It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 am • # 1 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Was in the Dollar Tree store recently and seen some cell phone or camera cases semi hard surfaces with zipper and would think they be good to use hold a bunch of flies. Lately I been hoarding about 5 -6 boxes when I go bluegill fishing and dont even use them all and lugging all that around is getting to me. I am going back and get them and glue some foam inside. Also my local Pat Catans craft store has some nice small boxes for less than a buck a piece I bought one and like them. Pictures forthcoming.
Anyone want to start a thread from all the ideas and poosts pictures? I am up for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 am • # 2 
Administrator

Phish,
Have you taken photos of these? If so we can probably help you with posting them.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:51 pm • # 3 

What kind of glue are you using? I tried Krazy Glue in some of those soap boxes from Walmart with foam from Hobby Lobby & the glue isn't really taking hold?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 am • # 4 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
Les I didnt buy them yet. Since I didnt even bother try going out in the cold carappy weather but got to take the dog over to the farm to let her run around to get the energy off her. I will pick up a couple today and post some pictures tonite.

As for glue/adhesives, I will cut and trim the foam to the box and then spray 3M Scotch 77 adhesives to one side wait til it get tacky then carefully insert in place. Been doing this for a long time and works great. One thing to keep in mind use Denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol)to wipe down surface where the foam will be used on. A very important step!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:02 pm • # 5 

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 am • # 6 

Well I went to the closest Dollar Tree store near me and they didnt have them boxes so I will have to wait til I get chance to back to the other store that I seen them. Ugh!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 pm • # 7 

Finally stopped at the Dllar Tree store where I had seen the cases and they have a bunch of them. Still a buck a piece picked up 3 and will glue some 6mm foam to one side for now. They are super light so I am sure they will float well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm • # 8 

Nice, should make a good looking/functional fly box.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:54 pm • # 9 

Good find!.

I got this as a Christmas joke and finally got around to putting it to a good use. Was told they came from one of the Dollar stores. They are those credit card holders made of aluminum and do float.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 am • # 10 

Cool box! I havent seen those at all here but keep an eye out for them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm • # 11 

ImageImage
A fishing buddy gave these to me so I installed the foam and have been experimenting with them the last two years, there a little slippery with my hands while fishing not sure Ill keep using but they make a good fly storage box anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 am • # 12 

add some strips of skate board tape, this is what I did to my small plastic boxes I got from cabelas long time ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 am • # 13 

I add a second piece of foam, cut into strips with my wife's "zig" scissors; I take a sharp razor blade and cut thru the "v" so the fly can be inserted in the foam without sticking the hookpoint in the foam. These are crude, but effective-p-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm • # 14 

You can buy aluminum boxes similar to those "American Snuff" boxes shown above from any Hobby Lobby store. They sell them for a dollar and are used to put their gift cards in. Look for them around the checkout counters.

You can then glue foam inside them to hold the flies.

Dave

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply