It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: cheap hooks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm • # 21 

Interesting, I didn't know that. Unfortunately they don't have flytyer magazine on the rack here...and I don't have a subscription, so unless they have that article online I won't get to read it. :( I'll have to see if it's on their website, maybe I'll get lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 am • # 22 

I will still pay the price and purchase barbless hooks, it's a personal thing. I buy a lot of Gamakatsu barbless hooks direct from them at $21.65 per 100 pack. Shipping is $7.00 regardless of how many items are purchased so I usually load up with 500+ hooks when I order to reduce the total shipping cost. The other hook I use a lot are Dohiku, a Slovakian hook manufacturer that is well known in the European pro fishing circuit. That is the hook I use for my dropper fly that has been so successful for me. They are more expensive at $33.00 per hundred. As I have said before it is a personal choice and I am not advocating that everyone should use barbless hooks. I do advocate that all flies should have their barbs mashed down before one uses it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 pm • # 23 

Sierra Trading Post has Tiemco barbless hooks for sale. Only size 16 and 20 but with today’s special promo I ordered 1,500 hooks and ended up paying only $11.52 per hundred and got free shipping. The normal price for the Tiemco hooks is $36.50 so I felt it was a good deal.

The style works great for bead head nymphs as the bend at the eye causes the hook to ride point up. It can also be used for emergers where you fish it in the film with the point hanging below the surface.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:36 am • # 24 

Joe C wrote:
Sierra Trading Post has Tiemco barbless hooks for sale. Only size 16 and 20 but with today’s special promo I ordered 1,500 hooks and ended up paying only $11.52 per hundred and got free shipping. The normal price for the Tiemco hooks is $36.50 so I felt it was a good deal.

The style works great for bead head nymphs as the bend at the eye causes the hook to ride point up. It can also be used for emergers where you fish it in the film with the point hanging below the surface.

Thanks will need to order some from there. That is a great deal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 am • # 25 

Joe C wrote:

I just signed up, but I did not see the same deal ($20.95 + 30% sign-up discount, still good though). Anyways, I picked up some 200RBL in #10 and #12 as they looked good. I think I'll be tying mostly Stimulator and Clouser Swimming Nymph on these.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:59 pm • # 26 

I got a STP eDeal flier and paid $12.57 for a 100-pack of the #16 TMC 108SP-BL Hooks. Besides the challenge I have threading #20s with a gossamer tippet, it's hard enough for me to tie a #20 fly that I'd rather pay a buck-and-a half or less to let someone else squint and cuss for the number of them I'd use.

I splurged and picked up some other foo-fa-raw; the tall Gravel Guards I'd use to hike to blue lines and wet wade for $3, the UPF 50 Fingerless Gloves for $6.25 and the Rio Nippers for 60% off list too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 am • # 27 

I have become very cautious in purchasing bargain brand hooks.
Two years ago I purchased a bunch of inexpensive hooks that were being promoted on another forum. I normally use Daiichi, Tiemco, and/or Mustad, with Daiichi being my #1 choice. I tied several flies on the bargain hooks and hit the local lake chasing 'gills. First couple hits I got good hookups and landed the fish, but then my hookup ratio dropped dramatically (like one out of 5). Switched to a fly tied on Daiichi hook and caught 10-12 'gills with no problems. Carefully sharpened the bargain hook, tied it back on, and hooked the first gill, then the missing hookups repeated.
The cheap hooks felt really sharp right out of the package, but were dull after catching one or two fish. The "brand name" hooks were sharp right out of the package and stayed sharp!
I go to fish, not spend my time sharpening hooks, so I trash canned the rest of the bargain hooks. ::)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 am • # 28 

I normally use Mustad, Eagle Claw and TMC.

I've tried cheap hooks (non-Mustad) before. The only problem I had was with Allen's, recommended on another forum about 2 years ago (they used to give away free fly boxes). The defect rate was so high. Since then they updated all their models, but I've never tried the new ones.

By the way, I found a fly tying video using TMC 108SP-BL (pic in earlier post) on Vimeo. Rich Strolis shows his shucked up emerger pattern tied on #16. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a link here, so if you are interested, check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 pm • # 29 

If you don't want to stick the link here, send me a PM with it. I have 2,000 of those hooks and would be interested in a fly designed for that style hook :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 pm • # 30 

okimoto wrote:

I've tried cheap hooks (non-Mustad) before. The only problem I had was with Allen's, recommended on another forum about 2 years ago (they used to give away free fly boxes). The defect rate was so high. Since then they updated all their models, but I've never tried the new ones.

By the way, I found a fly tying video using TMC 108SP-BL (pic in earlier post) on Vimeo. Rich Strolis shows his shucked up emerger pattern tied on #16. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a link here, so if you are interested, check it out.

okimoto,
I wasn't going to name the brand of bad hooks, but you had the same ones.
The fly line I tried was junk, too. ::)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm • # 31 

Joe C wrote:
If you don't want to stick the link here, send me a PM with it. I have 2,000 of those hooks and would be interested in a fly designed for that style hook :)

Here is the address; it's not a link, so you need to copy and paste it to the browser.
vimeo.com/9120445#

I saw two other patterns at Japanese sites: Klinkhammer style emerger and EHC (basically the hook eye is away from the head, easier to thread a tippet). I didn't see a fishing report, so probably the tiers were experimenting with the hook.

Anyways, here is a little comparison. The hook on the left is Eagle Claw 413 #2 I use for saltwater streamers (just Clouser Deep Minnow so far, but worked), and the right is TMC 108SP-BL #12 (just received 500 this afternoon). Note: the orientation of the eye is different.

There was an article in a fly fishing magazine saying this type hooks (60° jig) works better than a regular streamer hook for tying flies (don't remember the source). 108SP-BL has a 30° angle, but I wonder if a similar theory holds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 pm • # 32 

okimoto wrote:

I bought Allen hooks a few months ago. They were pretty cheap...and very cheap! Probably 1/10 of them didn't have a point at all. So bad that I didn't contact them...not worth my time. The brand is pushed pretty much over on another forum....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 am • # 33 

sbreech wrote:
I bought Allen hooks a few months ago. They were pretty cheap...and very cheap! Probably 1/10 of them didn't have a point at all. So bad that I didn't contact them...not worth my time. The brand is pushed pretty much over on another forum....

Sorry to hear that. At least I got a few fly boxes for free. That covered the cost of hooks I had to throw away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am • # 34 

okimoto wrote:
sbreech wrote:

Sorry to hear that. At least I got a few fly boxes for free. That covered the cost of hooks I had to throw away.
hmmmm, I won't hijack the thread but being frugal should include discernment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:04 pm • # 35 

On the other end of the spectrum of good deals, I've found the Umpqua U series of hooks to be quite a good value and very durable hooks. They are the best deal I can find around here at $6.75 for 50. From time to time, however, I can get mustad and daiichi at Gander Mountain for $2.50 per 25, but only in the clearance very small hooks selection (perfect for the UL guys like us!)

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 35 posts ] New Topic Add Reply