It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:22 am • # 1 

I have read in last days in a french forum that some of them are trying a different way to recycle old (and new cheap) fly lines. The modern fly lines have a lot of advantages compared to old silk lines, but they are more rigid, they have "memory" and are thicker that natural lines.
Well some french fisherman removed the plastic surface from modern fly lines putting them 24 hours in ...sorry I didn't found the translation. In italian is called "acetone" (dimetilchetone, propanone e beta-chetopropano): it's a solvent used by women to remove nail warnish. Very easy to find.

It removes the "hard" surface from the lines. Then they grease what remains of the line usually with red mucilin, or before the mucilin treat them with oil like silk fly lines.

I'm waiting for tomorrow to buy "industrial" 100% acetone (the one of my mate and my daughter doesn't seem 100%) and try it.

In the same forum some of them are trying even to make level fly lines using dyneema or dacron lines treated as silk lines.
For who knows french:
http://www.moucheur.com/soien.html
http://peche-mouche-seche.xooit.fr/t160 ... urelle.htm
http://www.mouche-fr.com/forum/impregna ... 22927.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 am • # 2 

I regularly use acetone to remove the outer coating on the ends of fly lines to install loop connectors; thus removing the outer core will make the loops smaller; I make them more rigid by slipping a piece of 12# mono inside the stripped off section-p-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:30 pm • # 3 

@pearow
I'm trying to do it now, it's the first time that I try it. How do you remove the outer part? How many time you leave the line inside acetone? Then do you use something (a cutter or so) to remove it?
I left the line about 24 hours in acetone, but it lost only the color and remained "hard". The outer part is still there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:35 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Zigo, you should be able to remove the coating with a fingernail.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm • # 5 

I put it in and count to 60; remove it and dry off the acetone with a paper towel, then use my thumbnail to remove the outer layer; never had a problem using this method-p-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 am • # 6 

It was really simple, thanks. Important is that the acetone doesn't dry.
I removed all the outer layer from an old Scientific Angler wf4f and I'm surprised to see that inside there is a braider core of the same thickness and weight from the top to the end of the line (very light, 30 feet about 32 grains). I supposed that the thickness of the internal core was different, but in real, at least in this line, the different weight and thicness is made by the outer layer.
Do you know if it's the same in all the lines?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 pm • # 7 

Its not; they have different core for different applications as I understand it. Some tropical lines have a mono core if I remember correctly(I'm far from being a fly line expert!!)-p-

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply