It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Cheap Fly Tying station
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm • # 1 

I made a very sturdy fly tying station out of a damaged wooden chair. The chair legs were damaged and after looking at it I saw that the seat was wide enough for fly tying and the base that the legs are attached to make perfectly flat stand offs. I removed the legs and forks that support your back, next I sanded the seat down with an electric sander and painted it with some old white paint left over from my kitchen, next I took a piece from the leg to make a rail to mount my vise and tying tools, sand them down and use the same paint as the base, next just find some old metal or pvc tubes to use as a stand off to mount the rails on, next use wood screws to mount your rails, next drill some large holes in the rails to mount your tools, Test fit everything until your satisfied. I made this fly tying station from just things laying around the house. I can take this station from room to room with no fuss.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:59 pm • # 2 

Pictures please.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm • # 3 

I made one out of one of those TV dinner tables. Those ones that are basically just a wood plank on two collapsible X legs. Then I used some basic white cardboard paper to make a box on that with about a 1 inch lip to keep all the fluff from out. I then made a 3 inch gap in the paper wall that I keep temporarily closed using an index card paper clipped to the walls on each side of the gap. The gap allows me to open it and brush all the debris through it and into a trash can when the table must be cleaned. The advantage to this nice table is that its collapsible and can be transported and quickly deployed somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Nick,
that one sounds good and practical. One thing I like about frugal solutions is that in the event that a cheap item is lost or broken, there's not much invested- not much to fret over...

Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm • # 5 

Additionally, to hold all my head cement and certain tools, I took a big chunk of that dense green hard foamy stuff flowers sometimes come in, carved out two square holes for the bottles, then stuck all my tools in the rest. It's that stuff made out of what seems like year old hard bread. Little air pockets and such.

My bottles will now never tip over, my brushes stand straight up, and all the little tools I use like paper clips and thumb tacks and razor blades stick right in there and stay.

Also attached curved paper clips to the side and hung all my bobbins on them. Now I got 4 bobbins with thread loaded hanging off the side to grab very quickly should I need them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am • # 6 

I can cook a TV Dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm • # 7 

pictures help us see your frugalness!!-p-

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply