin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm • # 13 

The best thing I've found for cleaning cork handles are Mr Clean Magic Erasures.  They look like sponges and will get even the dirtiest cork looking new in no time.

I even cleaned the lake scum off my aluminum Jon boat with them.  Was amazed how easily it cleaned the boat.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:11 am • # 14 

keebranch wrote:
Don,
The Zip cast is wonderful stuff for older lines-I highly recommend it to recondition ones that are at the end of thier life.

Les

I'll add a thumbs-up to the Zip Cast!  Great stuff............

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 am • # 15 
Administrator

Ablecane,
Welcome to UL Flyfishers! When you get a chance please go to
The welcome forum and tell
Folks about yourself - where, when, and how.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm • # 16 

dave potts wrote:
The best thing I've found for cleaning cork handles are Mr Clean Magic Erasures.  They look like sponges and will get even the dirtiest cork looking new in no time.

I even cleaned the lake scum off my aluminum Jon boat with them.  Was amazed how easily it cleaned the boat.

Dave

All great idea's, awhile back I read a report about someone using soft scrub to clean cork. I've tried it on a few of the old grungy rods I have picked up, and it also does an amazing job. It will remove 20 years of grime in just a few seconds leaving the cork looking brand new. (Also) maybe not recommended, but I have on occation used it to spot clean some of the super dirty vintage rods blanks I have picked up over the years, then follow it up with a good wash and waxing. I don't think I would use it on a rod that already looks good though, since it is an abrasive.

Then if the cork is real old and dry, I put a really light coat of wipe on poly on it. I just wipe it on, and then back off. It seems to give the cork a more youthful feel in the hand, and may firm it up a little bit. Once its dry, visually you would never know it was ever applied.

Last edited by Charged on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 pm • # 17 

& Pledge is great on reels. Will have to give the Magic Eraser a try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 am • # 18 

A dirty rod makes you look like you catch a lot of fish. A clean rod makes you look like a newby. :hat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 am • # 19 

haha sometimes you have no idea what is in your kitchen and what could actually help you out with cleaning your fishing gear!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:31 am • # 20 

As a rod builder, I avoid anything with silicone in it -- it will cause fisheye in finishes. Why not use a good paste wax like Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax?

--Rich

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply