It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:01 am • # 1 

What websites do U all use 2 buy fly gear rods, reels, tyin materials etc?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:20 am • # 2 

Madison River Fishing Co. for the closeout items. Red Truck Fly fishing for the closeout or sale on lines mainly. Sierra Trading Post for what ever. Fly Shop Closeouts for mainly reels and some leaders. UpCountry Sportfishing for used rods/reels. Cabela's, LL Bean, Bass Pro etc. for mainly sale items.
I use the web to find stuff especially on sale that I can't get locally. Problem is I end up with more stuff than I can use in the next 5 years. Be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 pm • # 3 

For tying materals I like "Hook and Hackle", man there is very nice and always sends my stuff out pronto ! They have some good fly lines that are reasonably priced too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:51 pm • # 4 

caddisflyshop.com. They ship for free after 25 bucks. I mostly buy fly tying materials. No tax free shipping, cant be beat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:55 am • # 5 

I agree with MRFC and HookHack.. but my latest is RedTruck.
When they dump - they dump it out on the cheap.
You do have to sign up.. but boy is it worth it. Just my opinion. Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Don't forget Sierra Trading post for lines and some old stock tackle...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 am • # 7 

I am looking to get a 8wt Rod that I can use for Saltwater Tarpon down in the Caribbean or also for Flathead Catfish, Pike or wipers in Nebraska where I live or possibly even for Steelhead or Salmon in the great lakes area of Chicago/Wisconsin/Indiana where I grew up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 am • # 8 

I'm a huge fan of Stillwater Fly Shop (dot com). Their prices are not always the best, but you usually get a free line with the purchase of a rod or reel. That makes them very competitive. They're friendly, give good advice, and it seems like they ship your stuff ten minutes after you order it. They seem eager to earn your repeat business and that's very refreshing nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 pm • # 9 

Fortunately, I have several fly shops within 30 min drive. Having said that, I like Cabela's bargain bin and Orvis tent sale. I buy most of my tying materials from J. Stockard; they usually have some specials and I like their customer reviews. I also use Jann's Netcraft. I buy Mustad hooks from Captain Hook. I had two bad experiences on eBay, so I'm staying away from them (not eBay itself but dishonest vendors using eBay).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:33 am • # 10 

I just got an order from J. Stockard. I bought a bunch of stuff ($65 in tying materials) and they threw in 3 bags (25 ea) of hooks I didn't ask for. Not sure when I'll need size 6 and 8 streamer hooks, but can't complain about free...they were fast too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:29 pm • # 11 

I can add a second on Madison River close outs, I check in there pretty often, and I have had good luck doing business with Hook & Hackle as well. I would add little River Outfitters to the list. I have been in their store and ordered online, they are good folks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 am • # 12 

Madison river, caddis fly and Sierra trading posts and Stillwater. Just look at the close outs and sale items.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:29 am • # 13 

I'm all about saving money and agree with most of the sites mentioned, just don't forget about your local fly shop. If I can't find what I want at a very good price I will spend a little more and support our local little guys. That's just me, kinda like trying to buy American whenever possible.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 am • # 14 

Sierra Trading Post (although you have to be a little careful--some items may be cheap because the quality is lacking). I picked up two Hardy Lightweight reels on sale at Bass Pro last year (!) although the shipping killed me. The Stillwater free line deal is great--got a Hardy fiberglass rod and a free Rio line from them.

I do support my local shop.

Orvis bugs me--they're sort of the Evil Empire, and I don't go for Gold reel seats.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 pm • # 15 

I live in Australia and buy most of my gear in the US, for lines and tippet material I use MRFC cant fault them for price and from ordering to receiving usually only a week and as I always have plenty it is never needed in a rush.Before I come to the states I usually put in an order for a selection of what is needed with Yellowstone anglers of Livingstone and they hold it there for me to pick up and have pretty handy advice when you walk through the front door.Also I just received in the mail a Sage TXL built for me by Mark Waldin of FlyCatcher Inc he was excellent from start to finish all done over the net couldnt reccommend him high enough and at a fraction of the cost of buying one built by Sage.But for general bits and pieces definitely MFRC.
Muz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 pm • # 16 

I support my local shop for items they have in stock but use Sierra Trading Post frequently from "Top Secret Sale" email flyers; mostly shirts, pants and shorts for fishing, and fleece slippers, but got a real nice Simms Classic Guide wading jacket for 60% off. I research online reviews for the items I buy but have returned a ridiculously low-priced Redington RS4 9' 4 weight rod that was a broomstick and returned or exchanged a few items that didn't fit well. I would never go to a local shop to try before I buy online.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 pm • # 17 

Me to Brian, important to support local fly shops, must keep the small
Retailer in business.. I use the River city fly shop, in Beaverton Oregon, my good friend Don Nelon is the owner and you will not find a better person to do business with ... If he doesn't have the item in inventory I will wait until he can order it for me ...that turns me off also trying out an item locally then buying it on the net ...I've used rods and reels from the fly shop and returned them because i did not like them without any questions asked ... Nice to have that kind of relationship with a local fly shop ......good friendly people to deal with
Paul

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ] New Topic Add Reply