It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:59 pm • # 1 

It has been so hot here lately, I have been looking for a small simple bag to carry just a couple of fly boxes......a spool of tippet, an extra leader, bug float, insect spray etc..........Only what I need when wading the Saluda river. I looked at all the "fly-fishing" waist and shoulder bags and didn't find anything I really liked. (I won't buy any Fishpond products anyway) Then I started looking at fanny-packs..........too fat, to big, no neck-strap....
just nothing that I liked. THEN. . . . At "Walley-World" in the campers section......I found a neat little bag (with a shoulder/ neck-strap) that would carry just what I wanted for $6.88. It is just marked "outdoor products". It has a velcro flap, covering two zippered compartments. The big compartment will hold two good-sized fly boxes, a spare leader, a roll of tippet with a little room left over. The smaller compartment will hold floatant, insect spray, and other small items. I used it in the river today.....WORKS GREAT.....I sling it and then slide it around my back and it is so light you will forget it is there. When I need to change a fly, I just slide it around to the front....get what I need, and slide it back out of the way. The vest was just plain TOO HOT lately.....it has been right at 100 degrees for several weeks.
  ANY WAY..................Take a look.

Image  Image

Image  Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Why pay big bucks for packs aimed at FF when there are usable ones not marketed to use that work fine, and cost less.

Nice score Don.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:18 pm • # 3 

Not too shabby :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 pm • # 4 
Administrator

That's a home run- nice job

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 am • # 5 

Looks like it will work great!  I have a couple of fanny packs of different sizes that hold 2 water bottles and enough stuff.  I get overheated easily.  I couldn't help but notice the spool of tippit material.  Took my neighbor, just learning to fly fish, to Sportsmans Wharehouse the other day and he was picking up some tiny spools of tippit.  I trotted him across the store to the far wall aand showed him the 100 yard spools for less than the 30's.  He scratched his head and said that someone is trying to take advantage of someone!  He's catching on!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 am • # 6 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Cool! I was looking at that to but my Art Bin copycat boxes wouldnt fit so i didnt get one. I did get an Orvis passage satchel bag on clearance for 25 bucks and it super nice and holds what I need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am • # 7 
Administrator

I was at Walmart the other day and looked at the packs. They had one fanny pack that carries two water bottles. Hydration is something that I feel is important, I will probably go back and pick it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm • # 8 

Yes............J.      I looked at the one with the two water bottles also. I passed on that one because where I fish the Saluda river...(in the summer), I can walk back to my truck in about three minutes (If I really get thirsty), where I keep an Ice chest.  Trouble is, Rob can tell you, that once I start fishing.......I don't want to stop. I normally fish the last 2 to 3 hours of the day and can wait until I am done to refresh. So I went with the little bag.
Both bags are a bargain, I don't remember what the bag with the watter bottles cost, but it was nothing compared with the "FF bags".  I don't think anyone could go wrong with either bag........ Don S. in SC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm • # 9 
Administrator

I think the dual water bottle pack was about $11.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 am • # 10 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
I lost to many water bottles on the Orvis hip pack I used to have so I went with one of the Walmart hydration pack last year and I use it everytime I am especially if I have my lab with me as she needs water constantly on the long walks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:51 am • # 11 

I've been looking for a sling/chest pack for a while now, not wanting to shell out the money for a "fly fishing" pack, this is exactly what i was looking for, i haven't tried it out yet but for 7 bucks you can't go wrong.  Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm • # 12 
Administrator

I ended up buying the pack with the dual water bottles. $10 is hard to pass up. I've used it once so far and I really like it. It was hot as Hades that day, and having both bottles was a blessing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm • # 13 

Also check out your local charity/op shop. Picked up a similar sling bag and a travellers pack for $6

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply